• Sep 19th, 2020 7:59 am
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal

Ps+, Ps now, Ps+ Collection vs Gamepass

Hi !
after playing on xbox one for the last 5 years, i've choose to go with the ps5 in november. The main reason is to play the best exclusive ps4 game that I havent played (Detroit, Uncharted 4, God of war, Last of us 2....)
On Xbox one the Gamepass is a blast and a very good deal. Is seems that playstaion have not got the same kind of deal.

What is the ps+ collection ? Is seems we will be able to play great titles from ps4.
What is it ?
A monthly subsription that add to ps+ and ps now ?
A whole new monthly thing that replace ps+ and/or ps now ?

thanks !
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2680 posts
6237 upvotes
Windsor
Its just like IGC(Instant Game Collection which they dropped after launching PS4) back in the PS3 days. You get to play a bunch of games for 'free' whenever you join ps+ instead of just the monthly PS4 titles depending on which month you join. It has nothing to do with PS Now other than having some duplicate titles. This is a one-time bonus so dont expect anything like XGP. Even PS now cannot catch up with XGP ATM.

OT: IMO Detroit, Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 should be removed and replaced by Persona 5. Those 3 are overated.
Last edited by mymuro on Sep 18th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
tostaky wrote: The main reason is to play the best exclusive ps4 game that I havent played (Detroit, Uncharted 4, God of war, Last of us 2....)
So my question for you is, why not just get a PS4 Pro, and then grab a PS5 once the next gen games come out? You'd probably be able to save a lot of money that way, and we're not sure about whether PS4 backwards compatible games will get a boost on a PS5 AFAIK.

Right now the only launch window PS5 game I'm really interested in is Ratchet & Clank. Apparently Miles Morales and Horizon 2 are slated for PS4 release as well.

I'm def waiting til Sony comes out with a a slim PS5 with more storage space, and by then it'll probably have more next gen exclusives...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
tostaky wrote: Hi !
after playing on xbox one for the last 5 years, i've choose to go with the ps5 in november. The main reason is to play the best exclusive ps4 game that I havent played (Detroit, Uncharted 4, God of war, Last of us 2....)
On Xbox one the Gamepass is a blast and a very good deal. Is seems that playstaion have not got the same kind of deal.

What is the ps+ collection ? Is seems we will be able to play great titles from ps4.
What is it ?

thanks !
It's a bonus for PS+ subscribers who buy a PS5. There's no additional monthly charge. It's a curated collection of games, some of them widely considered the best of the generation. As long as you subscribe to PS+ you keep the games, just like their other monthlies. PS Now remains separate for the time being. I suspect eventually both Sony and Microsoft will be forced to combine their various monthly subs but that's probably a few years away.

It's not really comparable to Gamepass which is a separate subscription service for Xbox. It's more akin to if Games with Gold came with a bunch of first party games or something similar. Gamepass is a pretty solid value, though personally I've found the big games hit and miss with how long they stick around. RDR2 was gone in just 4 months for example. Other games stick around longer. I hope they negotiate more predictable contracts in the future, like each game on there for a year. I use it mainly to play indies and demo other stuff. The big advantage is day 1 first party stuff if you're into Microsoft's first party catalog. If you get a deal with Game Pass Ultimate then getting the PC stuff is nifty too, Flight Simulator is pretty neat.

Since you've already made your decision, maybe just pick up a Series S later on and play Gamepass stuff on that. That's what many people will do I suspect.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
M1GOmigs wrote: So my question for you is, why not just get a PS4 Pro, and then grab a PS5 once the next gen games come out?
It's an option, my television doesnt have 4k, does the pro bring something else over the slim ?
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1670 posts
719 upvotes
tostaky wrote: Hi !

What is it ?

thanks !
PS Now is the the equivalent of Gamepass on the Playstation side with access to over 800+ games. The problem is that many of the games can't be downloaded and must be streamed. Can be an issue for people with slow internet. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to testing out the service with the free trial.

PS+ collection is a collection of PS4 games available only to people on PS5 and have an active PS+ subscription (same as Xbox Live Gold).

The list includes:
God of War, Monster Hunter: World, Final Fantasy XV, Fallout 4, Mortal Kombat X, Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Ratchet & Clank, Days Gone, Until Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Battlefield 1, Infamous Second Son, Batman: Arkham Knight, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us Remastered, Persona 5, and Resident Evil 7.

M1GOmigs wrote: So my question for you is, why not just get a PS4 Pro, and then grab a PS5 once the next gen games come out? You'd probably be able to save a lot of money that way, and we're not sure about whether PS4 backwards compatible games will get a boost on a PS5 AFAIK.

Right now the only launch window PS5 game I'm really interested in is Ratchet & Clank. Apparently Miles Morales and Horizon 2 are slated for PS4 release as well.

I'm def waiting til Sony comes out with a a slim PS5 with more storage space, and by then it'll probably have more next gen exclusives...
A PS4 Pro retails for $499. It makes no sense to buy one at this point. For someone that has never owned a PS4 before the PS+ collection is a great bunch of games that will keep you busy for awhile. Take the money you would have spent on the PS4 and the games and put it towards the PS5.

PS4 games should get a boost in performance and load times on the PS5. At this point what's unclear is whether they will get any additional enhancements like HDR, Supersampling, texture filtering, etc.. like Xbox is doing with their backwards compatible games. So at this point it's safe to assume that PS4 games will look the same on PS5, just run better.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: A PS4 Pro retails for $499. It makes no sense to buy one at this point. For someone that has never owned a PS4 before the PS+ collection is a great bunch of games that will keep you busy for awhile. Take the money you would have spent on the PS4 and the games and put it towards the PS5.

