None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1791 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto

Problem with Tenant how to deal?

Hello guys, So we are having lot of problems with tenants; they are living in a basement apartment; we got them when we bought the house from their relatives.
They have a strong connection in neighborhood.

Its a family of four with two little kids; they are shouting at us and threatening to go to government because the garbage box was smelling in garage which we plan to move to another area soon.

The thing is they always keep crying about everything and want a VIP treatment, and because this is our first house we do not know how to deal with them.

We know we can not evict them but what can we do exactly if they are becoming a problem?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
What exactly are they crying about other than the smell of garbage? What is this expected VIP treatment you speak of?
Sep 20, 2003
617 posts
228 upvotes
Burnaby
dude tell them it's summer and it's only logical to keep your garbage in the garage. i mean i don't know where else u could put it. i tells ya these ppl are spoilt
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2967 posts
1515 upvotes
What do basement tenants have to do with your garage?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3363 posts
2022 upvotes
Mississauga
need more details, and what demands are they making?

Do they have legal access to the garage?
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You can evict them if you plan to use it for your own use, i think for a least a year. Why would you buy a house just to live like a renter anyways?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2015
2860 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IF you're living in the house you can evict them. Just take the basement for your house or put a family member down there.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5889 posts
2135 upvotes
Space
Move the garbage outside. I would be pissed off as well if I had to smell garbage in my rental. Since you say they want VIP treatment, what kind of demands have they made?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1749 posts
1058 upvotes
GTA
Give them their notice. Sounds like they need to find some new accommodations.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
Why can't you evict them? They're not a fixture. They don't have to 'come with the house' by default. I can't believe that you didn't see this coming as a possibility.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26976 posts
11424 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I'm guessing the previous owners knew they were a problem which is why they would sell a house their own relatives are living in. You may wish to do the same in the end. If you share a kitchen or bathroom then they are not covered by the landlord tenant act. You can call the LTB and ask for advice.

You will have to give a lot more details about your problems, but let them go to the government, also do you live upstairs or is that occupied by another tenant?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10775 posts
2853 upvotes
Nowhere
No need for the garbage to smell. Do you throw meat and stuff out? I keep perishables in the refrigerator until garbage day and never have an issue with smelly garbage. If their rent includes use of the garage, then you shouldn't be storing garbage in there. They are right to complain about the smell and you have not given any example of an unreasonable request.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6695 posts
1372 upvotes
indca wrote: Hello guys, So we are having lot of problems with tenants; they are living in a basement apartment; we got them when we bought the house from their relatives.
They have a strong connection in neighborhood.
This isn't the first time I've seen this kind of post here. You should NEVER ever buy a house which comes with tenants renting part of it. As part of the deal insist that the existing owner evict them before you take possession. If they won't then walk away. Anyways, good luck with this situation now. You have nothing but grief ahead.
May 29, 2012
604 posts
247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If these tenants are being a serious annoyance.
Then you need to start documenting every time they bother you, so you can develop a history of them bothering you beyond what a normal person would do.
This has to be serious stuff also, the adjudicator will not support you if they re bothering you normally to do something that is your responsibility. If they are going crazy like calling you at midnight every night to take care of the garbage then you have a point to make.

If there is serious disruption of your life from your tenants you can give them a notice N4 from the landlord tenant board to get them evicted or punished, but it will be an uphill battle.