Travel

PSA: Government of Canada Official Global Travel Advisory

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 12:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15005 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

PSA: Government of Canada Official Global Travel Advisory

Government of Canada Official Global Travel Advisory

TL;DR as of 21May "Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice."

This could be helpful in making the case for refunds on travel bookings like flights, hotels, cruises, packages, etc. It could also be helpful in making travel insurance related claims, CC charge backs and the like.
veni, vidi, Visa
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15116 posts
12197 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya the recent update ...
No real news since first issued in March

Goes hand in hand with this document
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health- ... otices/221

Doesn’t show any end date ... cuz that’s not what these docs do

So unsure how it would be of much benefit for anyone with booking dates / reservations still a long ways off

People therefore still at the mercy of whatever Co they have their reservation with ... until the date comes & then goes
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15005 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: So unsure how it would be of much benefit for anyone with booking dates / reservations still a long ways off
Perhaps not. But anyone whose flight or other travel arrangement recently got cancelled or will get cancelled in the short term can use this as additional ammunition in their battle to get restitution. Likewise it's a renewed warning to anyone who may be thinking of making arrangements now for travel in the next few months.
veni, vidi, Visa
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Likewise it's a renewed warning to anyone who may be thinking of making arrangements now for travel in the next few months.
lol.. like everyone in this sub-forum? A lot of countries are opening up borders in the next few weeks - a lot of us are more than happy to travel.
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
bylo wrote: Perhaps not. But anyone whose flight or other travel arrangement recently got cancelled or will get cancelled in the short term can use this as additional ammunition in their battle to get restitution. Likewise it's a renewed warning to anyone who may be thinking of making arrangements now for travel in the next few months.
The government isn't preventing anyone from travelling and many countries are re-opening to tourists next month. I'll be on my way as soon as Canadians are allowed into Europe. Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15005 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gei wrote: A lot of countries are opening up borders in the next few weeks - a lot of us are more than happy to travel.
mcbg1 wrote: The government isn't preventing anyone from travelling and many countries are re-opening to tourists next month. I'll be on my way as soon as Canadians are allowed into Europe. Cheers!
Several issues with that:
1. Some of those countries, e.g. in EU, may impose 14 day quarantine. So even if you get in, the first couple of weeks may not be very pleasant.
2. Even if you're OK with 1., you'll have to do 14 day quarantine when you return to quarantine. Spending a month in quarantine is not my idea of a vacation.
3. C-19 status changes quickly. If newly opened countries see a spike in new infections or a second wave, then they'll impose new lock downs, travel restrictions, flight cancellations. That was unexpected in March. It's reckless not to expect it in the coming months.
4. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
veni, vidi, Visa
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
bylo wrote: Several issues with that:
1. Some of those countries, e.g. in EU, may impose 14 day quarantine. So even if you get in, the first couple of weeks may not be very pleasant.
2. Even if you're OK with 1., you'll have to do 14 day quarantine when you return to quarantine. Spending a month in quarantine is not my idea of a vacation.
3. C-19 status changes quickly. If newly opened countries see a spike in new infections or a second wave, then they'll impose new lock downs, travel restrictions, flight cancellations. That was unexpected in March. It's reckless not to expect it in the coming months.
4. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
Many EU countries are dropping their quarantine requirements on arrival (Italy, Spain, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, etc.). I am fine with quarantine on arrival. I work from home and I'm a homebody overall. I will do what I want :)
Penalty Box
User avatar
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1285 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Several issues with that:
1. Some of those countries, e.g. in EU, may impose 14 day quarantine. So even if you get in, the first couple of weeks may not be very pleasant.
2. Even if you're OK with 1., you'll have to do 14 day quarantine when you return to quarantine. Spending a month in quarantine is not my idea of a vacation.
3. C-19 status changes quickly. If newly opened countries see a spike in new infections or a second wave, then they'll impose new lock downs, travel restrictions, flight cancellations. That was unexpected in March. It's reckless not to expect it in the coming months.
4. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
I wouldn't travel somewhere that has a quarantine on arrival. Many EU countries are dropping that in June, and most seem to be dropping it in July. I expect Canada will be forced to drop it soon after as well - but regardless, when I travel it's usually for a few months at a time.

