• Apr 11th, 2019 5:10 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2005
896 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto

Professional Resume Writing Suggestions

Hey RFD

I've been working with a large corporation within the IT realm since 2004.

Making my way throughout different positions during my tenure, I've now decided to move on.

My resume itself hasn't gotten a good overhaul in some time.

Im looking for a resume writer who can work with me to help break down my work experience onto my resume.

Have any of you sought such services and can suggest a good source who can help with this?

Would love to hear your suggestions.

Cheers
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1815 posts
1003 upvotes
Durham
I don't have a recommendation as mine was revamped from an in law in the HR field.

I can let you know some tips I got and hopefully that can help you in your search for someone who knows what they are doing:

- Ensure the writer is able to cater to ATS which is a resume tracking many companies use to pre-screen resumes
- Keep it simple! A long winded resume will get thrown to the side despite qualifications. Hiring managers want to see if you can peak their interest in a few seconds. So if you get a draft and it is extremely long with a lot of repeat, I would say do not proceed with their services. If you can keep it within 2 pages + cover letter, you are golden

Those are the key areas. I would definitely recommend finding a good writer, but again research. Sadly I went with one and my resume was so long winded, it hampered my job search for awhile. Once it was revamped, I got the hits.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5685 posts
2259 upvotes
Debtario
Kkhan15 wrote: - Ensure the writer is able to cater to ATS which is a resume tracking many companies use to pre-screen resumes
This is key, try to use the employer's qualifications word for word in your resume to help the system flag your application as a high match. I was told this is essential for federal jobs, but seems to work well in general as more companies rely on automation.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
May 2, 2013
280 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
I would advice you to write your own resume. Trust me, no one can do better job then you.
If you still insist to use writing service, use Fiverr.com
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
I've worked with a career counselor that I'd recommend.

Writing your own resume is important but a pro will help with expressing ideas and really tailoring things to suit your needs and strengths. If nothing more they'll catch typos and unclear phrases.
Sep 28, 2013
689 posts
410 upvotes
ptlr036615 wrote: I would advice you to write your own resume. Trust me, no one can do better job then you.
I'm not sure that's true - it may be for people with polished writing/formatting skills but many resumes I've seen are fairly atrocious in this regard.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1815 posts
1003 upvotes
Durham
ptlr036615 wrote: I would advice you to write your own resume. Trust me, no one can do better job then you.
I wouldn't. Things changes all the time. He hasn't applied anywhere since 2004. Since then, ATS has become a lot bigger and resumes have actually become a lot simpler. People are trying to find ways to fit key ATS words from years of experience into a couple pages. It's not that easy. One can get carried away and end up with 3 pages +. Once you start getting into 3 pages, your resumes just goes to the recycle bin.
Aug 31, 2014
324 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Perhaps also reach out to the people that you've worked with all these years, who have became hiring managers. Just skip the machine all together