• Jul 28th, 2020 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2922 posts
1411 upvotes
GTA

Protein powder

I was just slightly above the underweight mark, and since pandemic began I lost ~10 pounds, too much work, stress and a very demanding toddler to care for.

I'm a vegetarian (no fish, no meat) and generally eat a lot of veggies and some protein rich legumes and lentils. My daily exercise is walk ~3km everyday, but can go for cycling if I gain some weight.

Just wondering if I can use protein powder to to put on some weight. Any recommendations? I'm not planning on to build serious muscles etc. Just to gain some weight and feel energetic.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6686 posts
1420 upvotes
You don’t need protein powder to put on weight, you just need to increase your caloric intake. Calories from fat, carbs, protein will all contribute toward your intake. Easiest way to add kcals is to add fats to what you already eat (9kcal/g of fat, 4 kcal/g of protein and carbohydrate).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2922 posts
1411 upvotes
GTA
amz155 wrote: You don’t need protein powder to put on weight, you just need to increase your caloric intake. Calories from fat, carbs, protein will all contribute toward your intake. Easiest way to add kcals is to add fats to what you already eat (9kcal/g of fat, 4 kcal/g of protein and carbohydrate).
when I had my cholesterol test in Jan, doctor told me that my good cholesterol is slightly low and that I avoid certain foods that have high fat. I guess I need to see a dietitian?
Dec 1, 2008
79 posts
11 upvotes
headleygrange wrote: when I had my cholesterol test in Jan, doctor told me that my good cholesterol is slightly low and that I avoid certain foods that have high fat. I guess I need to see a dietitian?
Yeah see a professional. Loosing this much weight is not good. For fat eat good fat avocado, nuts, olive oil, omega in moderation. This will increase your good cholesterol
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
424 upvotes
Drop the cardio if you can’t eat more. No cardio and heavy weights... get to the weight you want then adjust calories to hold said weight.
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
May 6, 2018
205 posts
210 upvotes
For your convenience, you can try to add one more meal/snack with decent amount of calories(Say 200-300). Continuing to keep this diet for two weeks or a month, weight yourself every week to see if it’s working. If you don’t see results, try to reduce your activity level or eat more calories.

You don’t have to calculate calories everyday. You just need to know if you’re eating more food than your old diet.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16855 posts
4630 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
headleygrange wrote: I was just slightly above the underweight mark, and since pandemic began I lost ~10 pounds, too much work, stress and a very demanding toddler to care for.

I'm a vegetarian (no fish, no meat) and generally eat a lot of veggies and some protein rich legumes and lentils. My daily exercise is walk ~3km everyday, but can go for cycling if I gain some weight.

Just wondering if I can use protein powder to to put on some weight. Any recommendations? I'm not planning on to build serious muscles etc. Just to gain some weight and feel energetic.
Protein by itself will never help you gain weight. In fact, it's the most safest macro to overeat and not gain fat. If you want to gain weight, add calories, and carbs/fats make more sense, but do keep maintain the protein targets for the day.