PS5 vs Xbox debate thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 7:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
vonblock wrote: Yeah, it's crazy how just a little drop to 1800P get such a massive difference in Pixels counts.

The image quality difference between both resolution is also really low. Before i sold my PC to my little nephew, I was always targeting 1800P for that extra framerate performance for almost zero quality difference.

I'd still prefer if console target lower resolution but with better eye candy.

But yeah, Xbox has a beefier GPU. There's no arguing that.

This gen look really fantastic for gaming on both console! Finally, 60fps is the new normal and aliasing is mostly a thing of the past.
Not to mention xbox version has more framerate drops especially in that one level.

I wonder if there was a lead platform for this game.

Either way let's see if this a pattern or a mirage.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Caerus wrote: Thinking about this a bit more. The performance advantage is actually pretty damn impressive.

The XSX is pushing ~44% more pixels than the PS5 version, and is also using High quality shadows, vs Medium quality on PS5.

Yeah, it's only 1 game so far, but if this is the trend going forward, the XSX is in really good shape.
Good shape for what? Last Gen xbox was even more powerful and it didn't pay dividends.

Release more and better games or bust.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
BernardRyder wrote: The same can be said for the PlayStation. Their devs will find ways to squeeze more out of the console and translate that into games. Channels such as DF will point the differences out, but in most cases I don't think regular gamers will care as much.
If Pro versions of both consoles come out within the next few years, I'm sure the differences will be even less.
That's the point really.

Unless you have both console side by side and you're looking for it, they'll both look really great.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
vonblock wrote: Yeah, it's crazy how just a little drop to 1800P get such a massive difference in Pixels counts.

The image quality difference between both resolution is also really low. Before i sold my PC to my little nephew, I was always targeting 1800P for that extra framerate performance for almost zero quality difference.

I'd still prefer if console target lower resolution but with better eye candy.

But yeah, Xbox has a beefier GPU. There's no arguing that.

This gen look really fantastic for gaming on both console! Finally, 60fps is the new normal and aliasing is mostly a thing of the past.
Yeah that's true. I also agree with the idea of dropping resolution to boost visuals (to an extent). XSS should never drop under 1080p for example. I also want 60fps to be the standard, no more 30fps.

I hate to use the term diminishing returns, but unless your TV is relatively large, as well as your seating distance, it would be pretty difficult to notice a difference between 1800p and 4K, despite the 44% increase in pixels. But it's nice to know it's being utilized though when possible, and just the grunt behind the scenes. The visual quality settings are what would be more noticeable, like using high vs medium shadows. I mean imagine if the XSX was also running at 1800p, what other eye candy they could have loaded in there when you don't need to worry about pushing way more pixels.

If it keeps up this way, then XSX will be similar to X1X, where it will generally have the best version of 3rd party/multiplatform titles. It's just 1 title so far still, but the performance delta is pretty big. So the potential is there.

Now MS just needs to get their ass in gear and have those 23 studios pumping stuff out already.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
berklon wrote: It's not surprising. As was mentioned before, all the framerate/quality issues with the XSX we saw were due to the late GDK and developers needing to get used to it.

Developers are now using the GDK and they're beginning to get used to it, so naturally they're getting more power out of the XSX.
They're only just scratching the surface too. For example, they're only using Tier 1 of VRS - they'll get even more performance using Tier 2. There are also numerous other RDNA 2 features that can be used as well. This will solidify the fact that XSX is the most powerful console.
True, but the launch of XSX was shaky at best. And you had some people continuing to dispute the power advantage the XSX had over the PS5 prior to launch. Then afterward, the late dev tools are just an excuse, etc. And hey, the multiplatform launch titles were distinctly in favour of PS5. So there were grounds for it (but yes, Sony did have more mature dev tools out way ahead of MS).

