Computers & Electronics

process when switching cable internet service providers?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 6:21 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
314 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto

process when switching cable internet service providers?

I will be remotely helping my mom to migrate from Teksavvy cable to Fido cable. I want to avoid a situation where she is left without internet, so before I cancel Teksavvy, I want to make sure Fido works.

She is still subscribed to Teksavvy and has already gotten her Fido modem with a built in router. An online Fido account recognizing an internet account for the property address exists.

Does she now just have to connect the Fido modem, and if the internet works, I can call and cancel Teksavvy?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4573 posts
4630 upvotes
Vancouver
I think that will work. At any rate, you should be able to test it.

The issue is when you own a modem and you want to re-use the same modem with a different TPIA. In that case the cable company requires the modem to be deactivated for a period of time like a week or two before you can reconnect it as the modem for the new service. That gives them time to re-register the modem hardware address to the new service in their system.

When you are using two different modems, each registered to its own service, there shouldn't be an issue for service to overlap and let you test the new one before cancelling the old one.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3729 posts
3249 upvotes
Markham
Scote64 wrote: I think that will work. At any rate, you should be able to test it.

The issue is when you own a modem and you want to re-use the same modem with a different TPIA. In that case the cable company requires the modem to be deactivated for a period of time like a week or two before you can reconnect it as the modem for the new service. That gives them time to re-register the modem hardware address to the new service in their system.

When you are using two different modems, each registered to its own service, there shouldn't be an issue for service to overlap and let you test the new one before cancelling the old one.
+1

By the way, the Teksavvy modem and the Fido modem will work simultaneoulsy, if they are connected to the same cable outlet at home using a cable T-splitter.