136 upvotes
ugh, why did you delete his last words?
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2803 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Rehan wrote: Thankfully not the whole world feels so self-centered and self-entitled.
Or under 25 years old, and obsessed with the notion that their insurance rates will rise because of their poor driving habits.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2803 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
_protege_ wrote: Yes, it is stupid to fight a traffic ticket. Stupid to get it thrown out. Stupid to not get your insurance rate increased.
And that is the primary motivation to fight the ticket, is it not? Not every ticket causes an insurance rate increase, and they certainly are not affected by parking tickets.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4474 posts
4000 upvotes
Toronto
FazerRider wrote: do you know what makes the wheels lock? it doesn't look like the carts have transponders and electric brakes in them.
I don't know how it works, but I see plenty of people take these carts off of supposedly-theft-proof parking lots. When they reach the spot where the wheels lock, they lift up one set of wheels and drag it a little bit, then set it down again and the wheels no longer lock.
Jan 25, 2006
308 posts
51 upvotes
Fight It. $450 is way too much. It's not like you double parked a lamborghini with the personalized license plate "THE MAN" over two handicapped spots.

Corrolla265 wrote: some very harsh comments here,

this is exactly what happend, i told my daughter who is 8 by the way to wait near the door with the grocerries so I can pull up the car to the front, our car was way back and I dont think my 8 year old child can push 2 full carts all the way to the back of the lot, also there is bars that restrain you from taking the carts at all. when I came back and parked the car in the handi cap spot my daughter was inside fooling around with the vending machines, I than purchased some ice, this all took no more than 2-3 minuites tops, I came out and saw there was a ticket and it was mine cause there was obvioisly my licence number on that ticket. anyways whats done is done, now my question as i asked before, instead of bashing people like 5 year olds why dont you give some positive feedback.
and the reason i do not want to pay the ticket is due to the fact that councillors in city hall can sit on their fat ass and have citizens like us pay for their vications, and aspirin pills. you all know what I am talking about and how corrupt most of them are so please dont tell me to pay a 450 dollar ticket so some person can go to a 5 store hotel in shanghai

Can I appeal the judges decison?
Nov 20, 2003
525 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I believe that the courts are very firm with the handicap parking business.
You can try to fight it in court, but, I think that you will lose as the court really do not accept any excuses when it comes to handicap parking.
Google it to see how others have faired in this situation.

Therefore, be prepared to pay for the whole ticket.
kookieMonster2k2 - GTA Baby!!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2803 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kookieMonster2k2 wrote: I believe that the courts are very firm with the handicap parking business.
You can try to fight it in court, but, I think that you will lose as the court really do not accept any excuses when it comes to handicap parking.
Google it to see how others have faired in this situation.

Therefore, be prepared to pay for the whole ticket.
And with a value of $450, it will not get overlooked like the $25-30 parking tickets sometimes do, as indicated in that earlier Star article.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
2052 posts
11 upvotes
Looks like he was Banned for Personal Attacks. Soon enough he'll make another account and ask a similar question lol
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
I am not sure why people are comparing fighting speeding tickets to fighting this. True it's your right to fight either. But in the case of a speeding ticket, there are almost always some circumstances you can argue and in a lot of cases those circumstances (even excuses) are valid. In this case the guy just knowingly parked in a handicap spot, which there is really no excuse for.

I personally am very happy to hear the fine is as large as it is for the infraction. It's exactly what people who do that deserve. It's just the pinnacle of ignorance, and laziness to do what he did.
Dec 27, 2007
644 posts
4 upvotes
What is wrong with our society?!?!

What happened to accepting responsibility for your own conduct? Or is it that they believe everyone else should follow the rules...but not themselves.

Bloody hell, people need to learn the difference between a legal defense and a stupid excuse.

People who go to court with a stupid excuse should be assessed a further fine. Hell, I would be ok if the losing party (crown or defendant) had to pay the other side's costs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5644 posts
1378 upvotes
I perfectly understand the outrage over this type of offence.

However, when dealing with legal matters, one must deal with the law only, and leave emotion aside.

One must remember that there is a difference between legality and morality. Morally the OP should just pay the ticket. Legally, the OP can fight it.
31 upvotes
There aren't enough law enforcement to give all the stupid people their stupid fines. Luckily there was one around this time.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
46480 posts
6882 upvotes
Richmond Hill
_protege_ wrote: So next time you get a ticket Jon Lai, please be a chump and go pay it.
If I was as stupid as OP and parked where I knew wasn't legal, then I would pay the full amount on the ticket. If I was OP, I would feel disgrace to have broken the law, and paying the fine would only have been the punishment that OP deserved in this case. If it happened to me, I would've done the same thing.

A few years back I was redoing my driveway and parked the car on the road overnight, received a ticket from the city for $35 for parking between 2:30 and 6:00am. I didn't know about this by-law at the time, but guess what, I owned up to it and paid it. I googled it up, the by-law existed, I was guilty, I paid it.