PS4 games should get a boost in performance and load times on the PS5. At this point what's unclear is whether they will get any additional enhancements like HDR, Supersampling, texture filtering, etc.. like Xbox is doing with their backwards compatible games. So at this point it's safe to assume that PS4 games will look the same on PS5, just run better.
I didn't mean buy a brand new PS4 Pro, but wait to see what the 2nd hand market is like. EB Games is giving $270 for them now as a trade in towards PS5, but IIRC it was $230 before prices were announced. Could be a chance to nab a used one for around $300, or see what clearance deals there are. That's still significantly less than the $600+tax PS5...
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
Of course a used ps4 will cost less than a brand new ps5. But thinking about it, it's one new console every 6 years + upgrade my pc here eand ther. On the long run it's not much. I'm very far from being rich (making only 85k yearly) but I can easily buty myself a new console. Maybe it's not the wisest financial move beside going for a discounted ps4, but I can live with that !
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
tostaky wrote: Of course a used ps4 will cost less than a brand new ps5. But thinking about it, it's one new console every 6 years + upgrade my pc here eand ther. On the long run it's not much. I'm very far from being rich (making only 85k yearly) but I can easily buty myself a new console. Maybe it's not the wisest financial move beside going for a discounted ps4, but I can live with that !
Anyway, that's just me with my redflagdeals budget options hat on lol... Taking it off, get a PS5 and PS+ subscription and you'll have access to some of the best games in the PS4 era right away.
Last edited by M1GOmigs on Sep 18th, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1245 posts
338 upvotes
Montréal
Your option isnt a bad one but I dont feel the need to get a xbox s...I have a Xbox one S that is doing very fine and there will not be must get games around very soon on the new generation xbox.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
I bought an Xbox One X last boxing day for a pretty good deal using the ToysRus 20% stacking bonus. I ended up using the same thing to buy Xbox Live cards for cheap, and then did the covnersion to gamepass.

I find I rarely use gamepass. I'm way too persnickety about the games that I play. The ones it does have I either played already on the ps4, and since there's not much for xbox exclusives, there's not too many unique things.

I plan on buying a PS5. In my ideal world I want an all black one so it looks better on the TV stand. In addition I usually wait at least until there's a bundle that comes with a game I was going to buy anyways. Maybe if they make a Miles Morales bundle type thing.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
PS+ Collection is for PS5 owners that are subscribed to PS+.
I'm not sure if PS4 owners get access to it but I think it is unlikely they do because it says "New benefit for Playstation 5".

PS+ Collection when PS5 launches:

Persona 5 (3rd party exclusive)
Bloodborne
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
God of War PS4 (really should be called God of War 4) because it is a continuation not a reboot.
Detroit: Become Human
Mortal Kombat 10 (not 11) - multiplatform
Days Gone
Ratchet and Clank Reboot
Final Fantasy XV - multiplatform
Battlefield 1 - multiplatform
InFamous Second Son
The Last Guardian
Batman: Arkham Knight - multiplatform

playable on PS5 whenever as you have an active PS+ subscription

Those PS+ Collection exclusive first party games are better than the ones on GamePass by far IMO.

Gamepass on XBox One has these First Party Exclusives:

Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Forza Horizon 4
State of Decay 2
Halo Master Chief Collection
Halo 5
Gears 5 (Gears of War 5)
Gears of War 4
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Quantum Break

and 3rd party games that rotate in and out Netflix style.
(Most notable 3rd party games on GamePass are Red Dead Redemption 2, NieR Automata, Rise of the Tomb Raider,
Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil 7, Devil May Cry 5)

Last edited by XFactor11 on Sep 18th, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 20, 2009
511 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I find I rarely use gamepass. I'm way too persnickety about the games that I play.
I've felt the same about Game Pass the times I've been subscribed. Lots of content on there, but when I have a couple hours available to play, it's almost always something else that I want to play instead.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8663 upvotes
GTA
I'll be the contrarian here, but the PS+ Collection for PS5 doesn't excite me. Ratchet and Clank was great, UC4 and GOW are cool, and after that, meh. Some of the other titles I've either tried or own and have no interest.
Maybe because I don't own and XBox but I'd be more interested in Forza Horizon 4 and Quantum Break. I'd give the Ori games a go also.
In any case, either console people choose should have something that interests them, which is good. I wouldn't say either lineup is a clear winner.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8663 upvotes
GTA
jsadams wrote: I've felt the same about Game Pass the times I've been subscribed. Lots of content on there, but when I have a couple hours available to play, it's almost always something else that I want to play instead.
PS+ is the same for me. I have so many titles I have added and never started, I feel guilty about it. It just feels weird when you pay for the service and then it sits in your library. Sometimes I make an effort to play one and then I feel... Annoyed? Like I was forced to play it because I added it and then I have it sitting there knowing full well the sub I paid for is only a year long. There has to be some psychological explanation for that.
c'mon get happy!
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
jsadams wrote: I've felt the same about Game Pass the times I've been subscribed. Lots of content on there, but when I have a couple hours available to play, it's almost always something else that I want to play instead.
These sorts of services have the Netflix problem that people don't always know what they want to watch. So you look at the recommended content and if nothing suits you then you tend to find something else to do. A long time ago Netflix had this weird virtual assistant they experimented with where you could tell it what mood you were in and it would just pick something to play. It was really neat, the missus and I loved it. Of course they never took it out of beta then killed it off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)