Shopping Discussion

PSA: Do not buy anything from Bed Bath & Beyond's website using Paypal. You'll receive store credit if a return is made.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2019 10:47 am
May 1, 2008
77 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
So I called Paypal, they never receive the refund order. i called BBB back and they now admit they never sent the refund beecause they don't know how to apply their own 20% off coupon. They have a policy that refund to paypal can take 2 weeks so they have until Feb 13th to clear this refund. The item has been sitting at my home unopened for 1 week already. This is stupid and the customer service rep said there is nothing she cannot do and they don't put a rush with refund.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Just wanted to share my experience on a return to Carter's Oshkosh B&M, on an online purchse using PayPal...there was no issues at all.
Cashier asked which credit card was used in PayPal and refunded it back to that card.

Is it really that hard for BBB and Toys R Us?
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
Just an update to this post. I ended up buy something online for about $40 over the value of the store credit I was issued, so I ended up having to pay the remaining amount on my credit card (made sure not to use Paypal this time). I ended up returning the item last night, and instead of refunding $40 to my credit and then giving me store credit for the rest, they put the full refund on my credit card. The CSR didn't even think twice. She looked at my receipt, saw that I used a credit card, and put the full refund back on it.

Looks like a dodged a bullet. I didn't know how to spend $150 at BBB, since most of the stuff I want is excluded from coupon use, and I hate paying full price for things. I usually wait for sales or coupons.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
fudge_u wrote: Looks like a dodged a bullet. I didn't know how to spend $150 at BBB, since most of the stuff I want is excluded from coupon use, and I hate paying full price for things. I usually wait for sales or coupons.
I tend to agree, with respect to BB&B. I've felt it's gone downmarket the last couple of years; feels like they sell a lot of gimmicky Wal-Mart-level crap now. And the one in Richmond Hill is particularly bad right now, it feels like a big box version of a flea market.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
Just to clarify - we're talking about online orders returned to the store, correct? Had a similar situation a while ago with Garage. Wife ordered some stuff online, used PayPal, store would only give merch credit. They said that we would need to ship it back to the online returns centre in Mississauga and that they would be able to put it back on PayPal no problem; however, the return shipment would be at our expense. Really nice manager in store called Customer Service on our behalf and they shipped it through their internal courier service free of charge. Got our PayPal refund about a week later. They explained this by stating that their online system is nation-wide, whereas their physical stores use province-specific databases and that their computer in store only sees payment method* with no other details.

*This is why they'd be able to refund to a credit card in store, even if they don't have the last 4 digits etc.

Are there any stores that are unwilling/unable to provide a PayPal refund even after returning your item to their online returns centre?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
2053 posts
2032 upvotes
Winnipeg
fudge_u wrote: Just an update to this post. I ended up buy something online for about $40 over the value of the store credit I was issued, so I ended up having to pay the remaining amount on my credit card (made sure not to use Paypal this time). I ended up returning the item last night, and instead of refunding $40 to my credit and then giving me store credit for the rest, they put the full refund on my credit card. The CSR didn't even think twice. She looked at my receipt, saw that I used a credit card, and put the full refund back on it.

Looks like a dodged a bullet. I didn't know how to spend $150 at BBB, since most of the stuff I want is excluded from coupon use, and I hate paying full price for things. I usually wait for sales or coupons.
Nice work around. Glad it worked out for you OP.

Interesting thread. I've used PayPal on occasion when buying from a retailer I don't use a lot, and I don't care to create an account with them. But now I'm realizing that introducing that 3rd party to the transaction is likely adding a layer of fees (to the retailer of course, which ultimately gets passed down to the consumer) and possible return complications. Food for thought.

Incidentally, I bought a purse from The Bay.com on Dec 26, using PayPal and when the price went down $20 a week later, called them to ask for a price adjustment. (Just made it inside their teeny, tiny 7-day price adjustment window). 6 weeks later I hadn't heard back so I was gearing up to make the next call, when suddenly I saw the PayPal refund notice. Based on their stated policy, I was expecting an unwanted Bay gift card, so I was pleasantly surprised.

