PC & Video Games

PS5 vs Xbox vs PC debate thread

  • Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2022 12:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
CFRTim wrote: @jeffyjaixx
My kids spend 95% of gaming time on PCs, they say consoles are for old people Face With Rolling Eyes
Yeah yeah, don't feel bad. Kids today wear Metallica, ACDC, and Nirvana t-shirts but have no freaking clue who they were besides cool bands before they were born.
Good on them for choosing PC in any case, but if they want to really appreciate better performance, let them buy all the parts themselves for upgrading. It will teach them the value of money and how far it goes. Then they might start seeing how the old man had a point
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: @jeffyjaixx
i5- 10th generation ( barebone HP Z2 got a hell of a deal through work)
256GB NVMe M2 for OS + secondary 512 ADATA SU800
16GB DDR4-3200 (2x8GB)
Gigabite 1050Ti OC - my old video card
Redragon mechanical keyboard and mouse (BF deal from Amazon).

Around a grand by the end of it, but works just fine with the 27" Dell curved gaming monitor I got him 2 years ago (1080/144Hz).
I will not get butt raped by today's GPU prices, so he'll have to do for now. If he wants 4K and Ray tracing he can use the consoles.
My kids spend 95% of gaming time on PCs, they say consoles are for old people Face With Rolling Eyes
Custom small form keyboards, Rgb's and high framerates are all the hype these days. Especially with social media streamers from Twitch, Facebook, YouTube all using and promoting PC to stream and advertising for their endorsements. Young people these days want to follow all the clout.

Consoles are definitely much simpler and plug and play which may be too "boring" for the younger crowd Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Yeah yeah, don't feel bad. Kids today wear Metallica, ACDC, and Nirvana t-shirts but have no freaking clue who they were besides cool bands before they were born.
Good on them for choosing PC in any case, but if they want to really appreciate better performance, let them buy all the parts themselves for upgrading. It will teach them the value of money and how far it goes. Then they might start seeing how the old man had a point
Yup. already told my oldest who just turned 14 to start saving. I will match his savings for his next built, but he has to put in some effort.
Like @jeffyjaixx says, social media platforms do a good job endorsing for this generation. My wife will lose her shit next time the 7 years old says RTX or 3080Ti at the dinner table
With them growing up I always suggested they play video games on PC rather than consoles, I figured they could get some other skills this way that would benefit them down the road (like typing for example) so I take responsibility for that
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10007 posts
4390 upvotes
Bosman's Delayed Input on Microsoft's Activision/Blizzard acquisition:

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Microsoft grew their first party studios staff by 6x in acquiring Bethesda and Activision.

Classic case of if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em Face With Tears Of Joy



Image
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
jeffyjaixx wrote: Microsoft grew their first party studios staff by 6x in acquiring Bethesda and Activision.

Classic case of if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em Face With Tears Of Joy



Image
I know there's a separate thread on the Activision issues, but I was just reading that the Raven QA team announced their intention to unionize. Very interesting considering MS is not a unionized company, and the QA team didn't flinch knowing that Activision had been purchased by Microsoft. Let's see how this carries forward, like whether MS will appease their issues related to firings and mistreatment. This might be a glimpse into how MS will run Activision moving forward.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CFRTim wrote: Man some people have way to much free time on their hands Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye

@jeffyjaixx and @BernardRyder jeez, looks like you twos are a little hurt 🤣
Hardly, I just helped my fiancee buy 3 years of XBL gold trick to convert to GPU and she's subscribed till 2025 so this is beneficial for us Winking Face

I'll be doing the same as soon as mine expires in Feb.

Means more coop games we can play together on PC but I just find it amusing how exponentially fast MS is growing their first party studios this past 1-2 years through just buying 2 major publishers Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 28, 2006
8417 posts
1863 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Who said most don't want to game in front of a computer screen? There's more and more PC gamers every year it seems. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
jeffyjaixx wrote: Who said most don't want to game in front of a computer screen? There's more and more PC gamers every year it seems. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
I don't, my 2 kids say otherwise
jeffyjaixx wrote: Hardly, I just helped my fiancee buy 3 years of XBL gold trick to convert to GPU and she's subscribed till 2025 so this is beneficial for us Winking Face

I'll be doing the same as soon as mine expires in Feb.

Means more coop games we can play together on PC but I just find it amusing how exponentially fast MS is growing their first party studios this past 1-2 years through just buying 2 major publishers Face With Tears Of Joy
You can share the same GPU within the household/family.
Did you use the Turkish VPN trick, how much was it all in these days. I assume still no tax on CDKeys purchase. There was not tax last time I bought 12mths Live Gold from Costco
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2012
3381 posts
5052 upvotes
Pretty much spot on, and covers a lot of the things I've been talking about here and in the AB thread.

Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
CFRTim wrote: Man some people have way to much free time on their hands Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye

@jeffyjaixx and @BernardRyder jeez, looks like you twos are a little hurt 🤣
Must be an Xbox guy that made it. Ran out of decent games and used their leisure time to make a goofy vid instead Face With Stuck-out Tongue

I kid, I kid... Face With Tears Of Joy
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5315 posts
2289 upvotes
Toronto
Caerus wrote: Pretty much spot on, and covers a lot of the things I've been talking about here and in the AB thread.

Saw this on Twitter and he brings up a good point.

Here's the TL;DR for those who don't watch the YouTube:

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5315 posts
2289 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: I know there's a separate thread on the Activision issues, but I was just reading that the Raven QA team announced their intention to unionize. Very interesting considering MS is not a unionized company, and the QA team didn't flinch knowing that Activision had been purchased by Microsoft. Let's see how this carries forward, like whether MS will appease their issues related to firings and mistreatment. This might be a glimpse into how MS will run Activision moving forward.
Interesting you post this here instead of in the acquisition thread, as if you've got a bigger agenda or something Thinking Face...

The MS acquisition doesn't even finalize until summer 2023 so there's literally nothing they can do at Activision to change the culture. Raven and the other teams looking to unionize won't just drop their plans because there's a new sheriff in town, and it still benefits them at least in the short term to protect their own interests while the current leadership is still in place.

But how this relates to PS5 vs Xbox is beyond me...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: Saw this on Twitter and he brings up a good point.

Here's the TL;DR for those who don't watch the YouTube:

Oh my God why didn't we see it in these simplified black and white terms this whole time? Sony is the Big Bad, MS has always been the benevolent one Face With Tears Of Joy I especially like the term 'some' Activision games (like they purchased BluePoint or something similarly small) and completely forgetting to mention Bethesda games that were cross platform such as the entire Fallout series, Wolfenstein, Doom... Winking Face Very cheeky little [email protected] he sent out

I can see from this how some Xbox supporters will gladly sell (and buy) that silly narrative, but surely some of you see it as something more complex than that. I'm actually curious how many of you think this is just a big company simply jostling for position this gen.
Sony is no saint, but putting our console biases aside in a versus/debate thread, someone else here must see that this move is potentially more far reaching for all of us as gamers Upside-down Face
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5315 posts
2289 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Oh my God why didn't we see it in these simplified black and white terms this whole time? Sony is the Big Bad, MS has always been the benevolent one Face With Tears Of Joy I especially like the term 'some' Activision games (like they purchased BluePoint or something similarly small) and completely forgetting to mention Bethesda games that were cross platform such as the entire Fallout series, Wolfenstein, Doom... Winking Face Very cheeky little [email protected] he sent out

I can see from this how some Xbox supporters will gladly sell (and buy) that silly narrative, but surely some of you see it as something more complex than that. I'm actually curious how many of you think this is just a big company simply jostling for position this gen.
Sony is no saint, but putting our console biases aside in a versus/debate thread, someone else here must see that this move is potentially more far reaching for all of us as gamers Upside-down Face
If you look beyond that initial tweet to his subsequent ones he's saying neither is good or bad (yet) but there is a distortion of facts that is making it out like MS is the big bad when they are both just companies.



Nobody here is saying MS is a benevolent Saint but y'all are really white knighting for PS like they owe you something here
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5578 posts
5797 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: Interesting you post this here instead of in the acquisition thread, as if you've got a bigger agenda or something Thinking Face...

The MS acquisition doesn't even finalize until summer 2023 so there's literally nothing they can do at Activision to change the culture. Raven and the other teams looking to unionize won't just drop their plans because there's a new sheriff in town, and it still benefits them at least in the short term to protect their own interests while the current leadership is still in place.

But how this relates to PS5 vs Xbox is beyond me...
Because if they handle it quickly it's actually a plus for Microsoft and Activision employees? I've said it in the other thread, between Kotick and MS, Activision employees probably got a better boss and employer out if this acquisition.
I can separate out my biases to acknowledge positives on both sides, I'm not a screechy Fanboy who pops cutesy memes into every post like a recently banned user, I attempt to Adult even when talking about video games 🤨
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 1, 2004
9446 posts
2934 upvotes
Yup, they're both companies and one is not more of a "saint or evil" than the other. Anyone using that narrative, it's just out of ideas in a vs. thread and there is a word for them that comes to mind. Personally, I'm looking forward to Sony's next move that will keep the competition going
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5315 posts
2289 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Because if they handle it quickly it's actually a plus for Microsoft and Activision employees? I've said it in the other thread, between Kotick and MS, Activision employees probably got a better boss and employer out if this acquisition.
I can separate out my biases to acknowledge positives on both sides, I'm not a screechy Fanboy who pops cutesy memes into every post like a recently banned user, I attempt to Adult even when talking about video games 🤨
Ok but why this thread specifically? You're an adult who likes to argue... Even you must see the enormous straw man you've built in this thread when there's a perfectly good discussion thread about the actual topic you brought up.

TOPIC: Xbox vs PS console war

Your argument: Activision is embroiled in legal issues surrounding harrassment and now MS has purchased them so therefore...

What?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1

Top