Computers & Electronics

PSA: Google has mass "expired" a large chunk of people's Google Play Balance a few days ago

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 1:35 pm
[OP]
Dec 31, 2013
266 posts
209 upvotes
Toronto

PSA: Google has mass "expired" a large chunk of people's Google Play Balance a few days ago

Google has silently updated their terms of service and have wiped out promotional balances that were obtained more than a year ago (all without notice). Before you would be able to extend the expiry date of your whole balance by one year by just taking a survey in the Rewards app or spending some of your credits. Now they got rid of this and changed it to -> specific credits will expire one year after they were credited and the expiry will not extend by any means. As well, balances that you have been saving and extending through the old policy that are more than a year old are being "expired" RIGHT NOW. If you have 1+ year old balances, SPEND THEM NOW or they will be gone within the next few days. If you are already affected, then there is nothing you can do unfortunately. Customer service will not reinstate these "expired" balances because the higher up thief/thieves at Google who decided to suddenly "expire" these credits told them not to.

Check your balance. Spend them QUICK if you haven't been affected yet. If you have been affected, there is nothing you can do unfortunately. I have lost $101 from my balance 3-5 days ago without notice (only noticed when I opened the Google Rewards app).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/commen ... y_date_63/
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/11/0 ... -expiring/
https://slickdeals.net/f/11111119-psa-g ... ommentsBox
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2304 posts
1503 upvotes
North Vancouver
Google does evil.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21687 posts
26227 upvotes
This is why you must spend your promo balances within a reasonable timeframe.

Regardless of service provider.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28073 posts
13651 upvotes
I'm more impressed that you sat on $100 for over a year.

Someone obviously doesn't play p2w games....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1374 posts
810 upvotes
Toronto
Um it was always 1 year from earning, it even says that when you're awarded the balance, they just never particularly enforced it.
Dec 24, 2004
546 posts
80 upvotes
Windsor
Best ways to spend a large balance?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4956 posts
2370 upvotes
GTA
Grimspoon wrote: Best ways to spend a large balance?
Movies, music. Google One subscription if you're into that.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1733 posts
457 upvotes
Crap! I lost about $10. Oh well, I never knew what to spend it on anyway.
Jul 14, 2014
314 posts
317 upvotes
There might be a way for you to reclaim some of the lost Google Play credit. This thread is fairly active, you can refer to it for more detail

https://support.google.com/googleplay/t ... d=21341994

Basically, you can open a Google support ticket. For me, they escalated it to their team that deals with these rewards and they gave me a $20 credit for the "inconvenience". Still a bummer compared to the $50 I lost but better than nothing.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20378 posts
5814 upvotes
GTA
I just got to 28 bucks. Got one year of Google One 100gb storage space. At least I won't lose any credits, couldn't find anything else to get at the time.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2009
1808 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
I remember you could purchase digital things like books and then refund it right away. It'll reset the expiration date of your Google Play balance, but this was >5 years
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5605 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Cheesy wrote: There might be a way for you to reclaim some of the lost Google Play credit. This thread is fairly active, you can refer to it for more detail

https://support.google.com/googleplay/t ... d=21341994

Basically, you can open a Google support ticket. For me, they escalated it to their team that deals with these rewards and they gave me a $20 credit for the "inconvenience". Still a bummer compared to the $50 I lost but better than nothing.
Thanks I am going to try... Didn't lose as much as you though
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3414 posts
867 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I've been doing the surveys for over a year. i spend $2-$5 every so often on an app or something. i currently have a balance of $33.

I always knew there was a 1 year expiry but i assumed that meant any single reward transaction would expire in 1 year. so if i kept spending in small bit regularly it should spend those oldest rewards first.

In google play menu->payment methods it shows i have a balance of $33.24 and "Expiring: $33.25 promotion. Deduction on 2019-12-18"

So they're going to expire my whole balance? i know for a fact i've earned some of it last night.

So what usefull things can i buy with my $33 before it expires? Are there one time paid apps that everyone says are useful. i'll have to go research.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2544 posts
1098 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote: I've been doing the surveys for over a year. i spend $2-$5 every so often on an app or something. i currently have a balance of $33.

I always knew there was a 1 year expiry but i assumed that meant any single reward transaction would expire in 1 year. so if i kept spending in small bit regularly it should spend those oldest rewards first.

In google play menu->payment methods it shows i have a balance of $33.24 and "Expiring: $33.25 promotion. Deduction on 2019-12-18"

So they're going to expire my whole balance? i know for a fact i've earned some of it last night.

So what usefull things can i buy with my $33 before it expires? Are there one time paid apps that everyone says are useful. i'll have to go research.
I've bought a white noise app (not very useful for me but I needed to spend some of my Google Play money), Root Explorer (like Explorer on Windows), BS Player (media player app), Moon+ Reader (to read comic books; cbr files), and some games (7th Guest, some racing car game, etc).

I think if you have spare credits maybe just buy a few games if you can't find any apps.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5605 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Kevinck wrote: I've been doing the surveys for over a year. i spend $2-$5 every so often on an app or something. i currently have a balance of $33.

It will slowly expire now by individual credit expiry dates. Thats what I was told when I chatted last night. I did get all my 'lost' money back though.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3414 posts
867 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
killoverme wrote: It will slowly expire now by individual credit expiry dates. Thats what I was told when I chatted last night. I did get all my 'lost' money back though.
So i went ahead and purchased an app for $5. now when i check my balance it says
Google Play Balance: $28.24
Expiring: $28.24 promotion
Deduction on 2020-05-05

So i would say i'm not affected by this mass expiry, just the normal terms of service. it is just really bad wording. Seems like it is trying to tell me that *some* portion of my $25.37 will expire on that date, but it doesn't tell me the portion. Assuming i spend that bit it will update the dat to show when the next bit would expire.

Geuss i don't need to spend it all now. thanks.