• May 6th, 2018 8:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8498 upvotes
GTHA

[PSA] Google rebrands all its payment solutions as “Google Pay”

After Google Checkout, Google Wallet, Android Pay, and Google Tez, there's now Google Pay.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01 ... oogle-pay/

Google Pay will be a one-stop shop for all your Google Payment needs: NFC smartphone payments, P2P transfers, and Web payments. Google's payment solution site has already clicked over to the new branding, and we'd guess a rebrand of the Android Pay app won't be far behind. The branding should start popping up on store credit card machines, too.

GooglePay_Lockup.max-1000x1000-800x483.png
7 replies
Jan 5, 2018
207 posts
102 upvotes
Google Wallet is interesting. It doesn't seem to be very popular despite it allowing you to send money to family/friends for free. A lot/most (?) accounts now allow for free Interac eTransfer, which I feel is what most people use, but even back in the days when you had to pay for eTransfers, it seemed like that was still more popular.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8498 upvotes
GTHA
JOHN GRUBER posted...

This makes sense. Or better said, I don’t think Android Pay ever made sense as a brand from Google’s perspective. “Google Pay” works as a brand anywhere, on any device.

It seems to me that Google is stepping away from promoting Android as a brand, period. Take a look at the web page for the Pixel 2 phones and search for “Android”. I see one match, and it’s a small print footnote.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8103 posts
957 upvotes
That's what I been calling it all along anyway.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8103 posts
957 upvotes
Ugh... such an opportunity missed. If they also came out with GoogleCoin cryptocurrency their stock would be worth over $2 trillion by now.
Money Smarts Blog wrote:
Nov 29th, 2010 11:18 am
I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16920 posts
2644 upvotes
Toronto
It was just installed on my phone with the most recent update, but Android pay didn't get removed. I now have them both. Weird.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?