PS5 vs Xbox vs PC debate thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2022 9:44 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
M1GOmigs wrote: So if this forecast is credible, you're saying Xbox will basically sell less consoles in 2022 vs 2021, while the PS5 will sell double what the XBox does...

... And somehow Sony fans have the notion that they're the underdogs in all of this Face With Tears Of Joy
I'm not saying it, the research company is Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: Sure, but can you play all those new games on a $599 PC, not to mention so many people would rather not play them in front of a computer screen
You sure could but just not at the fidelity of the XSX Winking Face

I mean, if this report is still valid. Half of the world's gaming population don't mind playing in front of a computer screen. That is a lot of people.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/3140 ... lay-on-pcs
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
M1GOmigs wrote: But the article you linked was talking about consoles, and not PCs.

So somehow they managed to completely ignore the fact that the XBox provides enormous value for gamers. Clickbait is as clickbait does.

That kind of weird bias is why Tweets like this exist:
The article talks about consoles and PC which is why they said if you have a capable PC, Xbox is less appealing. They did say Gamepass provides value as a plus for the Xbox side.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5319 posts
2295 upvotes
Toronto
jeffyjaixx wrote: The article talks about consoles and PC which is why they said if you have a capable PC, Xbox is less appealing. They did say Gamepass provides value as a plus for the Xbox side.
"IF you have a capable PC"....

There's the key thing. Again, we keep bringing PCs into a console argument, but the article headline is specifically "We put the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X head-to-head. "

If the argument is "which console is better for gamers?" then owning a PC really muddies the waters and in essence invalidates the whole article's argument. How is it a "head-to-head" comparison when they also add a "but PC can play GamePass"... Clickbait.

Not every console owner can afford a capable gaming PC, which relates to the Tweet by Jez Corden about gaming editors/journalists who have the ability to get free games and write off their expensive gaming rigs and not care that one console provides a VASTLY cheaper way to play a ton of games.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
@M1GOmigs here is @jeffyjaixx argument:

What's better, apple or oranges? The answer is : bananas

According to @jeffyjaixx you could also play new Game Pass games on $599 PC on low fidelity (320x240 @ 7fps Thinking Face)
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
8346 posts
8333 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: "IF you have a capable PC"....

There's the key thing. Again, we keep bringing PCs into a console argument, but the article headline is specifically "We put the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X head-to-head. "

If the argument is "which console is better for gamers?" then owning a PC really muddies the waters and in essence invalidates the whole article's argument. How is it a "head-to-head" comparison when they also add a "but PC can play GamePass"... Clickbait.

Not every console owner can afford a capable gaming PC, which relates to the Tweet by Jez Corden about gaming editors/journalists who have the ability to get free games and write off their expensive gaming rigs and not care that one console provides a VASTLY cheaper way to play a ton of games.
Or even want one. I do all my work from a laptop w/ a dock and 24" monitor and have no appetite to have another system.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5594 posts
5801 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: But the article you linked was talking about consoles, and not PCs.

So somehow they managed to completely ignore the fact that the XBox provides enormous value for gamers. Clickbait is as clickbait does.

That kind of weird bias is why Tweets like this exist:
Yes but that has always been the case with game journalism, movie reviews, music album reviews, so many other paid reviewers. He's not saying anything very original.
There needs to be an understanding that there is integrity from journos, or else why trust absolutely anyone for any opinion they give? We'd all be giving them cut eye and asking What's in it for you?
And if we look at who is posting the tweet, he works for Windows Central. Besides the obvious MS connection, why trust anything he says either? But we have to, at some point, trust what journalists like himself say until they're specifically caught being dishonest. Benefit of the doubt, which doesn't always work, but what's the alternative?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
Real journalism is almost dead, so we're beating on a dead horse here
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5319 posts
2295 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Yes but that has always been the case with game journalism, movie reviews, music album reviews, so many other paid reviewers. He's not saying anything very original.
There needs to be an understanding that there is integrity from journos, or else why trust absolutely anyone for any opinion they give? We'd all be giving them cut eye and asking What's in it for you?
And if we look at who is posting the tweet, he works for Windows Central. Besides the obvious MS connection, why trust anything he says either? But we have to, at some point, trust what journalists like himself say until they're specifically caught being dishonest. Benefit of the doubt, which doesn't always work, but what's the alternative?
You're missing my point and confounding it. The reason I linked this tweet is because it talks about the blind spot that some journalists have about the value proposition of Xbox GamePass. That was a response to Jeffy's clickbait article from Business Insider, and I'm not using the tweet as any sort of criticism of the journalistic process that you're talking about.

