Shopping Discussion

PSA: Buyer beware: Little recourse from PayPal for online shoppers stuck with counterfeit goods

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 7:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22684 posts
17709 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

PSA: Buyer beware: Little recourse from PayPal for online shoppers stuck with counterfeit goods

Buyer beware: Little recourse for online shoppers stuck with counterfeit goods
PayPal's purchase protection little help when it comes to bogus items, buyers say... a loophole in the PayPal system has allowed vendors to exploit unsuspecting buyers with a bait-and-switch scheme involving the delivery of low-quality or counterfeit merchandise... in order to receive a full refund PayPal would first have to confirm the item had been returned to the original vendor [in China.]...

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre recommends using a credit card with basic purchase protection benefits whenever online shopping.
I realize many RFDers are aware of this issue. I'm posting this for the benefit of those who may not appreciate the difference between PayPal's and most credit credit cards' policies.
veni, vidi, Visa
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3086 posts
1100 upvotes
Ottawa
With a credit card chargeback, couldn't your bank also require you to ship the item back at cost, as part of the resolution?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16728 posts
14071 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
@bylo
Good PSA

Lol, but gotta laugh
China & cheap quality knock offs / counterfeit goods
Who would have thunk eh ?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13368 posts
8049 upvotes
Markham
The way I look at it...assume anything you buy via Ebay is counterfeit or not genuine. If you can't inspect the goods, then you takes your chances - sometimes you win, many times you don't.

Unfortunately there are dumb ppl who think they can buy a brand new Canada Goose coat (example) for $100 and think they're getting the real deal and then when they don't they want to complain.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22684 posts
17709 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Akitakara wrote: With a credit card chargeback, couldn't your bank also require you to ship the item back at cost, as part of the resolution?
At least with CCs there's a 1-800 number to call and discuss the issue with a live human, an opportunity to escalate, etc. While I don't have any direct experience with chargebacks on counterfeit goods (but I do with other chargeback situations) I'd expect my bank would be more understanding of the cost of returning the item than PayPal's algorithm-driven robots.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3086 posts
1100 upvotes
Ottawa
bylo wrote: At least with CCs there's a 1-800 number to call and discuss the issue with a live human, an opportunity to escalate, etc. While I don't have any direct experience with chargebacks on counterfeit goods (but I do with other chargeback situations) I'd expect my bank would be more understanding of the cost of returning the item than PayPal's algorithm-driven robots.
Ah that makes sense. Forgot about the fact that it's hard to reach a human with PayPal
Feb 3, 2019
208 posts
142 upvotes
GTA
I dealt with PayPal for a counterfeit good. This was a few years ago, but once I provided the tracking number, I was refunded for the item. PayPal also provided a credit for the shipping. Item was shipped back to the USA but it still ended up being quite expensive as I had to ship through FedEx and had to be delivered in a few business days.

Again, this was a few years ago, back when you could still get a hold of a human by calling PayPal
Feb 22, 2017
342 posts
239 upvotes
Ever since I was burned by a fly by night Store via PayPal where I won the dispute but they were able to drain there account pre-resolution (not sure if I was just unlucky or the fact that it was like the early 2000s)
I’ve always paid via credit card via PayPal that way whenever I need to dispute PayPal I’ll leave the charge back on the table, I’d rather deal with the repercussions of too many chargebacks on my credit card but have AMEX or Visa duke it out with PayPal than me
Oct 10, 2020
722 posts
454 upvotes
Can "chargeback" be done against Paypal? Especially if the transaction is considered a "cash advance".
Dec 8, 2009
599 posts
612 upvotes
HiddenEmailer wrote: Ever since I was burned by a fly by night Store via PayPal where I won the dispute but they were able to drain there account pre-resolution (not sure if I was just unlucky or the fact that it was like the early 2000s)
I’ve always paid via credit card via PayPal that way whenever I need to dispute PayPal I’ll leave the charge back on the table, I’d rather deal with the repercussions of too many chargebacks on my credit card but have AMEX or Visa duke it out with PayPal than me
This is the smart way to do it. You have PayPal to help with a resolution first and if that doesn't work out you can still go to your CC company.
Feb 22, 2017
342 posts
239 upvotes
TempletonPeck wrote: This is the smart way to do it. You have PayPal to help with a resolution first and if that doesn't work out you can still go to your CC company.
Exactly, unfortunately I am probably many others had to learn the hard way at least once.