Home & Garden

Professional Glue & Silicone for Shower wall boards(Acrylic)?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2019 9:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
294 posts
152 upvotes
Ontario

Professional Glue & Silicone for Shower wall boards(Acrylic)?

HI,

I have installed plastic boards-I think it's acrylic-in the shower room long time ago. The boards are installed on the 3 walls from edge to edge and the center wall is joined with 2 boards. As you can see it in the third photo, the joint area at the bottom is open and I think that may cause the water leaking down below.

It would be good to call the people who installed the boards but it's been several years, I can't even remember the name of the company. So, I need to glue it by myself and I need to know what kind of glue I must use?

Also last two photos show the corners of the boards and it doesn't look like regular caulking? Could anyone let me know what kind of caulking they used? It looks very thin, tight and strong.

So, my plan is first, use this professional glue to secure the gap and then use a special caulking over the whole the joint area. I hope this holds well.
Please let me know. Thanks.

-Longer story,
Recently, we've been informed that there's a water leakage from the sealing in the unit below. We stopped using the shower for 2 weeks. The plumbers came and ran the water on the floor and the drain for a while to test but there was no water leaking surprisingly. I was there at the below unit and looking up the drain pipe but there was no water dripping down from the pipe. They said it maybe a floor problem rather than a problem relating to a drain pipe. While I was searching for the options from replacing a whole tiled floor to placing a shower base, I noticed that there's open gap in the joint area of the shower wall boards in the center. This may be the main cause of leaking water and I would like to fix it by myself.

20191004_232434.jpg
20191004_231520.jpg
20191004_231739.jpg
20191004_231603.jpg
20191004_231612.jpg
Images
  • 20191004_231536.jpg
3 replies
Jun 16, 2015
163 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I just installed this type of tub surround, use PL700 to glue it to wall if you can get behind it and then use Seal and bond on the outer edges to seal it up so water wont go behind it and any other joints you see has no sealant. Here's a pic of mine and the stuff I used.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
[OP]
Jan 31, 2016
294 posts
152 upvotes
Ontario
Fibretech101 wrote: I just installed this type of tub surround, use PL700 to glue it to wall if you can get behind it and then use Seal and bond on the outer edges to seal it up so water wont go behind it and any other joints you see has no sealant. Here's a pic of mine and the stuff I used.
Thank you so much for your help and especially the photos. I'm actually helping an old retiree neighbor who has a bathroom problem above. He's gonna buy those glue and sealant for me to fix his bathroom and your photos truly make him easier to buy those. Thanks again.
Jun 16, 2015
163 posts
82 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
ludwig3 wrote: Thank you so much for your help and especially the photos. I'm actually helping an old retiree neighbor who has a bathroom problem above. He's gonna buy those glue and sealant for me to fix his bathroom and your photos truly make him easier to buy those. Thanks again.
No problem, glad it helps.