I bought the XSX first this time around primarily because of GamePass, but also because it was the most powerful console. On paper is one thing, but it wasn't showing up out of the gate. And that can be discouraging to a lot of people. Especially early on when nobody knew about the issues with the dev tools. I mean I'll have both consoles eventually, so it's not a big deal. But people only invested in XSX because of the power advantage, I can totally see being pissed when they kept racking up the Ls Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.

But launch titles are never a good representation. I've said a bunch of times that you'll probably need a year or two to really see where things stand. XSX will be the better performer overall, but PS5 will load a little bit quicker. So yeah once the dev tools really mature (I still doubt we're really seeing it yet) and they start taking full advantage of everything RDNA2 has to offer, that performance advantage will start to really show. So far it's still a 1 off, but the much higher resolution and higher visual settings are promising.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
@Caerus

So very true about TV size and distance with 4K.
I got a computer chair so I can sit really close to my 65" 4K TV, so I can actually enjoy all that resolution in games. Using the couch that is a little farther away is OK for movies and TV, but to get the full 4K experience in games, you have to be closer to it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary

Control Digital Foundry comparison is out

Basically the same game on both consoles with a slight advantage ATM to PS5 due to some stuttering issues on XSX and file size (also it being available as a freebie on PS+ means if you are a multi console owner that is probably the way to go) well PS5 has some crushed blacks. However both the stutters ON XSX and crushed blacks on PS5 are apparently being corrected in a title update.

- 1440p/30fps with RT on graphics mode upscale to 2160P using Temporal Construction
- 60 fps mode, same as above without the RT
- Xbox Series S only runs one mode 900p/60fps upscales to 1080p using Temporal Construction

Also oddly PS5 takes about half as much space as the XSX version of the Game:
42GB on XSX vs. 27GB on PS5.

Apparently this is due to the Kraken compression techniques that Sony developed, I'll be interested to see how this plays out in the future because this appears to be the first game to use that.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
1689 posts
1539 upvotes
thanks for the summary, hopefully Xbox steps up their game and upgrades the GPU edition to Ultimate
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
30fps RT or 60 fps ..... decisions...
And yes, I am waiting for GPU to update to this edition
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder if Sony is going to gimp the Xbox version of MLB: The Show 21.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
PS5 version uses the dualsense features and 3D Tempest Audio.

It will be funny to see the Playstation Studios boot up screen on XBox.
But if Bethesda games end up not being completely exclusive to Microsoft, then the Microsoft Studios boot up will show up on Playstation 5.

9394 wrote: I wonder if Sony is going to gimp the Xbox version of MLB: The Show 21.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: PS5 version uses the dualsense features and 3D Tempest Audio.

It will be funny to see the Playstation Studios boot up screen on XBox.
But if Bethesda games end up not being completely exclusive to Microsoft, then the Microsoft Studios boot up will show up on Playstation 5.

I'll be admiring all the games I can't play on Xbox. Face With Tears Of Joy Would be hilarious if Sony added a special message to the Xbox boot-up sequence like "twice the number of consoles sold..."
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes

They found out that Photo mode allowed the game to run beyond the locked 30fps with Raytracing enabled. So they did some comparisons for times when 1 or both console dropped below 60fps. It allowed for a direct benchmarking comparison with the same settings between consoles.

- On average the XSX ran 16% faster than the PS5 with RT enabled.
- XSX generally ran in the 50s, PS5 was in the 40s. With a fps difference ranging from 1fps to 16fps.
- Mentioned the clear hardware GPU advantage XSX has.
- If they dropped resolution to 1080p, XSX could likely be upped to 60fps with RT. Unsure about PS5.
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote:

They found out that Photo mode allowed the game to run beyond the locked 30fps with Raytracing enabled. So they did some comparisons for times when 1 or both console dropped below 60fps. It allowed for a direct benchmarking comparison with the same settings between consoles.