It's a response to an article that says that head-to-head, the PS5 is the best console for gamers, and XBox only excels at "media" (wut?). A clickbait article that completely glosses over the fact that the XBox is the console with an affordable way to play TONS of games while the PS5 doesn't. Gamers want to play games, no? Xbox GamePass has allowed Xbox console owners to play dozens of games this year for an annual subscription feel that costs the same as two retail priced games (without even considering deals, of which there are many.)

For a journalist or editor who gets free games, value is hardly ever a consideration. But for a gamer who has a finite amount of disposable income, it's a very important factor.

For someone to suggest that people interested in playing video games should go with the console that offers less games dollar-for-dollar seems off...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
For a journalist or editor who gets free games, value is hardly ever a consideration. But for a gamer who has a finite amount of disposable income, it's a very important factor.

For someone to suggest that people interested in playing video games should go with the console that offers less games dollar-for-dollar seems off...
Haven't purchased a video game in 3 years and don't intend to going forward either. That finite amount has been redirected towards other "priorities" >regardless, I'm sure I'm not in the minority, if anything it's the opposite.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
M1GOmigs wrote: "IF you have a capable PC"....

That's because Xbox has basically integrated itself into the PC world. We know a lot of people have PC's although may not be as optimal performance wise as a XSX for the price but nonetheless you are able to access Gamepass and play its library on the platform with a GTX1060 which according to Steam is the average GPU the PC gamer has. You cannot exclude it when Microsoft's whole strategy this gen has been streamlining its gaming content through Gamepass so that even last gen consoles and PC's like the Xbox One can access and play games through it.

The article is saying right now, the PS5 seems like the better buy because you have more next gen content developed for it that shows its potential hence more for the "hardcore" gamers. That and also because of PS's new controller technology that adds to the immersion factor. You have raytracing + 60fps exclusive games in Spiderman and Ratchet, you have more next gen exclusives in Demon's soul, Rift Apart, Returnal, Destruction all stars. You have access to the same content as Xbox in terms of multiplatform games.

It also adds that either way you will enjoy next gen gaming with either platform because of how much value Gamepass gives Xbox. So there's no "dig" really.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: @M1GOmigs here is @jeffyjaixx argument:

What's better, apple or oranges? The answer is : bananas

According to @jeffyjaixx you could also play new Game Pass games on $599 PC on low fidelity (320x240 @ 7fps Thinking Face)
Never said that either.

The PS5 and XSX are far more similar than an apple and orange but you know that Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Never said that either.
Thinking Face
CFRTim wrote:
Sure, but can you play all those new games on a $599 PC
jeffyjaixx wrote:
You sure could but just not at the fidelity of the XSX Winking Face
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
3388 posts
5067 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: So if this forecast is credible, you're saying Xbox will basically sell less consoles in 2022 vs 2021, while the PS5 will sell double what the XBox does...

... And somehow Sony fans have the notion that they're the underdogs in all of this Face With Tears Of Joy
Every single website and forecaster that claims to know sales figures or has posted sales numbers has been wrong so far.

There were already places saying PS5 was outselling Xbox 2 to 1. Sony had 17+ million and Xbox had 9m. It turned out that they were much closer together.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/01/11/estimates-indicate-xbox-series-xs-may-be-selling-nearly-as-well-as-ps5/?sh=174c7bed46e7
What’s wild is that because of Sony’s even more intense supply shortages, these figures would put the Xbox Series X and S within striking distance of the PS5. The last numbers we heard from Sony were that the PS5 had sold 13.4 million units as of October 2021, which is below the 13.9 million PS4s that were sold during the same period. We don’t have official numbers since then, but depending on supply, a few million more have likely been added. So if that’s say, Xbox Series X/S with at least 12 million sales (13, 14 million?), and PS5 maybe at 15-17 million, that’s definitely a different dynamic than we’ve seen in a very long time.

Sony has also had to revise its forecasts downward, saying that instead of shipping 22 million units in the fiscal year ending in March 2022, it will only be shipping 15 million instead. It predicts 22.6 million sales for the fiscal year beginning April 2022, though manufacturing partners have been skeptical of that.
Will PS5 continue to outsell Xbox, probably. Will it be 2 to 1, doubt it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: Thinking Face
You can build a capable PC to play newer games with a bit bigger budget, was more pointing out your farfetched resolution and fps metric.

https://techguided.com/gaming-pc-under-500/

This $500 gaming PC build comes with an Intel Core i3-10100f quad-core (eight-thread) processor, a GTX 1650 Super graphics card, 8GB of DDR4 memory, and a 480GB SSD. This combination will allow you to play most games on higher settings on a 1080P monitor. For non-demanding popular titles like Fortnite, League of Legends, Valorant, Rocket League, or older games like Skyrim, etc. this PC will max them out with a high framerate with no problems.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Caerus wrote: Every single website and forecaster that claims to know sales figures or has posted sales numbers has been wrong so far.

