Home & Garden

Protection plan on the furnace-- big mistake

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 2:23 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 18, 2018
1 posts
6 upvotes

Protection plan on the furnace-- big mistake

I have a furnace protection plan with Reliance. One day on Feburary 2018, the furnace stopped working. Called Reliance, one technician came and checked. He said that the gas valve need to be replaced. Before he left, the furnace started working again after he reconnect the wires a few times.

On the next day, the replacement part arrived, and the second technician came. He didn't have any interest to replace the gas valve. Instead, he spent 1.5 hours trying to find some reason to shutdown the furnace permanently. After he use a camera with long tube searching everywhere in the furnace's heat exchanger, he said that he found a rust on the exchanger. The location is deep inside the heater exchanger which you can't verify by yourself. Anything you can see from your own eyes in the heat exchanger is in a good condition . The Reliance technician didn't use any CO detector to prove that the furnace leak CO gas.
Then this technician shutdown the furnace and even disconnected the internal wires in the furnace. The whole purpose of his work was to make sure that the furnace is shutdown permanently in a cold (-15 degree) winter day . (even though the furnace was partially work before he came).
After that, it is the old story that someone from Reliance tried to sell the overpriced rental or replaced furnace.

Finally, I called other company to replace the furnace. The installer (gas licensed ) told me that he don't see anything wrong on the heat exchanger.

So the money I paid to protect my furnace is actually to give some some one has a chance to enter my home and shutdown my furnace unexpectedly
59 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16577 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
Yes, it is well known on RFD that Reliance/Enercare/etc are essentially scams and not worth anything. Unfortunately there are a lot of naive consumers who don't do any research before signing contracts.
Sorry you had to learn your expensive lesson. Glad you figured it out and went with someone else.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1292 posts
1296 upvotes
I don't understand this story. You had a protection plan with reliance. Why did it no get fixed in the end? If you replaced it and not fixed it whats the point of buying the protection plan?
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2006
585 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
HghSsociety wrote: I don't understand this story. You had a protection plan with reliance. Why did it no get fixed in the end? If you replaced it and not fixed it whats the point of buying the protection plan?
because reliance is scum.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
856 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I first learned about people renting water heaters here on rfd, but furnaces too? Keep those scammers away from us.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33810 posts
7452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
poleman wrote: I first learned about people renting water heaters here on rfd, but furnaces too? Keep those scammers away from us.
The furnace wasn't a rental. It was a extended warranty. The maintenance company wanted to create problems so the home owner would buy a new furnace.

I'm sure a furnace is not an important fixture in BC, but in Ontario, the last thing anyone wants is a non functioning furnace when it is -40 degrees.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1222 upvotes
Ottawa
A protection plan for a furnace by a reputable company is worth it. Our plan includes a maintenance checkup each year (furnace is now 4 years old).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12291 posts
6855 upvotes
Brampton
That's why I would never let reliance or Enbridge into my home Ever. Their duty ends at the meter.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14901 posts
9291 upvotes
Toronto
OttawaGardener wrote: A protection plan for a furnace by a reputable company is worth it. Our plan includes a maintenance checkup each year (furnace is now 4 years old).
I disagree. Even with the PP, you are paying a monthly sum for service that you hardly use and if something was to go wrong, would it be covered? A moving part can break down any time, no annual maintenance is going to help.

You can pay $100 per application each year for an inspection/cleaning (yearly checkup as you say) as supposed to the much more you are spending with your plan. Keep changing your filters prior to the filter getting ridiculously filthy and you shouldn't have any issues; IE, your furnace doesn't turn into a dust bin which causes premature breakdown. And in your case, on a 4 year old furnace, you are just burning away your money.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1910 posts
932 upvotes
I recently had my furnace repaired by Reliance. I paid out of pocket for the repair, as I didn't have a plan with them. The technicians seemed to be competent enough, both the first one who came and found the problem, and the second one who installed the replacement motor. They're not cheap, but seemed to know what they're doing.

Unfortunately, they do seem to be under a lot of pressure to sell more things. The first guy tried to convince me to replace my 11 year old Enercare rental tank, even though I would probably have to pay $700+ to buy out the tank then junk it, just to go with Reliance. His argument was that since the tank is more than 10 years old, my insurance won't pay for flood damage if it bursts. It was all true, but I turned it down, even though he offered a discount for putting both furnace and HWT under the same company. The second guy, the guy actually installing the motor, spent an hour after he was done, checking the heat exchanger of my furnace. He did not find any leaks, and left without shutting my furnace down. He did mention that the particular model of my furnace, with model years one year older, had a lot of heat exchanger cracks.

I'm now on a plan with Reliance. Not sure what they would do when the other motor fails. I do have brochures of furnace companies in my kitchen drawer, ready to call when a Reliance technician shuts down my furnace.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14901 posts
9291 upvotes
Toronto
BlueSolstice wrote:
I'm now on a plan with Reliance. Not sure what they would do when the other motor fails. I do have brochures of furnace companies in my kitchen drawer, ready to call when a Reliance technician shuts down my furnace.
Read your plan carefully. Look at this one as a prime example: Even with a protection plan, only 15% all repairs for as little as $11.99/month. Get the $25.99/month, no charge repair to equipment up to 14 years old, 15 years or older, max repairs of $1000.