- On average the XSX ran 16% faster than the PS5 with RT enabled.
- XSX generally ran in the 50s, PS5 was in the 40s. With a fps difference ranging from 1fps to 16fps.
- Mentioned the clear hardware GPU advantage XSX has.
- If they dropped resolution to 1080p, XSX could likely be upped to 60fps with RT. Unsure about PS5.
Waiting for @RiftOfChaos rebuttal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8627 upvotes
GTA
9394 wrote: Waiting for @RiftOfChaos rebuttal.
LOL

I won't speak for RoC, but the fact that anyone is awaiting his rebuttal means he's gotten under your skins too well.
And honestly, a good rebuttal could be:
-Analysis sounds fair, but it needs to be in a non-game mode to happen? Not exactly a hack, but neither does it sound as its intended gameplay mode.
-The more powerful hardware performed about 16% faster with RT. Good. How that plays into long-term sales is less conclusive.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4372 posts
6939 upvotes
What this also might imply though, is that the performance hiccups XSX is still having likely aren't GPU related (or the newer dev kits have potentially resolved that portion Winking Face). When you isolate graphics performance on its own, the XSX has a clear GPU performance advantage. Without implementing some of their other features yet like SFS, etc.

So those weird dips and stutters are likely coming from somewhere else. Hopefully they can figure that out and fix it with future driver updates.
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: LOL

I won't speak for RoC, but the fact that anyone is awaiting his rebuttal means he's gotten under your skins too well.
And honestly, a good rebuttal could be:
-Analysis sounds fair, but it needs to be in a non-game mode to happen? Not exactly a hack, but neither does it sound as its intended gameplay mode.
-The more powerful hardware performed about 16% faster with RT. Good. How that plays into long-term sales is less conclusive.
And how exactly is that going to affect us as gamers, or the visual quality of games, and not the share holders. I guess an argument can be made that more sales will equal more games and more developers interested in the platform, and that in return could potentially yield more "refined games", but that's really a moot point.
Personally, I enjoy ROC comments on here, especially when that "deal-guy" used to refute them; but I can see how some people find them negative and they become irrelevant, even more so when he does it in other threads as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8627 upvotes
GTA
Caerus wrote: What this also might imply though, is that the performance hiccups XSX is still having likely aren't GPU related (or the newer dev kits have potentially resolved that portion Winking Face). When you isolate graphics performance on its own, the XSX has a clear GPU performance advantage. Without implementing some of their other features yet like SFS, etc.

So those weird dips and stutters are likely coming from somewhere else. Hopefully they can figure that out and fix it with future driver updates.
Yeah I don't think the GPU is ever going to be an issue, unless there is some sort of baked-in bug that only the Xbox has. Fat chance in that.
These are new consoles and as such, early games always tend to be the least optimized. That's just a historical thing for consoles. So getting worked up over FPS and all that on two pieces of similar hardware this early into the game is fun, but doesn't equate to much. Both consoles will get better and more optimized over time.
CFRTim wrote: And how exactly is that going to affect us as gamers, or the visual quality of games, and not the share holders. I guess an argument can be made that more sales will equal more games and more developers interested in the platform, and that in return could potentially yield more "refined games", but that's really a moot point.
Personally, I enjoy ROC comments on here, especially when that "deal-guy" used to refute them; but I can see how some people find them negative and they become irrelevant, even more so when he does it in other threads as well.
Gamers will care about visual quality either because they actually notice (but it won't be that dramtic a difference) or will be told to care by other (usually paid) influencers. Also makes for good marketing if it continues, which will sway people also under the best/fastest logic. As a part of a whole, it should sway people if the rest of the console offers better value for their needs. But as a PlayStation owner, slightly better visual performance won't sway me to Xbox, as my ecosystem is already PlayStation, so the value for me is in that platform. Xbox owners should be pretty happy with the better performance.
As far as more developers being interested in the platform, I mean there aren't that many places to put console titles so I can't see that making a difference. Developers are more interested in making money, so the best solution would be multi-platform games. That is unless they are locked into an exclusivity deal, have a personal issue with a specific console manufacturer, or are owned by a specific console manufacturer.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
I can't remember the last time I purchased/watched a BR disc, but I'm sure other people do

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)