Cell Phones

which provider still uses GSM network in Ontario?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 10:05 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
2049 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto

which provider still uses GSM network in Ontario?

Does anyone know which provider still uses GSM network in Ontario? I know Rogers still has some towers, but any other?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Just Rogers/Fido. Telus & Bell fell back on CDMA before they built their HSPA network.
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
Randy6560 wrote: Rogers is shutting down 2G GSM at end of 2020 and stopping new activations this july as per,
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/roge ... mber-2020/
Oh no! I won't be able to use my tiniest phone in a couple of years.

Having a 2G backup phone in my watch pocket has turned out to be very handy a couple of times, as the lack of others using it gives a clear channel in crowded areas, when 3G and LTE are a bit clogged.
Images
  • 28164416_10211719012835769_2049615773421973205_o.jpg
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21330 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
IanBrantford wrote: Oh no! I won't be able to use my tiniest phone in a couple of years.

Having a 2G backup phone in my watch pocket has turned out to be very handy a couple of times, as the lack of others using it gives a clear channel in crowded areas, when 3G and LTE are a bit clogged.
And it may be unusable even sooner than that - since that article makes it pretty clear that Rogers has no interest in investing too much in it - sorry, I mean "it may be hard to get replacement parts" :P
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
wearysky wrote: And it may be unusable even sooner than that - since that article makes it pretty clear that Rogers has no interest in investing too much in it - sorry, I mean "it may be hard to get replacement parts" :P
Then I'll have to go back to my next-tiniest phone, which has 3G. :-)
Images
  • posh_s240.jpg
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Randy6560 wrote: Rogers is shutting down 2G GSM at end of 2020 and stopping new activations this july as per,
https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/04/roge ... mber-2020/
Finally! 🤣
IanBrantford wrote: Oh no! I won't be able to use my tiniest phone in a couple of years.

How often is 3G / LTE overcrowded? I get the odd garbage voice connection where I must hang up and redial, but doubt 2G GSM would really be worth the hassle the odd time that happens.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: How often is 3G / LTE overcrowded? I get the odd garbage voice connection where I must hang up and redial, but doubt 2G GSM would really be worth the hassle the odd time that happens.
It happened at a busy OnRoute stop a couple of months ago (remote location with likely limited total bandwidth, and a couple hundred people), and there are spotty problems at big events like last weekend's ComicCon.

It has less to do with the frequency with which it happens and more to do with the importance of establishing a call. I avoided many hours of stress for a fretful family member when I called to reassure them that the forecast storm hadn't hit yet, and I was getting back onto a still-safe road. I'd have turned on location sharing, but then any traffic issue like congestion might give the impression that I had been in a horrible accident.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)