There were already places saying PS5 was outselling Xbox 2 to 1. Sony had 17+ million and Xbox had 9m. It turned out that they were much closer together.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/01/11/estimates-indicate-xbox-series-xs-may-be-selling-nearly-as-well-as-ps5/?sh=174c7bed46e7

Will PS5 continue to outsell Xbox, probably. Will it be 2 to 1, doubt it.
When the 13.4 million PS5 numbers came out, some analyst was saying Xbox sold over 8 million.

Now that new Xbox numbers are out at over 12 million, I suspect PS5 has also sold at least that much globally which would put it at 17.4 million.

We will find out when Sony announces them maybe in another month or so.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: You can build a capable PC to play newer games with a bit bigger budget, was more pointing out your farfetched resolution and fps metric.

https://techguided.com/gaming-pc-under-500/

This $500 gaming PC build comes with an Intel Core i3-10100f quad-core (eight-thread) processor, a GTX 1650 Super graphics card, 8GB of DDR4 memory, and a 480GB SSD. This combination will allow you to play most games on higher settings on a 1080P monitor. For non-demanding popular titles like Fortnite, League of Legends, Valorant, Rocket League, or older games like Skyrim, etc. this PC will max them out with a high framerate with no problems.
Are you kidding me right now, lol. I just had to build a new entry level gaming PC for my teenage son for Christmas, so I know exactly how much it costed me and the loops I had to go through because my kid thinks PC gaming is so much "cooler" than on consoles (he has both the Series X and PS5). His old one went to my younger son
Anyway, from your linked article 🤣:

*URGENT: Due to extreme hardware shortages caused by the pandemic, it is currently very difficult to find new graphics cards (and other hardware) at reasonable prices. As of right now, if you want to buil a new gaming PC, your best bet is to check the used market for a video card, or you can look at a pre-built gaming PC (see our recommendation below) instead of building your own system.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
8431 posts
1864 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: Are you kidding me right now, lol. I just had to build a new entry level gaming PC for my teenage son for Christmas, so I know exactly how much it costed me and the loops I had to go through because my kid thinks PC gaming is so much "cooler" than on consoles (he has both the Series X and PS5). His old one went to my younger son
Anyway, from your linked article 🤣:

*URGENT: Due to extreme hardware shortages caused by the pandemic, it is currently very difficult to find new graphics cards (and other hardware) at reasonable prices. As of right now, if you want to buil a new gaming PC, your best bet is to check the used market for a video card, or you can look at a pre-built gaming PC (see our recommendation below) instead of building your own system.
The PS5 and XSX are going through the same shortages... which is why it is so difficult to find one at MSRP and why some have to pay scalpers at a higher premium price.

From that build, the only expensive hardware would be the GPU, if you can snag a decent one at a good price during a sale or even used, it wouldn't break the bank.

Side note, your son has a PS5, XSX and a PC? Very lucky to have you as a dad 🤣 curious, how much did your new entry level gaming PC cost and what are the specs?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5594 posts
5801 upvotes
GTA
Much ado about nothing with the BI article. Within the first bunch of paragraphs they are clearly making the case that the Xbox is great, but as a console in the strictest sense of the word, they feel the PS5 is better. Their case is that owning an Xbox is less necessary because of GamePass. All Xbox games are playable on the PC and Xbone, making purchasing the console less necessary. Many here posit the same opinion, that Xbox is moving towards making consoles less necessary and selling a service. I'm not seeing a divergence of opinion here, other than the Xbox didn't "win" in one article found on the internet.
As far as journalistic integrity and bias Face With Rolling Eyes
Don't agree with the article, but do appreciate they are making a specific point and justifying it. Maybe it is too specific, but that's their slant, all articles have their slant and biases to an extent. Didn't anyone here write essays in university? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

At leat this isn't a random YouTube buffoon saying a console is definitely much worse because there's more heat coming out the back.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
9459 posts
2948 upvotes
@jeffyjaixx
i5- 10th generation ( barebone HP Z2 got a hell of a deal through work)
256GB NVMe M2 for OS + secondary 512 ADATA SU800
16GB DDR4-3200 (2x8GB)
Gigabite 1050Ti OC - my old video card
Redragon mechanical keyboard and mouse (BF deal from Amazon).

Around a grand by the end of it, but works just fine with the 27" Dell curved gaming monitor I got him 2 years ago (1080/144Hz).
I will not get butt raped by today's GPU prices, so he'll have to do for now. If he wants 4K and Ray tracing he can use the consoles.
My kids spend 95% of gaming time on PCs, they say consoles are for old people Face With Rolling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)