• Feb 5th, 2021 11:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
248 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge

PS4 issue

Hi trying to fix my grandson's PS4. Would appreciate thoughts and comments from the more experienced. While playing a disc game the PS4 crashed. The message came up to insert the game controller in USB port, which I did , and then installed the system file I downloaded from PS store, believe it was ver 8.03. Did an install and we were able to log into the system etc. When he went to play another game it crashed again. Did the install as per above. Thinking it may be the CD 0layer I went to download a game from the PS store. It stopped about halfway and the system crashed. Reinstalled as above. I am thinking it is the hard drive but not sure on the Cd player. Before I purchase anything would appreciate comments, or should I trash the console. Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3043 posts
3138 upvotes
GTA
ceccam wrote: Hi trying to fix my grandson's PS4. Would appreciate thoughts and comments from the more experienced. While playing a disc game the PS4 crashed. The message came up to insert the game controller in USB port, which I did , and then installed the system file I downloaded from PS store, believe it was ver 8.03. Did an install and we were able to log into the system etc. When he went to play another game it crashed again. Did the install as per above. Thinking it may be the CD 0layer I went to download a game from the PS store. It stopped about halfway and the system crashed. Reinstalled as above. I am thinking it is the hard drive but not sure on the Cd player. Before I purchase anything would appreciate comments, or should I trash the console. Thanks in advance.
Definitely don't trash, it's repairable. My initial guess could be HDD or overheating.
I would suggest you message @XtremeModder as he repairs consoles and can probably give you a better idea. Also try posting in Entertainment -> PC & Video Games subforum, you'll might get more relevant eyeballs there.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
248 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
Thanks for the info. I Will follow up as you have suggested
[OP]
Nov 11, 2007
248 posts
8 upvotes
Cambridge
Hi trying to fix my grandson's PS4. Would appreciate thoughts and comments from the more experienced. While playing a disc game the PS4 crashed. The message came up to insert the game controller in USB port, which I did , and then installed the system file I downloaded from PS store, believe it was ver 8.03. Did an install and we were able to log into the system etc. When he went to play another game it crashed again. Did the install as per above. Thinking it may be the CD 0layer I went to download a game from the PS store. It stopped about halfway and the system crashed. Reinstalled as above. I am thinking it is the hard drive but not sure about the Cd player. Before I purchase anything would appreciate comments, or should I trash the console. Thanks in advance.
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
12574 posts
21300 upvotes
Could be an overheating issue usually means opening it up , disassemble , clean fan , heat sink and fresh thermal paste application. I often do that when systems suddenly crash .
There also could be an issue with your hard drive that might have bad sectors . Hard drive replacement can often fix some crash issues .
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1418 posts
1094 upvotes
Ottawa
Do you happen to have the error code? Is the system making any particular sounds?