"If you purchased an item using PayPal and are returning it via Canada Post, your PayPal account will be credited. For any price adjustments via PayPal, you will receive the adjusted amount on a Hudson’s Bay gift card. As our stores do not accept PayPal as tender, any PayPal purchases returned in store will be refunded as cash."
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2008
2025 posts
1032 upvotes
GTA
lululemon and PayPal.. goes back to your debit or credit...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: So I found out the hard way today. I purchased something in the amount of $156.42(tax included) off the Bed Bath & Beyond website during the holidays, and decided to return it today. While the CSR was initiating the return, she informed me I would not be refunded to the original payment source. Instead, because I used Paypal to pay for the item, she indicated to me that they could only refund me with store credit. I was pretty upset about this, because what am I going to do with $156.42 store credit at Bed Bath & Beyond??? She indicated to me that they do mention it on their website, but I didn't recall seeing anything like that during the checkout process when I placed the order(not that I was looking for it). In case, I wanted to give the RFD community a heads up about this idiotic return process.

As per their site:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/s ... asyReturns

That's exactly why PayPal offers free returns (https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping). You need to sign up to the program, then you can use the post or any ground courrier to return your purchase (up to $30). (I personally prefer Fedex Ground because they offer free pick-up to the address associated with your FedEx account.)
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
emilio911 wrote: That's exactly why PayPal offers free returns (https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/returnshipping). You need to sign up to the program, then you can use the post or any ground courrier to return your purchase (up to $30). (I personally prefer Fedex Ground because they offer free pick-up to the address associated with your FedEx account.)
Umm... I'm not sure you understand what happened. Regardless of PayPal's free returns, BBB would have still only refunded me store credit. As per their return policy:
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: Umm... I'm not sure you understand what happened. Regardless of PayPal's free returns, BBB would have still only refunded me store credit. As per their return policy:
Even if returned by mail/courrier? Holly ****!

Then that's a total scam! I would have made a Chargeback with my credit card stating that this return policy was not clearly indicated in the checkout process (refer to VISA or MasterCard Chargeback guides).

NOTE: (Paypal buyer's protection is worthless in this situation /// Always use a credit card with Paypal for situations like this ... and many other types of situation!).
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
emilio911 wrote: Even if returned by mail/courrier? Holly ****!

Then that's a total scam! I would have made a Chargeback with my credit card stating that this return policy was not clearly indicated in the checkout process (refer to VISA or MasterCard Chargeback guides).

NOTE: (Paypal buyer's protection is worthless in this situation /// Always use a credit card with Paypal for situations like this ... and many other types of situation!).
I found a loophole. Purchase something more than the value of the store credit so you'll have to pay for the difference with a credit card, and then return it. The entire refund will be issued to your credit card.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Does the same shit happen when you use CC online for BBB?? If sooo... CA$H is KING. Guess some biznesses still want you to use the brick & mortars. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2013
1328 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
Data point: I ordered and returned something last week.
Item was shipped from and returned to their Richmond Hill location.
Received refund after a few days to my PayPal.

(I know this thread is ancient, sorry for necroposting)
Dec 26, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
In case anyone is reading this in 2019 and beyond, I returned an online order to a brick-and-mortar BB&B store today and I was refunded back on my PayPal account. They just had to look up my PayPal number from the order information. They must’ve changed their policies since OP posted. There is also no mention of the PayPal inconsistencies on their official returns page. Hooray!
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
AshleyH4448 wrote: In case anyone is reading this in 2019 and beyond, I returned an online order to a brick-and-mortar BB&B store today and I was refunded back on my PayPal account. They just had to look up my PayPal number from the order information. They must’ve changed their policies since OP posted. There is also no mention of the PayPal inconsistencies on their official returns page. Hooray!
Good to know... I still make sure I use my credit card whenever I buy from them
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
another thing to note about the return policy it use to be unlimited they changed it to 180 days
Nov 26, 2015
887 posts
671 upvotes
Ontario
AshleyH4448 wrote: In case anyone is reading this in 2019 and beyond, I returned an online order to a brick-and-mortar BB&B store today and I was refunded back on my PayPal account. They just had to look up my PayPal number from the order information. They must’ve changed their policies since OP posted. There is also no mention of the PayPal inconsistencies on their official returns page. Hooray!
This would be surprising at this point in time as it is worst to use paypal then before. It makes sense now for retailers to refund to store credit since it will not cost them anything. However if refunded to paypal, they would lose about 3% each time due to paypal not refunding fees on refunds anymore. So for OP original amount of about $156, the store would lost about $5 each time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)