• Jul 22nd, 2015 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 29, 2013
746 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto

PS4 gaming headsets

There was a thread about PS4 headsets a while ago but it was mostly centred around the PS Golds, so I decided to start something new.

I use the optical audio out on my PS4 to hook it up to my sound system; so options like some of the Astro headsets aren't suitable, as I believe they use optical audio out on the PS4. That leaves me with USB/Bluetooth based wireless options, or options that are wired to the controller (which is fine for me too).

From the reviews I have read/watched, the PS Gold headset (and the Elites too) have very poor microphone performance. I mostly use my headset for chat (leaving game audio going through my sound system) so mic performance is a strong consideration. It seems like the Skullcandy PLYR 1 and Sennheiser 320 might be suitable options. Do you folks have any other favourites that you like that have good mic performance?
1 reply
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
qualdoth wrote: There was a thread about PS4 headsets a while ago but it was mostly centred around the PS Golds, so I decided to start something new.
I use the optical audio out on my PS4 to hook it up to my sound system; so options like some of the Astro headsets aren't suitable, as I believe they use optical audio out on the PS4. That leaves me with USB/Bluetooth based wireless options, or options that are wired to the controller (which is fine for me too).
From the reviews I have read/watched, the PS Gold headset (and the Elites too) have very poor microphone performance. I mostly use my headset for chat (leaving game audio going through my sound system) so mic performance is a strong consideration. It seems like the Skullcandy PLYR 1 and Sennheiser 320 might be suitable options. Do you folks have any other favourites that you like that have good mic performance?
RFD Audiophile peeps are probably going to hate me for saying this, but I bought a pair of Logitech wireless H600s with the USB dongle a few months ago. Works like a charm on PS4, the retractable boom mic is pretty decent with noise cancelling, it folds flat when not in use and the lithium ion battery lasts for days. I picked them up for $16 at Factory Direct.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/w ... adset-h600