Restrictions would not be reinstated on a whim - countries realize how much these lockdowns have destroyed their economies already, and businesses simply cannot operate with that much instability. Countries will not restart factories and industry for 2 months just to shut them down again - people would not tolerate it. The US in particular seems extremely reluctant to move backwards here.

I think as we move forward over the next few months we will realize how much damage we have done to the economy and to society in general, and we'll have to switch from fear mongering over the virus, to damage control from all the destruction we have done. Don't forget that all the free money stops in July as well, so there will be a huge impetus for industries - including tourism and hospitality - to restart.

Will cases go up? Maybe, but I don't expect a second round of lockdowns.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15005 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mcbg1 wrote: Many EU countries are dropping their quarantine requirements on arrival (Italy, Spain, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, etc.)
Until the next spike or second wave. That could happen at any time. There's no way to predict it. (Even in ON the number of new cases has been higher every day than it was a week ago.)
gei wrote: I wouldn't travel somewhere that has a quarantine on arrival. Many EU countries are dropping that in June, and most seem to be dropping it in July.
Again you can't know for sure. This can change by the day and suddenly you're in lock down at your destination and then in quarantine when you get back here.
when I travel it's usually for a few months at a time
That's a luxury most people don't have. Most people go overseas on vacation for 2 to 4 weeks. There's a good chance they could end up spending most of that time in quarantine. That's not what most people would consider a vacation, let alone a good expenditure of their travel money.
Restrictions would not be reinstated on a whim - countries realize how much these lockdowns have destroyed their economies already, and businesses simply cannot operate with that much instability. Countries will not restart factories and industry for 2 months just to shut them down again - people would not tolerate it.
Some countries that reopened too early because of economic pressures have already had to reimpose restrictions as the number of new infections spiked up.
The US in particular seems extremely reluctant to move backwards here.
The US and their buffoon-in-chief in particular are a poor example of how to respond to C-19 in any sort of rational manner. There are now some 100,000 dead as testament to Trump's insanity.
Will cases go up? Maybe, but I don't expect a second round of lock downs.
Every major pandemic has had a second (and more) wave. There's no reason to suppose this one is any different. Absent any evidence that this one is different it would be irrational to suppose that it is.
veni, vidi, Visa
Temp. Banned
Dec 20, 2005
1019 posts
383 upvotes
bylo wrote: Until the next spike or second wave. That could happen at any time. There's no way to predict it. (Even in ON the number of new cases has been higher every day than it was a week ago.)

Again you can't know for sure. This can change by the day and suddenly you're in lock down at your destination and then in quarantine when you get back here.

That's a luxury most people don't have. Most people go overseas on vacation for 2 to 4 weeks. There's a good chance they could end up spending most of that time in quarantine. That's not what most people would consider a vacation, let alone a good expenditure of their travel money.

Some countries that reopened too early because of economic pressures have already had to reimpose restrictions as the number of new infections spiked up.

The US and their buffoon-in-chief in particular are a poor example of how to respond to C-19 in any sort of rational manner. There are now some 100,000 dead as testament to Trump's insanity.

Every major pandemic has had a second (and more) wave. There's no reason to suppose this one is any different. Absent any evidence that this one is different it would be irrational to suppose that it is.
A second wave simply means another increase in the number of cases, no matter how small or big. So stop using that term as if it means the upcoming apocalypse. Know the facts about the virus, take proper precautions and live your life. The virus will be around for a long time. Don't let it stop you from living. Actually, you are your worst enemy at the moment. Cheers!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21059 posts
15005 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mcbg1 wrote: A second wave simply means another increase in the number of cases, no matter how small or big. So stop using that term as if it means the upcoming apocalypse. Know the facts about the virus, take proper precautions and live your life. The virus will be around for a long time. Don't let it stop you from living. Actually, you are your worst enemy at the moment. Cheers!
First, you should follow your own advice re "Know the facts about the virus" and being "your worst enemy," ;)

Second, no one is suggesting that a second wave "means the upcoming apocalypse."

All I'm suggesting is that another upwards spike, including a major one like a second wave, will result in new lock downs and other restrictions. We should expect this to happen even if we can't predict when it will happen or how exactly it will unfold. Act accordingly.

And remember to "be kind, stay calm and keep safe."
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1311 posts
678 upvotes
Montreal
PSA for an unchanged warning issued on March 13th? Why is this even a thread?

Top