PS5 vs Xbox Series S/X debate thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2021 2:39 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3976 posts
4181 upvotes
GTA
9394 wrote: Must be 399MB of Malware....
I think the malware was the March patch that broke the game. For this one they called the inefficient programmers in. It addresses this:

“fixed a crash for players with Unicode characters in their username.”

Clearly they called in the B squad to handle this one Face With Tears Of Joy
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19829 posts
9251 upvotes
Oakville
BernardRyder wrote: It's good to support all platforms your games are on, even for older games. It's not so good when it doesn't address real issues, fixes a minor issue, and weighs in at 400mb

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/micr ... 60001.html
I'm truly fascinated by this, I'd love to hear the explanation as to why it was 400mb for a fix to unicode user names.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2006
1154 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
Console wars is **** dumb. Play what you want and don't belittle others for their choice.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9406 posts
3922 upvotes
Console wars have always existed.
Even PC vs console gamers.

I own all consoles and a gaming PC but I still have preferences for certain games and developers over others.
Kinata wrote: Console wars is **** dumb. Play what you want and don't belittle others for their choice.

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2640 posts
3814 upvotes
Everyone has their preferences. It's when preference turns to fanboyism that things become toxic.

When the only way someone can enjoy something, is when it's at the expense of something else, then it's a problem. I don't even like to associate with people like that, because it sucks the enjoyment out of what's supposed to be a pleasant pastime.

My preference so far this generation has been the XSX, but that doesn't mean I hate the PS5 (Jim Ryan though... Neutral Face). I'll still be buying one eventually (price drop, slim model, hopefully without a dumb stand). There are just going to be great games on all 3 systems.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5012 posts
3386 upvotes
Toronto and London
As a Sony fanboy, still have played my Xbox more to date.

But that's changing with Sony releasing their best in class exclusives, starting with Returnal!!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3976 posts
4181 upvotes
GTA
RiftOfChaos wrote: As a Sony fanboy, still have played my Xbox more to date.

But that's changing with Sony releasing their best in class exclusives, starting with Returnal!!
The Returnal... of RofC! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2039 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
I feel console wars aren't as bad today as they were during SNES/Genesis or PS1/N64 days.

It seems like the three console manufacturers are in a strong position. Usually two of them are doing well and the other is floundering.

The only other time I felt that three console manufacturers were doing well was probably around 2009-2010 when the Wii was still strong and the PS3 was making a comeback with strong first party exclusives.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20108 posts
6094 upvotes
Was just at Walmart. They are going to tear the old shelving out and expand the videogame hardware section including removing some of the space for TVs and using that for Switch systems and games. Apparently, the amount of games will be reduced but the amount of space for hardware will be increased. Seems like they expect to start selling systems in store again soon. That will be great. Will get rid of the scalpers if they stick to a strict 1 per customer rule. Getting caught selling multiple systems should IMO result in immediate dismissal. That's what they used to do when I worked for them years ago...get caught hiding rare toys or other items and you are gone. Everyone is being taped anyway in the store but at least a few people always think they can get away with it...
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20108 posts
6094 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote: I feel console wars aren't as bad today as they were during SNES/Genesis or PS1/N64 days.

It seems like the three console manufacturers are in a strong position. Usually two of them are doing well and the other is floundering.

The only other time I felt that three console manufacturers were doing well was probably around 2009-2010 when the Wii was still strong and the PS3 was making a comeback with strong first party exclusives.
Actually, numbers for both Sony and Microsoft as well as Nintendo show otherwise bolstered by strong sales of all systems.

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/m ... isi/zb31b5

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/sonys-profit- ... 25882.html
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2039 posts
681 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: Actually, numbers for both Sony and Microsoft as well as Nintendo show otherwise bolstered by strong sales of all systems.

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/m ... isi/zb31b5

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/sonys-profit- ... 25882.html
Yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all doing very well. It's rare to see all three makers doing this well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6910 posts
5407 upvotes
Toronto
Disclaimer: Not a DF video.

Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2640 posts
3814 upvotes
9394 wrote: Disclaimer: Not a DF video.
This side by side by side shows similar results to yours, so I think they're accurate.

With RT Off both PS5 and XSX are locked 60fps, XSS is 60fps with a couple of drops. With RT On XSX performs better overall compared to PS5, holding 60fps more consistently and the frames don't drop as much (VRR would probably help with that too). But overall they were relatively close.

I'm actually surprised XSS did that well with RT On. The graph was spazzing out, but it stayed over 30fps and into the 40s afaics. I think they should drop the resolution to 1080p from 1440p, at least when RT is enabled, which might get them to 60fps. I think devs shouldn't even bother with 1440p unless they can get 1080p locked first on XSS.

