Propane tank refill vs exchange

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2022 5:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5753 upvotes

Propane tank refill vs exchange

I need to get the tank for my grill exchanged or refilled. Usually I just go to a gas station and swap it out but now I'm a Costco member and they are probably cheaper. Will any 20 pound tank be able to be refilled at Costco or is there something I'd have to look for on the tank to see if it's compatible.

I have one of these tanks

Anywhere I can go where I don't have to interact with another person would be best
49 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Squirrel99 wrote: I need to get the tank for my grill exchanged or refilled. Usually I just go to a gas station and swap it out but now I'm a Costco member and they are probably cheaper. Will any 20 pound tank be able to be refilled at Costco or is there something I'd have to look for on the tank to see if it's compatible.

I have one of these tanks

Anywhere I can go where I don't have to interact with another person would be best
they will refill any tank, just make sure it has not expired
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
Just got one filled a few days ago at Costco, I think it was 10.99 plus tax. 20L tank. Must be less than 10 yr old tank says the sign there.

I also did an exchange at HD about 2 months ago, I think it was 22 bucks plus tax or so...almost double price for exchange vs refill. I did exchange because it was an older tank I had and now have a newer one. (I have 2 tanks and keep the spare full so I don't run into a pickle having a tank run dry in the middle of cooking!)
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
The best thing is to find someone who will fill by litre. Many swappers don’t fill beyond 16 lbs saying they can only fill to 80% capacity. A 20 lb tank is rated for 24 pounds and this can be filled to 20 pounds. You can feel the weight different of a properly filled tank vs a 16 pounder.

Costco will often only fill to 16 pounds too but by litre so it’s annoying but not the end of the world.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8257 posts
5753 upvotes
I'd love to buy a 2nd tank but wouldn't know where to store it, can't store it in the house or garage

Used the grill for the first time this season and the gas lasted 20 minutes, at least my food cooked enough to eat
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4682 posts
3973 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Squirrel99 wrote: I'd love to buy a 2nd tank but wouldn't know where to store it, can't store it in the house or garage

Used the grill for the first time this season and the gas lasted 20 minutes, at least my food cooked enough to eat
Just keep it outside. Unless you are spraying it with salt water, it's not going to get messed up.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2696 posts
592 upvotes
North York
jackrabbit000 wrote: I have 2 tanks and keep the spare one in a plastic garbage bag beside my house. It's on the shaded side of the house. Never had a problem. My Costco only charges for the amount of propane required to fill the tank and not a flat rate charge.
Why in a garbage bag? Won't it rust more if water ever gets in there?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
We have 2 and just rotate them and yes keeping them outside is perfectly fine.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1276 upvotes
Consensus is leave them outside covered up in a garbage bag, or on it's own?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I leave it uncovered. No rust so far and it's a 3 year old tank
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
One more vote for outside. Under deck works great for me. I only use propane for my deck heater though. BBQ and deck fire ring are NG.
Apr 17, 2016
358 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I leave my spare tank in the shed, and bring it beside the BBQ when my main tank is low, for quick swap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8429 posts
4672 upvotes
Durham
Extra tanks should not be stored inside the house. Fire hazard.

Keeping it on the side of your house or about 5' from your existing BBQ is fine.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
I have two expired tanks, do you just recycle them? I hear of people waiting till they expire and then doing the exhange program but that seems a little sketchy isn't it?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: I have two expired tanks, do you just recycle them? I hear of people waiting till they expire and then doing the exhange program but that seems a little sketchy isn't it?
Exchange them at one of those automated tank exchange machines, found usually at Walmart, spits out new filled tank

http://www.pro2go.ca/locations/
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
Eldorado wrote: Exchange them at one of those automated tank exchange machines, found usually at Walmart, spits out new filled tank

http://www.pro2go.ca/locations/
Has anyone used them before? Can't find pricing on their website, how much is it to exchange?
Feb 8, 2017
495 posts
395 upvotes
Propane tank refill (Costco) = smart / exchange at gas stations = baller status
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3884 posts
1078 upvotes
Hamilton
Kiraly wrote: There are more places that do propane refills other than Costco, and are much cheaper than exchanging a whole tank. Like: https://propanedepot.ca/

The question really is this: is a brand new costco tank + refill > exchanging an expired tank at a kiosk

(Subsequent refills for the life of the exchanged ranked would be from costco). The variable is how much life do exchanged thanks have before having to do it again.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2732 posts
1031 upvotes
adblink182 wrote: Has anyone used them before? Can't find pricing on their website, how much is it to exchange?
Yep, did one a couple months ago, pretty sure it was around $30, my tank was well past expired, new one I'll have to double check on its date but it was basically brand new

Cheaper than buying brand new, and a lot of places won't exchange an expired tank, these machines don't check

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)