• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 10:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes

Proof of payment for cash deal stone paving job

Lot of stone paving jobs are cash deals. I wonder if there is a need/any point of asking them to sign off for receiving the cash. If there is no invoice and the signature is not on any sort of company's document, it isn't any proof of payment anyway.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks for any advice.
18 replies
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
Nobody is going to sign off on a cash deal. It’s a gentleman’s agreement.

My only suggestion when paying cash is to wait until the job is 100% done before paying anything. The last thing you want is to be stuck with nothing.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10089 posts
9922 upvotes
Markham
They don't write much on the invoice, but there was mention that "deposit" or "sums" have been paid. I wouldnt just blindly give some guy 10k.

Having said this, don't expect any repair or warranty work.
May 15, 2020
121 posts
73 upvotes
Thornhill ON
I do not hire anyone not giving me an invoice. No invoice means they want to evade taxes. I would not care for their taxes but i need invoices for my taxes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
raptormaniac wrote: Nobody is going to sign off on a cash deal. It’s a gentleman’s agreement.

My only suggestion when paying cash is to wait until the job is 100% done before paying anything. The last thing you want is to be stuck with nothing.
For a day job, maybe we can try asking to pay when the job is done. However, for a multi days/weeks job, nobody will start unless certain % of deposit is paid upfront. They actually have already started working but expect 50% deposit by tomorrow, the balance when the job is done in the next couple of days. I asked this question as I wonder if contractor can say I never pay them. But I guess since it is a cash deal (verbal without any written document), they have no proof I haven't paid them either..... Maybe I am just thinking too much. Actually, I have dealt with this contractor years ago but for a smaller job.
Last edited by rdx on May 17th, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8428 posts
3007 upvotes
Maple
Good idea! Best to ask them sign on invoice of each instalment. Cash deal but invoice should be produced.

I paid cash for my interlock job over $10K, the owner was ok with mine lump sum at the end. I still asked him to sign on the invoce when he received the cash.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: They don't write much on the invoice, but there was mention that "deposit" or "sums" have been paid. I wouldn't just blindly give some guy 10k.

Having said this, don't expect any repair or warranty work.
Honestly, I don't trust the warranty term even there is any, we will have a hard time finding the contractor to come back even if there is anything happens..... Maybe for those who are charging $20+/sq ft Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Last edited by rdx on May 17th, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Good idea! Best to ask them sign on invoice of each instalment. Cash deal but invoice should be produced.

I paid cash for my interlock job over $10K, the owner was ok with mine lump sum at the end. I still asked him to sign on the invoce when he received the cash.
If they offer so much detail invoice and go through official billing process, it wouldn't be a low price cash deal and HST will be added ;)

The whole idea they ask for cash deal is to avoid taxes without any trace.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8428 posts
3007 upvotes
Maple
rdx wrote: If they offer so much detail invoice and go through official billing process, it wouldn't be a low price cash deal and HST will be added ;)
Should be names of bricks, stones and the colours.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
Momentix wrote: I do not hire anyone not giving me an invoice. No invoice means they want to evade taxes. I would not care for their taxes but i need invoices for my taxes.
Everyone has different need. For your case, maybe you can claim the expenses with the proper invoices. Then, of course you need to go through official billing process but should also expect to pay a higher price.

Also, it depends on the nature of the jobs. I guess it is pretty common for stone paving jobs to be on cash deal.

On the other hand, I just had a major reno at home, and I went through officially billing with the contractor's company, paid full HST (almost $10K) for the whole job.
Mar 24, 2009
137 posts
131 upvotes
KW
rdx wrote: For a day job, maybe we can try asking to pay when the job is done. However, for a multi days/weeks job, nobody will start unless certain % of deposit is paid upfront. They actually have already started working but expect 50% deposit by tomorrow, the balance when the job is done in the next couple of days. I asked this question as I wonder if contractor can say I never pay them. But I guess since it is a cash deal (verbal without any written document), they have no proof I haven't paid them either..... Maybe I am just thinking too much. Actually, I have dealt with this contractor years ago but for a smaller job.
I don’t know what you agreed to.

