• Aug 2nd, 2020 10:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west

Propane to NG conversion

With a recent move, we have a NG line on the deck we have our BBQ on. Ive akways used propane because, well, Ive never had a NG line.

Just recently ran out of propane, and the tank is expired.

Thinking if I have to buy a new tank anway, spend the money on converting it instead

Saw this at Canadian Tire

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/conv ... 2261p.html

There has to be more than just hooking this up to the BBQ. What am I missing, it cant be this simple can it?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2266 posts
1617 upvotes
SW Ontario
Short answer is NO, there is more to it.

Longer answer is Google your BBQ brand and "Convert from Propane to Natural Gas" ... it then should tell you what all needs to be done and changed, orfice size being one.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
Jojo_Madman wrote: Short answer is NO, there is more to it.

Longer answer is Google your BBQ brand and "Convert from Propane to Natural Gas" ... it then should tell you what all needs to be done and changed, orfice size being one.
Ya I didnt think it would be that simple.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Since you are going from propane to NG you need larger orifices. These can be tough to find. Seriously it is not a big job to drill the orifice yourself. Just need the right size bit. I have done this a couple of times.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
Cough wrote: Since you are going from propane to NG you need larger orifices. These can be tough to find. Seriously it is not a big job to drill the orifice yourself. Just need the right size bit. I have done this a couple of times.
if anyone will screw things up, its me. And this sort of thing with natural gas and flames, Im not even attempting to drill holes.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1313 posts
905 upvotes
Etobicoke
Buy a new NG BBQ, you won't regret it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
xxxray wrote: Buy a new NG BBQ, you won't regret it.
I was thinking that, but current one is only a couple years old. Looking more looks like I need to buy the kit, and then replace all the burner orifices as well. REally looks like you replace everything that deals with the gas, which is 75% of the BBQ. If that really is the case, Ill just get another new propane tank and use this BBQ up until it dies.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9632 posts
5032 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: I was thinking that, but current one is only a couple years old. Looking more looks like I need to buy the kit, and then replace all the burner orifices as well. REally looks like you replace everything that deals with the gas, which is 75% of the BBQ. If that really is the case, Ill just get another new propane tank and use this BBQ up until it dies.
Weber used to sell the kits but I assume someone screwed up somewhere so they no longer do. My guess is that went somewhat industry wide. I have seen third party conversion kits for Weber bbqs though. As mentioned above you need the right orifice and a BBQ with removable orificies.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Send me your orifices. I will drill them and send them back.

You don't need to replace burners. Just the fitting hose and the orifices which are screw in on most decent brands like Weber. A half hour job to remove even for a gibble.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
Cough wrote: Send me your orifices. I will drill them and send them back.

You don't need to replace burners. Just the fitting hose and the orifices which are screw in on most decent brands like Weber. A half hour job to remove even for a gibble.
And the guarantee I get from doing that and not blowing myself up or a family member, or start them on fire
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
WikkiWikki wrote: And the guarantee I get from doing that and not blowing myself up or a family member, or start them on fire
Wow are you serious?. Do some google or youtube searches. It is so simple once you know the size. One guy drills the orifices by hand! On a scale of 1 to 10 skill level, this is a 1.

btw you seemed quite Ok with installing the CT hose yourself. More likelihood of a leak and fire there than anything you could get from an orifice install
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
Cough wrote: Wow are you serious?. Do some google or youtube searches. It is so simple once you know the size. One guy drills the orifices by hand! On a scale of 1 to 10 skill level, this is a 1.
And if you drill to big, its ruined. Or do it wrong and worse, someone dies?

There are a few things in life I wont try to do. Changing my own brakes is one, and now, this is another.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1244 posts
1295 upvotes
West GTA
A conversion kit is often available, and it's very easy to convert. Come home after work and you're grilling by dinnertime. You just switch out the burners and hook up the hose. Natural gas has less thermal energy per unit than propane, so you need bigger holes or the BBQ is too weak.

If there's no kit available and your current BBQ is still in great shape, then use propane for the next year or two then when it starts to look a bit aged buy a new NG bbq. NG is better, since you have no fuel concerns and it's cheaper if you use it a fair bit.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4936 posts
531 upvotes
Victoria
You could try advertising a swap of your propane orifice for a NG orifice. Word it like hey do you have a NG version of BBQ xyz and want to convert it to propane? Or if it's weber for example just look for the parts online, buy them and put them in!
Not a political sig
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
dealguy2 wrote: You could try advertising a swap of your propane orifice for a NG orifice. Word it like hey do you have a NG version of BBQ xyz and want to convert it to propane? Or if it's weber for example just look for the parts online, buy them and put them in!
To be honest, not worth my time. I emailed the company last week and no response.

I think Ill just buy a new propane tank and use this BBQ until it dies. Was a super Store Broil King or Broil Mate. I dont expect it to last 20 years. Even covered and cleaned some things are already starting to go. Ignitor is gone now, and notice some rusting on some parts inside the BBQ. Ive gotten 4 summers so far and it was a fall clearance of under $300 Then I think Ill juast buy a NG one at that time
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5656 posts
2494 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I've gone the other way. Involved jet change (brass screw in/out like an old carb) and adding a valve and gas tank attachment that required some gas tape.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
thriftshopper wrote: I've gone the other way. Involved jet change (brass screw in/out like an old carb) and adding a valve and gas tank attachment that required some gas tape.
Cant seem to find the jets for my BBQ
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5656 posts
2494 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
WikkiWikki wrote: Cant seem to find the jets for my BBQ
Conversion available for many grills. I want to convert a NG Napoleon grill but no conversion ever existed for it.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18800 posts
2422 upvotes
Out west
thriftshopper wrote: Conversion available for many grills. I want to convert a NG Napoleon grill but no conversion ever existed for it.
So what did you do? Im sure there are a lot of conversion kits for grills, but I said I cant seem to find any for mine, and the company never contacted me back
Last edited by WikkiWikki on May 15th, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.