Shopping Discussion

Problems with my LED set (Future Shop Warenty issues)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2011 11:17 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
347 posts
8 upvotes
Milton

Problems with my LED set (Future Shop Warenty issues)

Alright,

So I have a Sony XBR8 that I love to bits but the sound cuts in and out whenever it feels like. I've checked all my HDMI cables and devices. I've switched them around and even used them on other sets I have in the house... Nothing. The first few times I even changed inputs to see if it was my box or my PS3 but nope. I have to turn off and on the set until it decides to play nice. Sometime that's the following day :cry:

I've been dealing with the repair company since late September. I had called about the problem and they sent out the tech. He said that it's working and I had explained that it works fine for a while. It's when it's not working, is when I can't watch anything unless I don't want sound.

He said he's going to order the parts and get this fixed.

Perfect right? WRONG! The day comes around when he is to come by my place to fix this thing. I help him move it around since it's a pig and he begins to take the back off.

Now the fun part. I notice that there's two main boards that are connected. He has a part for one or the two. I questioned him about it and he said that they should have sent both. But not to worry as if there's further problems, I can call him to come back....Right...

So he "fixes" it and leaves. Fast forward 2 weeks later and my wife tells me that the tv is not working again and "didn't I get this thing fixed?!?"...It didn't work for that evening and the next day (I missed a lot of college football that afternoon :( )

So I call them again and tell them the situation. They send the same tech back, and now he said that it's not a big issue since my TV "works" and that the part will be another 2-3 weeks. He said to call the CS line to get them to "rush the parts".

So I call them AGAIN! The rep was nice and said that he would call me back today with news as to when I can expect to have this problem fixed...

Well, there was no call today...

I'm starting to lose it! Why would he tell me that he would get back to me and then have me expecting a call all day?!? Even if you didn't have any information, you could have called out of courtesy :mad:

When this set works I love it. Right now it's not working like it should and I'm being brushed aside.

Is there anything else I can do other then sit around and twittle my thumbs?

So what's my next plan of action RFD?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10722 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto
Well, I had an issue with warranty on a toshiba laptop a couple years ago and basically if they play tough just give them **** saying that you want all your money back for the warranty if they won't fix it.

Secondly, why would the guy try and fix the tv when he can't replicate the issue. So all the time was wasted not with just servicing a problem he didnt know what caused it, he only serviced half the tv and not the second half meaning if he replaced both boards like he was supposed to.

When you call say that you want it fixed and you want it fixed NOW, not 2 weeks from now, now (within a week) and that you want it done properly or you want all the $ for the extended warranty back.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
Is the warranty through Future Shop or Sony? If the terms of the Warranty are being met then it might be frustrating but they are doing nothing wrong. If the terms are not being met then you can call the head office of whomever the warranty is through and deal with it that way.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
347 posts
8 upvotes
Milton
The warranty is through Futureshop. From what I understand, the conditions have not been met because they didn't fully fix the TV in the first place. The repair guy said it himself, he didn't know why they only gave him one of the two boards he needed. It was not fully repaired and I have no real answers as to when they will be back. I've been playing the waiting game and it's draining.

Is there anyone in corporate I can get in contact with?
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
24 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Secondly, why would the guy try and fix the tv when he can't replicate the issue. So all the time was wasted not with just servicing a problem he didnt know what caused it, he only serviced half the tv and not the second half meaning if he replaced both boards like he was supposed to.

Not all problems are replicatable 100% of the time. You fix a part you think may be the cause and then at least you have a fighting chance of fixing what's broken. If you do nothing, there is no chance of a fix and the client is pissed.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10722 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto
aggronieszka wrote: Not all problems are replicatable 100% of the time. You fix a part you think may be the cause and then at least you have a fighting chance of fixing what's broken. If you do nothing, there is no chance of a fix and the client is pissed.

That is true.

Although it is a different market, when I was doing game console repairs, wether it be the old Xbox, 360, ps3, ds, etc. I would first research what I don't know (unless I already knew what the problem was which was 99% of the time) and I would perform the repair work and get paid, I also made sure 100% that the console worked like it was supposed to afterwords, not once did I say oh, I think this will fix it, did it then heard about it weeks later having the same issue...

OP, just call FS and state the issue and that you want it fixed ASAP and that you won't be taking the run around on waiting times etc since this is the second time
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
347 posts
8 upvotes
Milton
I'm going to give them a few more days to call me. If I don't hear from them by Friday, I'll call them next Monday to see where we are at.

At this point, I'm left with a terrible feeling about this situation.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
347 posts
8 upvotes
Milton
Well I was tired of waiting so I gave CS a shout today while I was at work.

The CS agent I had was GREAT. She listened to what I had to say and called the repair place for me. After she came back, it was decided that the part would take too long and she approved my exchange for a new set!!! :D

I've never done this before so how does this work? Do I have to buy another LED set? Or can I switch to a plasma?
Oct 16, 2008
439 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
EMAGDNIM wrote: Well I was tired of waiting so I gave CS a shout today while I was at work.

The CS agent I had was GREAT. She listened to what I had to say and called the repair place for me. After she came back, it was decided that the part would take too long and she approved my exchange for a new set!!! :D

I've never done this before so how does this work? Do I have to buy another LED set? Or can I switch to a plasma?

From what I remember it gets exchanged at the store for something comparable. Call the store to confirm but i'm almost certain this is done at the store level. They might low ball you during the exchange but make sure you stay firm on what is comparable(compare specs, size, contrast ratio...)
[OP]
Dec 18, 2006
347 posts
8 upvotes
Milton
Well good news! I went this evening and the sales guy was able to process my exchange a few days early! I was even able to go with a plasma instead of a LED, BIGGER and the price matched a bundle from Gibby's.

I ended up going plasma this time around. I bought a 60" ST Series plasma, Avatar, 2 3D glasses a Panasonic 3D BR player...

It's being delivered next week!

Thanks again guys!