It’s a trust thing. I (as a contractor) am weary of every homeowner. If they communicate well, then I let my instincts take over. I never ask for 100 percent until the job is completely done.

If they have brought in the materials and started to work for a couple/few days. Sure. 50% is reasonable. But never pay in full until the job is 100 percent done.

As far as warranty work. Yes. Legit contractors have no problem returning to fix faulty items.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
Agree with what you say. They have already started working, actually they can start laying stones tomorrow. In facts, they have delivered some stones on site, and will pick up the rest tomorrow. Thus, 50% deposit is reasonable.

But I also agree that never pay in full before the job is done.

Unfortunately, I have experienced a contractor for a reno job asking for last installment before the job is completely done and I knew they will not finish that last piece (as they kept telling me the challenge they had regarding that last piece). At the end, they never came back and didn't finish that last part, and I didn't pay the last 10%.
raptormaniac wrote: I don’t know what you agreed to.

It’s a trust thing. I (as a contractor) am weary of every homeowner. If they communicate well, then I let my instincts take over. I never ask for 100 percent until the job is completely done.

If they have brought in the materials and started to work for a couple/few days. Sure. 50% is reasonable. But never pay in full until the job is 100 percent done.

As far as warranty work. Yes. Legit contractors have no problem returning to fix faulty items.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9124 posts
796 upvotes
Just a side note. I hired a RFDer here many years ago for the stone job on the porch. He was high rated by RFDERs, and the price was very reasonable. Most importantly, he did a very good job that up till to today my wife still comments how good the job he did as compared to our neighbors' ones that most of them have the stone slabs felt off from the porch after several years. Anyway, but I don't what happened to him, he didn't reply my message for something he told me he would come back to fix. And I heard from other RFDers that they could not even find him after deposit was paid or something....
May 12, 2021
85 posts
46 upvotes
Ask the contractor to send you text message confirm receipt of deposit for $xxx, balance of $xxx. And so on.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1539 posts
655 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Momentix wrote: I do not hire anyone not giving me an invoice. No invoice means they want to evade taxes. I would not care for their taxes but i need invoices for my taxes.
This is one of the reasons why I never did a badly-needed bathroom gut. Nobody will issue proper invoices, they all want under the table cash.

You haven't got a leg to stand on if something goes wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7019 posts
3250 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
2000teamti wrote: Ask the contractor to send you text message confirm receipt of deposit for $xxx, balance of $xxx. And so on.
I would suggest just to text to contractor that $X dollars paid today and so $Y dollars left to pay... just do same math each time pay.

Could even have brief description of work.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
May 12, 2021
85 posts
46 upvotes
Naw, that won’t stand up if things go sideways. You need the contractor to send you the confirmation of deposit/payment.
georvu wrote: I would suggest just to text to contractor that $X dollars paid today and so $Y dollars left to pay... just do same math each time pay.

Could even have brief description of work.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10626 posts
5916 upvotes
Paris
rdx wrote: For a day job, maybe we can try asking to pay when the job is done. However, for a multi days/weeks job, nobody will start unless certain % of deposit is paid upfront. They actually have already started working but expect 50% deposit by tomorrow, the balance when the job is done in the next couple of days. I asked this question as I wonder if contractor can say I never pay them. But I guess since it is a cash deal (verbal without any written document), they have no proof I haven't paid them either..... Maybe I am just thinking too much. Actually, I have dealt with this contractor years ago but for a smaller job.
So you have a multi-week, handshake agreement with nothing written down for thousands of dollars? I feel like I have heard this story many times on here.

No contract = not a contractor. Its in the name of the profession.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14272 posts
9041 upvotes
Markham
You can still get a receipt for the cash you give him.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!