ProtonMail Plus + ProtonVPN Plus

Deal Link:
Price:
7.50/month
Savings:
50%
Expiry:
December 8, 2019
Looks like they're discounting their email and vpn services by 50% on a 2 year bundle for their BF deal. They never go on sale so it's a pretty good deal if you're looking for a mail service and vpn as well.

You'll need to signup to their free service to see the promo pop up. Deal ends in 9 hours so act fast.
Last edited by vivibaby on Dec 8th, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Feb 22, 2013
936 posts
786 upvotes
Good deal OP. Unfortunately the general public would rather sell their information instead of pay for ad and tracking free webmail.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6518 posts
5686 upvotes
I had proton vpn and then stopped using it because it was too expensive and constantly stopped working ..... I also had a protonMail account with the same login but was using the free service, they locked me out of my email until I paid whatever they deemed necessary for me to pay for the time I already stopped using it.

I now just use the free mail service on it's own and use other VPNs that have similar feature sets for a much better price.
Feb 14, 2006
584 posts
530 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
Gtaphotog wrote: I had proton vpn and then stopped using it because it was too expensive and constantly stopped working ..... I also had a protonMail account with the same login but was using the free service, they locked me out of my email until I paid whatever they deemed necessary for me to pay for the time I already stopped using it.

I now just use the free mail service on it's own and use other VPNs that have similar feature sets for a much better price.
This is my concern with paid emails. Are you completely locked out when subscription expires?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6518 posts
5686 upvotes
Ruciz wrote: This is my concern with paid emails. Are you completely locked out when subscription expires?
I have no access until I pay whatever it is they want me to.

Email should always be accessible for absolutely free, the additional features and options should be behind a paywall and locked if one doesn't pay.
Feb 10, 2017
201 posts
186 upvotes
Calgary
Ruciz wrote: This is my concern with paid emails. Are you completely locked out when subscription expires?
If you're within the free user limits, you can continue using the service for free. If you're over the limits (whether it's storage, custom domains, etc), they'll ask you to pay to continue your subscription.
Oct 11, 2004
685 posts
115 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
I've got a work colleague that got this package and he likes it.

If you have the money go for it, to at least support the initiative.

Personally, I did my homework and I don't think that it's worth it.
Besides missing the calendar feature, limited number of aliases, no catch-all rule, near ransomware approach when paid account expires, it's just too expensive.
The encryption is local to ProtonMail servers and emails send to other encryption supported email servers. Message titles, I believe are not encrypted either.

Now, most of the people you will ever write to, already use Gmail (gsuite), Yahoo, Microsoft or Apple(?).
These emails, while encrypted on ProtonMail, are stored as plain text on the other end.
At this point, you're probably better off going self-hosted or setting up a cheaper SMTP server on some web-hosting company no one ever heard of and that you know doesn't care about mining your data.

While I do love the idea of privacy on the net, it just won't happen. Just look at how hard it is to load a website when all the addons (no-script, uBlock, https Everywhere, Smart Referrer, Skip-Redirect, etc.) are enabled.

One thing everyone should do, is buy a domain and move their emails to that domain. This will allow them the freedom of moving their emails wherever they want. i.e. get rid of the @videotron,@sympatico,@aol,@gmail,@hotmail,@icloud emails.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1972 posts
1312 upvotes
Ottawa
temporary user wrote: This will allow them the freedom of moving their emails wherever they want. i.e. get rid of the @videotron,@sympatico,@aol,@gmail,@hotmail,@icloud emails.
Something I highly recommend is not to use the carrier's email, you don't want to get stuck with them paying premium fees just to keep using their email. Gmail and hotmail offer more freedom and are most likely to make it to the next decade+
Feb 11, 2019
373 posts
428 upvotes
ON
Just to add to this, email is itself an inherently insecure medium and most methods of encryption limit the usability and universality to the point where you would be much better off using something else.
Jun 24, 2016
486 posts
489 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: I have no access until I pay whatever it is they want me to.

Email should always be accessible for absolutely free, the additional features and options should be behind a paywall and locked if one doesn't pay.
This is a pretty silly point of view honestly. If you're not paying for the service, you're not entitled to anything. If you want to be able to keep using your service after it expires, pay for a domain and be prepared to redirect it elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
6518 posts
5686 upvotes
Omesuri wrote: This is a pretty silly point of view honestly. If you're not paying for the service, you're not entitled to anything. If you want to be able to keep using your service after it expires, pay for a domain and be prepared to redirect it elsewhere.
What are you talking about?

I said I was using the free email service but since it was the same account as the proton VPN account that they wanted me to pay more before cancelling they blocked my access to protonmail, I couldn't even see their own messages to that email.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2007
1127 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
Gtaphotog wrote: What are you talking about?

I said I was using the free email service but since it was the same account as the proton VPN account that they wanted me to pay more before cancelling they blocked my access to protonmail, I couldn't even see their own messages to that email.
When was that? That must have been an unintentional bug that is now fixed. My VPN trial expired and I could still access my emails.