Image

You think they would take a loss? Obviously the chances of a 14 year old furnace or newer giving out is slim, unless you don't keep dust out of it. You guys are just insane for buying these plans IMO.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16577 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
BlueSolstice wrote: I recently had my furnace repaired by Reliance. I paid out of pocket for the repair, as I didn't have a plan with them. The technicians seemed to be competent enough, both the first one who came and found the problem, and the second one who installed the replacement motor. They're not cheap, but seemed to know what they're doing.

Unfortunately, they do seem to be under a lot of pressure to sell more things. The first guy tried to convince me to replace my 11 year old Enercare rental tank, even though I would probably have to pay $700+ to buy out the tank then junk it, just to go with Reliance. His argument was that since the tank is more than 10 years old, my insurance won't pay for flood damage if it bursts. It was all true, but I turned it down, even though he offered a discount for putting both furnace and HWT under the same company. The second guy, the guy actually installing the motor, spent an hour after he was done, checking the heat exchanger of my furnace. He did not find any leaks, and left without shutting my furnace down. He did mention that the particular model of my furnace, with model years one year older, had a lot of heat exchanger cracks.

I'm now on a plan with Reliance. Not sure what they would do when the other motor fails. I do have brochures of furnace companies in my kitchen drawer, ready to call when a Reliance technician shuts down my furnace.
After all of that pushy salesmanship you still went onto a plan with them??? wtf? He spent an hour trying to find a minor problem to shut down your fireplace. Repairmen should not be trying to upsell you.
When the motor fails, they will do like they did to the OP and tell you that you need to buy a new furnace from them. So much for the plan!

You sure that insurance won't pay for water damages? My policy has no such stipulations. There is no "discount" with Enercare/Reliance. There is just being ripped off slightly less.

For $700 you could have a whole new tank installed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16577 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote: You think they would take a loss? Obviously the chances of a 14 year old furnace or newer giving out is slim, unless you don't keep dust out of it. You guys are just insane for buying these plans IMO.
I know eh? $144/yr for a 15% discount? lmfao
$312/yr on a plan you'll hardly every use? In 10 years that's a whole new furnace.
Also nice of them to give a 10% discount to seniors who are too senile to know what huge mistake they're making getting into these plans. These scumbags should be fed to the polar bears.

Do these people also buy maintenance plans for their stove? Fridge? Vacuum? Garage door opener? Out of warranty car? Roof? Plumbing?

Koffee, you and I should get into the maintenance plan business. We can take people's money for all of the items in their home, then when they fail just sell them a new one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
654 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
engineered wrote: You sure that insurance won't pay for water damages? My policy has no such stipulations.
Some insurance companies are resorting to that, if the water heater is more than 10 years old.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16577 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
Bianco13 wrote: Some insurance companies are resorting to that, if the water heater is more than 10 years old.
Time to find a better company then.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 23, 2015
1162 posts
654 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
engineered wrote: Do these people also buy maintenance plans for their stove? Fridge? Vacuum? Garage door opener? Out of warranty car? Roof? Plumbing?
Surprising some do... A co-worker of mine has an Enercare protection plan that covers the furnace, a/c, water heater, plumbing and electrical plus the appliances. For a $120/month! I was floored when she told me this. I tried to explain and break it down for her how much of a waste of money these plans are. But it made no difference.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16577 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
Bianco13 wrote: Surprising some do... A co-worker of mine has an Enercare protection plan that covers the furnace, a/c, water heater, plumbing and electrical plus the appliances. For a $120/month! I was floored when she told me this. I tried to explain and break it down for her how much of a waste of money these plans are. But it made no difference.
Wow, a fool and their money are easily parted.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4689 posts
3528 upvotes
engineered wrote: After all of that pushy salesmanship you still went onto a plan with them??? wtf? He spent an hour trying to find a minor problem to shut down your fireplace. Repairmen should not be trying to upsell you.
When the motor fails, they will do like they did to the OP and tell you that you need to buy a new furnace from them. So much for the plan!

You sure that insurance won't pay for water damages? My policy has no such stipulations. There is no "discount" with Enercare/Reliance. There is just being ripped off slightly less.

For $700 you could have a whole new tank installed.
One thing I learned really early on that most extended warranty plans whether furnace or laptops are garbage - the harder they try to sell it, the more useless it is. There's a reason why they're so insistent and forceful...commission.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2007
1442 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
I have an enercare Plan.. Let me say it was the WORST decision, better just to have a handy Hvac Guy on call.. IF Needed.
Newbie
Jan 30, 2018
26 posts
9 upvotes
Enercare showed up to my house after I agreed to have them come over for their yearly mainentance check-up.....BIG MISTAKE lol. On one hand, the technicians are just doing their job but on the other hand the company's tactics are scary.

So the technician shut down my furnace and gave me some heaters. He said that the heat exchanger needed to be replaced and quoted $1000 plus tax parts and labour. The technician said that it might be better for buy a new furnace since repairs are not always the best solution. I will be honest I panicked and agreed and signed the red tag. After the technician left, I felt like something was not right so I called another gas technician to come and see the furnace. This other technician came and said that first you cannot see the heat exchanger without opening up the furnace. Second, he tested for carbon monoxide and the detection was zero for inside and very minimal for outside.

So I called Enercare and advised that I am doing my own investigation and hiring another licensed technician to disqualify the red tag. Enercare called back the next day 9am and all of sudden they said that the furnace is fine and just needs a $350 repair but it is covered under the plan.

That is the last time I am going to agree to a yearly maintenace clean-up. I will only call when my furnace is not working.

Top