• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 3:02 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2017
20 posts
22 upvotes

problem with real estate lawyer

I purchased the property and closed it on June 30th
after 3 weeks, i received Property Tax Overdue Statement under previous owner's name, so i immediately contacted my lawyer to check what is going on.
however, my lawyer didn't send change of ownership to the city until i called them.
and another 3 weeks past, i received property tax statement from city with my name but all overdue interests and statement fees were charged to me.
so i sent request to lawyer to pay those overdue fees incurred due to their ignorance but they are refusing to pay.
after few arguing emails, now lawyer is threatening me she will not deal with me any more.
also, after the closing date, i requested my closing documents and closing fee breakdowns numerous times but didn't receive anything and now lawyer is telling me it will take 60 business days.

can somebody shed me some light on my situation?

i am really frustrated and tired of calling/emailing them.
1 reply
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21125 posts
5803 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Talk to your agent about the situation, especially if the agent referred to you to that lawyer.

You will probably have to talk to another lawyer. If the lawyer charged you for a service and then didn't perform service, it might even be grounds to complain to the LSUC.
- casual gastronomist -