PC & Video Games

PS4 Disc Drive Broke. Get it fixed or upgrade to Pro?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2016 8:11 am

Poll: Fix or Upgrade?

• Total votes: 24. You have voted on this poll.
Get it Fixed

17%
Sell As Is, Get a Pro

71%
Get it Fixed, Sell, Get a Pro

13%
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
134 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

PS4 Disc Drive Broke. Get it fixed or upgrade to Pro?

So my optical drive makes struggling noises and eventually spits out any disk I put in. I tried various reset methods online and nothing has worked. As far as I can see, my options are:
1.Send it to Sony for repairs ($111)
2.Get it fixed it a local electronics store for around $150 (anyone know any good places in the midtown Toronto area?)
3.Sell for maybe $150-200 (it's a glacier white console, if that makes any difference)? Then use those funds to go for a Pro (net cost after selling old PS4 = $360-$400).

If I go for the repair route, I'd like to have it back before FFXV comes out on the 29th. So I'm wary about sending it to Sony.

I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I may get one in the next year or so (or if I see a really good deal on Black Friday). But it's not a huge short-term priority right now.

Thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7446 posts
800 upvotes
None.
Go all digital with your games
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
134 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Seems to be the going rate for some of them on eBay. Even if it isn't fixed, it can still play digital games, access online streaming services, etc
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7446 posts
800 upvotes
C-Bacon wrote: Seems to be the going rate for some of them on eBay. Even if it isn't fixed, it can still play digital games, access online streaming services, etc
With the PS4 Pro out, some people will try to upgrade, so there might be an abundance of working used PS4 on the market
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
134 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
CFRTim wrote: None.
Go all digital with your games
Considered this. But I have a bunch of physical games in my backlog, including the end of Fallout 4. And the 500GB hard drive is a factor.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6603 posts
2680 upvotes
Canada
I'm not sure I'd pay to fix it. Actually, I doubt I would. I would flog it or use it as a digital only box.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34480 posts
4033 upvotes
Winnipeg
everyone who used to repair/mod consoles on rfd quit so... you may have a hard time getting a good rate on repairs, i'd sell as is and get a pro
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
134 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Got a quote from Gamerama at Yonge/Eg for $89-109. Not bad
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1612 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
sell and upgrade to a Pro bro
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
May 25, 2006
301 posts
23 upvotes
Its not hard to swap the bluray drive yourself and you can get a compatible one for $60
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Sell it and buy another regular PS4.

Or, youtube how to fix it yourself.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1488 posts
448 upvotes
I would sell/trade it in. I would take it into EB Games and try and get your $210 towards the Pro. They will more than likely just make sure the system powers on and can select through with the controller. If they ask just say you want to upgrade and be ahead of the game. Cause the $210 is is also tax free credit and so you are really getting $237.30 off your Pro system from them.
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1612 posts
1400 upvotes
Toronto
Invader Gir wrote: I would sell/trade it in. I would take it into EB Games and try and get your $210 towards the Pro. They will more than likely just make sure the system powers on and can select through with the controller. If they ask just say you want to upgrade and be ahead of the game. Cause the $210 is is also tax free credit and so you are really getting $237.30 off your Pro system from them.
Exactly this. When I traded mine in, they basically just made sure it turned on. (Not that there was anything wrong with my disk drive) I'm sure you can do this as well
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones