Project: Fridge - Freon Gas Leak: Patching Coil & Topping up
Story: I have a Maytag MSD2652KES - french doors, counter-depth. I bought it used and this is a second fridge kept in the basement. Freezer side running warmer than expected. I opened the rear plate and noticed ice blocks on the evaporator coil area. Well the stupid (or normal) me decided to use screwdriver to remove the ice blocks and yes i punctured a hole in the coil. The R134a gas fizzled out.
I reached out to many companies and sent them the picture. Many said they cannot do it, a few said they will charge a diagnostic fee to come have a look but would not tell me if they can fix an evaporator coil. Only 1 company said, they can fix it for $1100.
Now the project:
- Patch the hole in coil with Epoxy Bond
- Add an access port to the process line on the compressor for vaccum and top-up
- Replace the filter drier
Thanks to @1chinaman for confirming this is a standard part
- Vaccum the line
- Top-up the R134a gas
- Fingers-crossed and/or pray to the gods.
Rental for vacuum pump and manifold for 24h: $40
- Epoxy: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AZJ ... UTF8&psc=1 and or alumnum brazing rod: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8471088e
- Acetone for cleaning aluminum for soldering: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/solvab ... 1000130924
- Access valve (depends on the size): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07MM9 ... UTF8&psc=1 or https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E1N ... UTF8&psc=1
- Torch and Brazing rod
Rod: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GA ... UTF8&psc=1
Torch: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bernzo ... 1000786755
- R134a with leak sealant: https://www.amazon.ca/emzone-Multi-134a ... 84&sr=8-12
- Filter Drier: https://www.reliableparts.ca/product/inv_10558631
- Sand grit for copper pipes: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0161B ... UTF8&psc=1
- Still pondering whether there is a better option. Maybe just get the manifold and rent the pump. Open to ideas from anybody
- https://www.amazon.ca/VIVOHOME-Manifold ... 3F8A7FBDB3