• Sep 19th, 2019 3:11 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11841 posts
5921 upvotes
Southern Ontario

Profoto C1 and C1 Plus - New Smartphone Flash

Costs WAY too much, from Profoto of course, iOS only atm, iPhone 7 and up. Don't need something that expensive for personal mobile photography. I'd like to see cheaper alternatives born, great idea, I've always wondered when something like this would come out (an off smartphone sync'd flash). Been using portable LED lights once in a while so far with my phone.

Output seems a bit harsh in the resulting images:

4 replies
Nov 12, 2012
618 posts
277 upvotes
Calgary
Interesting product, give it a couple of weeks for the Chinese knockoffs to show up for a fraction of the price.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4116 posts
1478 upvotes
Calgary
Honestly looks barely better than the normal flash on a phone and the results are pretty expected for a smartphone...it's a gimmick. An interesting gimmick but defeats the purpose of why people use smartphones for photos. People aren't to go around to get photos via smartphone while holding a light for a selfie when they would get better results with a mirrorless even with an attached flash on top.

Profoto's market are pro photographers who love to enphasise the 'pro' portion by getting the most 'pro' gear out there. Smartphone photo users are not the right demographic and market.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1148 posts
422 upvotes
It reminds me of the Godox A1 that came out a couple years ago (2017 I think). Not round like this, but designed for smartphone. It has horrible reviews because of the app and it's lack of support on Android. That is the biggest problem I have with flashes for smartphone. You're limited to their app and the moment they stop supporting it (like the A1), it becomes useless.