Automotive

Problems using Speedpass+

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2023 1:40 pm
May 21, 2016
111 posts
28 upvotes

Problems using Speedpass+

I have been using (trying?) this app for last 3-4 months and having a lot of issues. It sometimes works, and doesn't the other times. Gave email but to no avail. The app suggest me to contact the helpline - which is only available until 4pm. This is outright frustrating and annoying at the same time, the reason I am using it so that I don't have to go in but if I come across issues frequently only after going to the gas station - it negates the whole purpose of the app.

Why the app is so unstable? I tried today a few times, it didn't work. Do you guys face the same issue?
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I did initially. Once I got their CS line to look into the issues, they found that my account was locked (even before the first successful use). I asked them why my account was locked and they didn't know. But once their back-office unlocked the account, everything worked fine.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
foodieInTown wrote: I have been using (trying?) this app for last 3-4 months and having a lot of issues. It sometimes works, and doesn't the other times. Gave email but to no avail. The app suggest me to contact the helpline - which is only available until 4pm. This is outright frustrating and annoying at the same time, the reason I am using it so that I don't have to go in but if I come across issues frequently only after going to the gas station - it negates the whole purpose of the app.

Why the app is so unstable? I tried today a few times, it didn't work. Do you guys face the same issue?
Call the help line. They will help you.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
2350 posts
876 upvotes
Central Ontario
What do you expect anybody here to do for you? I don't understand these threads...
May 21, 2016
111 posts
28 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Call the help line. They will help you.
I did, they are not sure why is this happening. They suggested me to reinstall and change the email address. Didn't work.
May 21, 2016
111 posts
28 upvotes
JustMike wrote: What do you expect anybody here to do for you? I don't understand these threads...
Wanted to see whether anyone else had the same issue and how did they solve it. Sorry if it annoys you.
May 21, 2016
111 posts
28 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I did initially. Once I got their CS line to look into the issues, they found that my account was locked (even before the first successful use). I asked them why my account was locked and they didn't know. But once their back-office unlocked the account, everything worked fine.
Yeah it happened to me too early when I just started using the app. But, it started again and this time, they could not figure out why it happened but told me as I tried for more than 5 times, they locked it. Not going to try more than 4 from now on!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
foodieInTown wrote: I did, they are not sure why is this happening. They suggested me to reinstall and change the email address. Didn't work.
Try again tomorrow and maybe you get a better agent to help. They need to do something on their side to restore your account.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
3024 posts
1538 upvotes
Burnaby
Mine hasn't worked for months, tried calling a handful of times and same thing no one knows. My guess is that they are working on a new app, but that's just a guess given PC Optimum will be taking over Esso Extra. It's odd that they haven't updated the app since June. Mine stops at the authorization of the pump and asks to call the help for assistance.
May 21, 2016
111 posts
28 upvotes
amplified wrote: Mine hasn't worked for months, tried calling a handful of times and same thing no one knows. My guess is that they are working on a new app, but that's just a guess given PC Optimum will be taking over Esso Extra. It's odd that they haven't updated the app since June. Mine stops at the authorization of the pump and asks to call the help for assistance.
My one does that too at the exact moment. And the call centre is only till 4pm!
Apr 23, 2016
174 posts
63 upvotes
Montr
Anyone having luck with that? I bought a bunch of gift card for a promo and now their friggin app never works and I have to go inside scan everything at the checkout... Very annoying
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Esso SpeedPass+ Android app data point:

Whenever I tried to pay for gas, I was getting the error message "Account Issue - please contact our customer service team for help". Happened at all stations, whether I was using the GPS or the QR code method of authorizing the pump.

I eventually did e-mail them through the link in the app. It took about 3 days, but they wrote back saying my account has been 'unblocked'.

I'm not sure why it was blocked to begin with... Confused Face
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
Mine also got locked after 2 uses. Wrote an email, and gave up. Received an email 2 weeks later saying that they dont know why it’s locked. They promised will get back to me shortly, no email after 2 weeks. Tried again and it worked. Garbage app!
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Jan 24, 2018
116 posts
73 upvotes
Hate their app, had so many problems, I switched to shell because of their app
Jul 8, 2022
40 posts
126 upvotes
Disappointed that the Speedpass Keytag program ended last month. No smartphone/data was needed and it could be used at the pump or inside. The new app is cumbersome and far less user-friendly than the keytag.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5072 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
steveisme wrote: Disappointed that the Speedpass Keytag program ended last month. No smartphone/data was needed and it could be used at the pump or inside. The new app is cumbersome and far less user-friendly than the keytag.
You get used to it pretty quick. I like it. One less thing to carry on my keychain and I always have my phone on me anyways. I did prefer the speed pass but I always seemed to run into stations where it doesn't work, vs the app that I haven't had that problem.

