PS4 PS Vita remoteplay with Fido LTE?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2014 6:03 pm
Jul 21, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

PS4 PS Vita remoteplay with Fido LTE?

I recently switched from Mobilicity to Fido's LTE plan and although I get really fast internet access when I'm on my phone, I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to connect to my ps4 at home using my phone as a tether for my Vita. Has anyone been able to remoteplay over Fido's network?

would getting a better router help, my ps4 is hard connected via ethernet cable though.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
I call dibs as first poster on your next thread - the one where you complain and ask for a way out of paying for going waaaaay over your data limit.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
^+1 :lol:

Don't know much about this OP, so not much I can add, but I did a quick google search and found something that might help?

http://www.thesixthaxis.com//2013/12/13 ... 4-at-work/

And this:http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Remote_Play

I think having PS4 hard-wired is the best setup, from what I read.
Remote Play works best on a home network, with the PS4 hardwired into your router, and the PS Vita connected via WIFI to the system itself. It does not mean you can't have both systems hooked up via WIFI, but Sony recommends the PS4 hardwired for the best results. It has been proven to be stream from anywhere in your home or the limits of your WIFI, as long as you have strong enough bandwidth to withstand the media you're trying to stream.

Taking the Vita outside of the range of your network (on a different Wi-Fi) is possible and optimal with a PS4 wired connected to good internet speed and good Wi-Fi speed on vita. For exemple 15 mbit/s download and 10 mbit/s upload on both connection will make remote play work with really low latency. But using remote play outside of your network might result in connectivity problems, or latency, if some of the above are not respected. 3G will not support Remote Play, but it is possible to create a hotspot on a LTE enabled smartphone to make it work.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Remote Play is meant to be used on the same local network. Your mobile connections latency is going to be way to high to use it even if you could connect.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1749 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
I've used it a few times over Rogers LTE but only when I'm near the end of the month and still have a ton of bandwidth left on my 6Gb plan.

First thing's first. This will eat up your data in no time. I estimated that for every hour of play, you will eat away close to 1Gb. Keep that in mind or else you will be fighting a big phone bill.

As for getting it working, I suggest making sure you are using a wired connection on your PS4 and your home connection has an upload speed of at least 3Mbps. I had 1Mbps and it struggled big time to remote play over the internet. After upgrading to 3Mbps, it runs without a hitch.

If you are having no issues with remote Play on the same network, getting it working via internet should be simple. If not, there are settings and exceptions you have to change on your router such as port forwarding, DHCP reservations, and the DMZ.

If you aren't familiar with the above options, I suggest doing some research and reading up on it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
I remember seeing a video where a person tested this over LTE. It worked fine but he used his Android phone's WiFi hotspot feature to connect to his Vita. I think tethering through the phone's Bluetooth limits the connection speed.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Jul 21, 2010
11 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
EFF3KT wrote: I've used it a few times over Rogers LTE but only when I'm near the end of the month and still have a ton of bandwidth left on my 6Gb plan.

First thing's first. This will eat up your data in no time. I estimated that for every hour of play, you will eat away close to 1Gb. Keep that in mind or else you will be fighting a big phone bill.

As for getting it working, I suggest making sure you are using a wired connection on your PS4 and your home connection has an upload speed of at least 3Mbps. I had 1Mbps and it struggled big time to remote play over the internet. After upgrading to 3Mbps, it runs without a hitch.

If you are having no issues with remote Play on the same network, getting it working via internet should be simple. If not, there are settings and exceptions you have to change on your router such as port forwarding, DHCP reservations, and the DMZ.

If you aren't familiar with the above options, I suggest doing some research and reading up on it.

This must be the issue, thank you. My upload speed is horrible

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)