The system allows you to fight tickets when you believe the officer booked you for something you didn't do, not for something that you did on purpose and you were well aware that you were doing it despite that. People just keep abusing it, and guess what, that means all taxpayers is helping them pay THEIR fines when all other taxpayers did not contribute to committing that crime.

How fair is that?
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
125 upvotes
Chatham
_protege_ wrote: Silly argument? Why don't you learn to think for yourself?

The reality of the situation is that most people already do not own up to their fine and pay it. The ones that do are a doormat. Most people would rather dispute it. Disputing a traffic ticket is a part of our legal process. The government anticipates this and the money is budgeted for it regardless. Yes, less people disputing their ticket would mean less taxpayer money put towards traffic court. Will this be a significant amount? Probably not. What kind of backwards thinking is this? To think "hmmm if I own up to it, hopefully everyone else will, and our taxpayer money won't be wasted". How naive are you? Come back down to earth. People will take advantage of whatever they can to help themselves out of a situation like a traffic ticket. For every 3 people that own up to their ticket, theres gonna be 15 others that are willing to fight it. If this if that, please. If we all stopped driving cars the environment would be better off.

To generalize who pays their taxes and who "mooches off others' contributions" based on who/who doesn't pay their traffic tickets is ******** thinking. I pay a lot of taxes, and if I get a ticket I will damn well make sure I fight it because a couple dollars of my taxes have gone into the legal system. I'd better damn well use the legal system. Just because one fights a traffic ticket means they're mooching off other people's taxes? How pathetic.

Yes, it is stupid to fight a traffic ticket. Stupid to get it thrown out. Stupid to not get your insurance rate increased. Please.
Yes, if I fight a traffic ticket, the world revolves around me. hahaha.
I'm sure taxpayer money put towards fighting traffic tickets is at the bottom of the list of inefficient government spending.

Do yourself a favour. If you ever get a traffic ticket please always pay for it. The ticket and cop indicate that you are guilty, therefore you should be. If you don't fight your ticket I will love you to death because you'll be saving us taxpayers so much money! yay! you saved us a few dollars. But wait, theres 20 other people fighting that same ticket.

Peace out.
Let me guess, you're a scum with no job....
Jul 18, 2007
444 posts
66 upvotes
Nicely said.
mystery wrote:
However, when dealing with legal matters, one must deal with the law only, and leave emotion aside.

One must remember that there is a difference between legality and morality. Morally the OP should just pay the ticket. Legally, the OP can fight it.
Jan 4, 2006
503 posts
3 upvotes
North of Toronto
mystery wrote: I perfectly understand the outrage over this type of offence.

Legally, he knew exactly what he was doing. He knew parking in the spot was an offense. He didn't come on here and say "the spot wasn't clearly marked" or "there was no sign". He admits he knowingly parked in a handicap spot to save him some time running into a store. If he nows goes into the court to fight it using any other excuse, he is clearly lying to them. Which is likely exactly what he will do now.

That is why I don't really agree with all the posts comparing this to fighting a traffic ticket, or an unwarranted ticket. The guy knowingly committed an offense (and an idiotic one at that), knowing what the results could be. And he is now on here whining about it. Yes people are right when they tell him he can fight it. But it should also always be prefaced with the statement that he is an idiot for knowingly parking there, and that he deserves exactly what he got.

In an ideal world the judge would tell him the same thing because in this case, that really is the bottom line. Legally and morally.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5729 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]The guy knowingly committed an offense (and an idiotic one at that), knowing what the results could be. And he is now on here whining about it. Yes people are right when they tell him he can fight it. But it should also always be prefaced with the statement that he is an idiot for knowingly parking there, and that he deserves exactly what he got.[/QUOTE]

Well put!

Morality has taken a back seat, and it's sad to see!

As for _protege_, if you got a ticket like lexnar did herehttp://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=724855 THEN I would agree, he knew nothing or had no ability to deal with the situation at the time, THIS GUY knew ACACTLY what he did but isn't taking responsibility for them.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
28063 posts
4267 upvotes
Montreal
noel08 wrote: +1

It's as if he wanted to make a... 'statement'. I certainly hope he was given the proper ticket... times four; that too would have sent a message.
What? I'm a quadraplegic and I get on spot for each limb?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
you shouldn't get a lawyer (if it warranted), you shouldn't try to get a reduced penalty? basically, you should just take it? whatever you're charged with, just admit and take the penalty?

That's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard.
is it not the accuse's right to due process?
should he/she not be able to defend him/herself in a court of law?

whether or not the ticket is warranted or what the ultimate decision is of the judge, you guys are suggesting the OP throw out his rights and just take it?

and to the person who questioned my original post, no i was not kidding, i've had multiple parking infractions thrown out that way. call me selfish if you will, but i prefer more money in my pocket rather than less.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2003
3276 posts
58 upvotes
mystery wrote: I perfectly understand the outrage over this type of offence.

Legally they are entitled to fight it. They just can't expect the majority of people to be on their side. Most of us are frustrated when we have to park a kilometer away from the store, when there are a bunch of open handicapped space, but we do it. Don't expect our sympathies or help if you get caught for this