It works perfectly for me. Honestly my only issue is that it has a $100 limit, which is annoyingly low given current gas prices.
Jan 26, 2006
233 posts
253 upvotes
GTA
Keytag just worked. App is POS. Solved the problem by no longer buying gas from Esso and deleted the app.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
2380 posts
4561 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Hmm, SpeedPass+ 1.26 (at least for iOS) just came out 09/12. I imagine it likely doesn't fix an issue I recently encountered, so I figured I'd include it here, in case someone else encounters it and finds the info useful.

In short, if you use Esso/Mobil gift cards in the SpeedPass+ app, you might find yourself with a funds hold on a selected GC, rendering it unusable until the next Thursday after a manual review/release. Given they have a review/release process, it sounds like a known issue which they are obviously not compelled/inclined to fix!

A summary of what I did:
  • On 09/07 (Wed), I authorized a pump at a Mobil station using the SpeedPass+ app, and selected one of the gift cards in my app for payment (has $83.00 balance).
  • The pump was successfully authorized for $83.00 and prompted me to lift the nozzle and select a grade, as usual. However, after lifting the nozzle in inserting into my car's filler receptacle, the pump was non-responsive to my pressing the grade button (attempted multiple times) to start the pumping process, so I replaced the nozzle to cancel the transaction.
  • I was not able to re-authorize the pump using the same ($83.00) gift card from the app, so I went to see the attendant. He scanned the gift card, but his terminal showed that the card had a "hold" on the $83.00. As a result I used a different form of payment to complete my fuel-up.
  • On 09/11 (Sun), I tried to authorize a pump at a Mobil station using the SpeedPass+ app, again selecting the GC with $83.00 balance (thinking any hold should be released by now). Again, it gave an error message ("We apologize. We were unable to process your payment. Please select another card and retry. OK"). I selected a different GC from the SpeedPass+ app, and was able to complete the transaction.
  • I e-mailed speedpass.plus.canada@exxonmobil.com about the whole situation, providing the GC #.
  • On 03/13, I received a reply (to my delight/surprise!), stating: "we can confirm your Speedpass+ application was not blocked due to this situation. This being said, the Gift Card does in fact have a hold, temporarily preventing you from using the funds, the hold amount was taken on September 7th 2022, because the pump attempted to authorize $150 for your transaction. These system hold are reviewed and removed on Wednesdays, which means your funds should be available to you again, by end of day September 14th 2022."

Anyway, they obviously know this to be a recurring issue, but somehow it's not big enough to fix...
Dec 26, 2015
9 posts
3 upvotes
Saint John
I've used this app for a few months now after using the Shell app since it first came out. Of course I've attached it to a credit card to get some savings... but I LOATH the fact that the Speedpass+ app started an additional $150 'just in case' charge that takes a few days to fall off of my cc transactions. So ahhh... we have 3 cars in our house. I am not ok with 1 car causing the $150 extra charge. So do you think I'll be filling up the other cars at the same time? Ahhh nope. I love the Optimum Points, the station is handy to my house... but this might make me quit. Who else takes an extra $150 for a few days? A restaurant? Nope. The hardware store? Nope.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2007
1104 posts
1237 upvotes
peregrine70 wrote: I've used this app for a few months now after using the Shell app since it first came out. Of course I've attached it to a credit card to get some savings... but I LOATH the fact that the Speedpass+ app started an additional $150 'just in case' charge that takes a few days to fall off of my cc transactions. So ahhh... we have 3 cars in our house. I am not ok with 1 car causing the $150 extra charge. So do you think I'll be filling up the other cars at the same time? Ahhh nope. I love the Optimum Points, the station is handy to my house... but this might make me quit. Who else takes an extra $150 for a few days? A restaurant? Nope. The hardware store? Nope.
I think all gas stations do this though - there is usually a pre-authorized payment amount. This is essentially held against your credit card for a few days, until the actual charge goes through.