Real Estate

Problem tenant during COVID. how to evict?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2020 8:51 pm
[OP]
Oct 29, 2015
292 posts
124 upvotes

Problem tenant during COVID. how to evict?

Hi everyone,

Am looking for advice on how to deal with this situation

One unit in a 7 unit property outside the GTA

A single male in his 30s
-He got drunk, started calling and leaving texts cursing and berating the condition of the unit. This occurs almost every weekend.
-Unit was in great condition when he first rented it out.
-Owner and Property manager showed up, initially tenant would not let them in. some flooring was torn up, doors were broken, toilet broken, fridge was thrown off the balcony (there are young children in other ground units...), garbage and rotting food everywhere.
-tons of verbal abuse during this time, near assault until a neighbor intervened. This was all captured on film.
-Owner replaced the fridge.

This tenant had always been late on rent. Slipped a few months.
N4 forms were always submitted.
A payment plan was created and agreed upon.
Claimed covid, lost his job and said he couldnt pay. Tenant was following until he stopped paying.
City services sent a cheque for pay for 80% of balance.

Tenant hasn't been paying at all since.

What can be done in this situation? We've offered him a job with a painting company, he did not reply.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
8566 posts
10163 upvotes
Toronto
If someone is throwing large items off a balcony and abusing others the police should be involved.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8688 posts
1394 upvotes
Threw a fridge off the balcony? Jail is rent-free. He can go there.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Oct 29, 2015
292 posts
124 upvotes
bobbings wrote: Threw a fridge off the balcony? Jail is rent-free. He can go there.
mazerbeaner wrote: If someone is throwing large items off a balcony and abusing others the police should be involved.
Yes, we took tons of photos of the fridge when we arrived. The ground floor tenant had actually taken a video as well.
Police was never notified.

Does anyone have any experience with the L2 form? Would the payment plan we agreed upon be applicable for this form?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11710 posts
7978 upvotes
Edmonton
DecayHeat wrote: Yes, we took tons of photos of the fridge when we arrived. The ground floor tenant had actually taken a video as well.

Does anyone have any experience with the L2 form? Would the payment plan we agreed upon be applicable for this form?
I think you should file for eviction based on damaging the property, disturbing others and tossing a fridge off the balcony. You SHOULD have called the cops when it happened. If you try to evict based on non-payment of rent, I think it will be more of an uphill battle; tenants seem to be getting a pass on that.

C
Dec 12, 2011
168 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Damn I feel sorry for you OP. I thought for a second you might have a former tenant of mine until I went back and read he was in his 30s. A guy like that I definitely wouldnt refer for work anyone that I actually care about. Other than using the LTB, the ways to get him out shouldn't be mention on here. Best of luck.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13334 posts
9140 upvotes
And yet the media never airs these stories. OP good luck to you.

Gotta get the goons to handle this one.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
8566 posts
10163 upvotes
Toronto
DecayHeat wrote: Yes, we took tons of photos of the fridge when we arrived. The ground floor tenant had actually taken a video as well.

Then go to the police now, it doesn't need to be reported instantly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2932 upvotes
Thornhill
You should be diligent with your eviction notices and requests for same to the Landlord/Tenant Board for non-payment and being a nuisance to the other tenants, interfering with their quiet enjoyment, as well as complaints to the police to support the nuisance and quiet enjoyment claims.

A failure to not be pro-active with him could see your other tenants suing you.