What's interesting is the picture is different between PS5 and XS. The image is warmer on Xbox and cooler on PS5. The warmer image looks more natural. It looks too blue on PS5.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2640 posts
3814 upvotes
Here you go. DF Comparison, similar results. Game runs with an unlocked framerate.

RT Off: XSX/PS5 locked 60fps (Reconstructed 4K, possibly checkerboard).
RT On: XSX holds 60fps more consistently. When both dip, roughly 9 - 10% higher framerate on XSX. High 40s on PS5, and mid 50s on XSX.

XSS, just run it with RT Off Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. Holds 60fps with the occasional dip (Reconstructed 1440p, possibly checkerboard). RT On is 30s - 40s.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6910 posts
5407 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: Here you go. DF Comparison, similar results. Game runs with an unlocked framerate.

RT Off: XSX/PS5 locked 60fps (Reconstructed 4K, possibly checkerboard).
RT On: XSX holds 60fps more consistently. When both dip, roughly 9 - 10% higher framerate on XSX. High 40s on PS5, and mid 50s on XSX.

XSS, just run it with RT Off Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. Holds 60fps with the occasional dip (Reconstructed 1440p, possibly checkerboard). RT On is 30s - 40s.
I guess this is the standard that we all expected with the differences in hardware?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3976 posts
4181 upvotes
GTA
Epic asked Xbox to make F2P multiplayer free for all Xbox players last year to show up Apple

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/4/22419 ... apple-case
Microsoft’s removal of the Xbox Live Gold requirement came after the company was forced to reverse a price hike to its Xbox Live Gold subscriptions earlier this year. Microsoft had attempted to double the cost of a yearly Xbox Live Gold subscription, a move that backfired. Microsoft quickly reversed the decision and offered to remove the paywall for free-to-play multiplayer games.
Was the hike meant to make up for the free F2P?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9406 posts
3922 upvotes
Playstation and Nintendo allowed free-to-play games without requiring a PS+ membership or Nintendo Online membership since the start.

Think of how many people there might have been that bought a PS4 or Nintendo Switch to play Fortnite, Warzone, Genshin Impact, or Rocket League instead of an XBox between 2017 to 2021 (since Fortnite's release date)
because free-to-play games were locked behind a minimum XBox Live Gold membership prior to last week.

BernardRyder wrote: Epic asked Xbox to make F2P multiplayer free for all Xbox players last year to show up Apple

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/4/22419 ... apple-case

Was the hike meant to make up for the free F2P?
Last edited by XFactor11 on May 4th, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2640 posts
3814 upvotes
That Epic v. Apple case is bringing up all kinds of dirt on everyone. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Sony fighting against crossplay when MS and Nintendo were doing it, was only allowed because Sony forces compensation from publishers. MS and Nintendo don't.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22417560/sony-ps4-cross-play-confidential-documents-epic-games-agreements

In the months leading up to Sony’s decision to block Fortnite crossplay in 2018, Epic Games had pleaded with Sony to enable crossplay
Kreiner proposed, “We announce crossplay in conjunction with Sony. Epic goes out of its way to make Sony look like heroes.” Epic even offered to brand its E3 presence with PlayStation or add unique characters, exclusive to PS Plus subscribers, to sweeten the deal. “Let’s make this a huge win for us all. Epic’s not changing it’s mind on the issue, so let’s just agree on it now,” said Kreiner.

Sony didn’t agree.
Gio Corsi, Sony’s senior director of developer relations at the time, dismissed the idea of crossplay, noting that “cross-platform play is not a slam dunk no matter the size of the title” — a clear reference to Epic’s flex about Fortnite’s dominance on PlayStation. “As you know, many companies are exploring this idea and not a single one can explain how cross-console play improves the PlayStation business,” said Corsi.
But as of August 2019, it appears that Sony may have found a worthy argument: a way to potentially siphon off money from its competitors in exchange for access to PlayStation players.
Sony may now approach crossplay: a cross-platform revenue share, forcing publishers to pay Sony a royalty whenever PlayStation players contribute more than a certain percentage to the bottom line of a cross-platform game
Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney confirmed in testimony today that Sony is the only platform holder that requires this compensation for crossplay.
Sony also stipulates in the policy that publishers can’t transfer virtual currency to or from PlayStation, and that there must be a setting to disable all cross-platform interactions.
Let's be real here. None of these giant corporations are your friend. Sony has been proven time and again to be pretty damn anti consumer. You likely still wouldn't have crossplay right now if Sony wasn't forcing compensation.

not a single one can explain how cross-console play improves the PlayStation business
Not a focus on user experience, or gamers wanting to play with friends on other consoles. Crossplay benefits everyone in that regard. It's strictly not profitable for Sony. Therefore even though everyone was wanting it at the time, who cares.