• Apr 26th, 2020 5:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3230 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto

PSA: Don't buy any cheese from Silani Sweet Cheese

I bought a couple of Silani Cheese mozzarella balls end of 2019, and both grew mold while in my fridge, one of them not even opened yet. Expiry date is Dec 2020. Their QC department replied to my email once and then never responded again.

I also just found that the company lost their Safe Food for Canadians license back in Feb 2020
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the- ... 2043186398

Posting this to let everyone know not to buy any products from this company for selling contaminated products, and not doing anything to fix the issue.
Images
  • IMG_20200121_205942.jpg
  • IMG_20200121_205934.jpg
  • IMG_20200121_205927.jpg
Telus: $45 25GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
Pyro wrote: I bought a couple of Silani Cheese mozzarella balls end of 2019, and both grew mold while in my fridge, one of them not even opened yet. Expiry date is Dec 2020. Their QC department replied to my email once and then never responded again.

I also just found that the company lost their Safe Food for Canadians license back in Feb 2020
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/about-the- ... 2043186398

Posting this to let everyone know not to buy any products from this company for selling contaminated products, and not doing anything to fix the issue.
thanks for the info
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20756 posts
4874 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Someone at Silani is not doing their job. A Best Before Date of 2020 Dec 04? Doubt cheese have a shelf life that long.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3230 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote: Someone at Silani is not doing their job. A Best Before Date of 2020 Dec 04? Doubt cheese have a shelf life that long.
You're probably right but I only had the cheese in my fridge less than a month before the mold grew
Telus: $45 25GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1503 posts
1273 upvotes
Ottawa
sandikosh wrote: Someone at Silani is not doing their job. A Best Before Date of 2020 Dec 04? Doubt cheese have a shelf life that long.
Definitely not mozza. An unopened pack of fresh mozza like this should really be eaten within a month. Once opened, it should probably be gone within the week.

Hard cheeses can be pushed to something like 6 months unopened, but should really be eaten within a few months at most.

Their expiration date was way off base.
May 28, 2012
11220 posts
3420 upvotes
Saskatoon
If the package isn't fully vacuum sealed i.e. gets a tiny hole, then it allows in air which can cause it to go mouldy. That's why it's important to make sure your cheese packages are tightly sealed before buying.

I've had cheese that was several months expired but was perfectly fine because it was sealed and always refrigerated properly. That's a really long expiry for that type of cheese, probably a mistake but once it's opened, you can no longer expect it to last even a fraction of that time.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9506 posts
3795 upvotes
Toronto
another reason not to buy Silani...inferior low quality cheese. weird texture.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1641 posts
1051 upvotes
I've had the same experience as OP with Silani cheeses. They always develop moldy spots within a few weeks of purchase. That never happens when I buy Black Diamond, Kraft, or any other major brand.

If you catch the spots early, just cut around them and use the rest of the cheese, but it's still a waste. It may go on sale regularly, it's not a good price if you have to discard some of it.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4726 posts
1396 upvotes
0 downvotes
oh man we buy that cheese to use when we make pizzas, oh I guess I will stop buying it now. going to give Kraft or Black Diamond a shot now.
Hi
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5057 posts
2863 upvotes
Toronto
In all likelihood, someone mixed up month and date - 12-04-20 04-12-20
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5798 posts
1117 upvotes
Toronto
Vacuum packed ripened mozzarella certainly does have a long best before date...almost as long as sealed feta in brine.

This was a pin hole in the packaging.

For Silani in general, I've been banging the drum not to buy them for over 15 years since they decided to be the bottom shelf deli cheese category. Early 2000 and before they had more or less quality as Tre Stelle.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6146 posts
3104 upvotes
Vancouver
Dynatos wrote: Definitely not mozza. An unopened pack of fresh mozza like this should really be eaten within a month. Once opened, it should probably be gone within the week.

Hard cheeses can be pushed to something like 6 months unopened, but should really be eaten within a few months at most.

Their expiration date was way off base.
Looks like they do have long expiry dates. But you also get E Coli

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recal ... 1697684229

Notification - Silani brand Mozzarella Ball recalled due to generic E. coli

Silani Mozzarella Ball 260 g 0 65052 51369 4 Best Before: 2021.01.08
Lot# 32435
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1503 posts
1273 upvotes
Ottawa
notenoughsleep wrote: Looks like they do have long expiry dates. But you also get E Coli

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/food-recal ... 1697684229

Notification - Silani brand Mozzarella Ball recalled due to generic E. coli

Silani Mozzarella Ball 260 g 0 65052 51369 4 Best Before: 2021.01.08
Lot# 32435
Hah.

I'm not surprised. It's a high moisture soft cheese. They don't (or shouldn't) have a long shelf life.

It's like putting a year expiration timeline on cottage cheese or yogurt. Fresh mozza really isn't much longer shelf life than pasteurized fresh milk.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12556 posts
7296 upvotes
Markham
Open it up, cut off the bad part or cut off all around and make a pizza with it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3313 posts
1971 upvotes
GVRD
Silani is terrible. It's just a cheap processed cheese.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1503 posts
1273 upvotes
Ottawa
gr8dlr wrote: Open it up, cut off the bad part or cut off all around and make a pizza with it.
That's generally not a great idea with soft fresh cheeses. The mold can spread a lot further a lot quicker, and not be visible, in soft cheeses like mozza. Unlike harder cheeses, mold isn't integral in the formation of fresh soft cheeses either. If you see mould in mozza, ricotta, etc throw it out.

Hard cheese is a different matter entirely. Cut an inch or so past the visible mold to get rid of any tendrils and eat away.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12556 posts
7296 upvotes
Markham
Dynatos wrote: That's generally not a great idea with soft fresh cheeses. The mold can spread a lot further a lot quicker, and not be visible, in soft cheeses like mozza. Unlike harder cheeses, mold isn't integral in the formation of fresh soft cheeses either. If you see mould in mozza, ricotta, etc throw it out.

Hard cheese is a different matter entirely. Cut an inch or so past the visible mold to get rid of any tendrils and eat away.
Don't think this is "soft fresh cheese" - the kind I find packed in brine. I think it's more regular processed mozzarella.

Regardless, everyone makes their own choices of whether it's safe or not.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45196 posts
8225 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Dynatos wrote: That's generally not a great idea with soft fresh cheeses. The mold can spread a lot further a lot quicker, and not be visible, in soft cheeses like mozza. Unlike harder cheeses, mold isn't integral in the formation of fresh soft cheeses either. If you see mould in mozza, ricotta, etc throw it out.

If you ever had this silani cheese... its crap. Soooo fake.
I think its mostly processed cheese in the shape of a mozerella ball.

Taste funny too.
Imagine getting white kraft singles. Rolling it into a balll... with maybe 15% of that ball from a mozzarella cheese brick from cracker barrel.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5798 posts
1117 upvotes
Toronto
Silani mozzarella in OP is semi-soft ripened cheese, not fresh as posted a few times.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.