• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2020 5:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1396 posts
450 upvotes

PSA: How I fixed my super annoyingly LOUD PS4 Pro

After having played some SWBF2 on my super duper quiet XBOX One X I went back to try and finish Days Gone and Death Stranding on my PS4 Pro. I could only take 2 minutes of that before I wanted to take a hammer to that piece of shit jet engine/hair dryer wanna be. Not even joking. I instantly went on the internet and did some research. Found an article by Eurogamer about how newer revisions of PS4 Pro are much quieter which obviously doesn't help me and LUCKILY came upon a video of someone that removed the top cover from his Pro and claimed it was much quieter so that's exactly what I DID!

The entire top piece is one solid piece of plastic and is being held in place by clips on the side. All you have to do is pull it up from the front. Every video I saw doing this made it look so EASY but the first time you do it, it will definitely be a struggle. My hands were hurting from trying and not wanting to break anything so I got a hammer and wrapped a cloth around it as not to damage anything and used the back part as a wedge to try and get some leverage. Work on one of the front corners first. I found some videos of people finding cockroaches in there! I had my trusty microfiber cloth and Q-tips ready but aside from some dust on the top cover near the vent it was relatively clean inside. Was very surprised by that as this is a launch unit. What I do is take the cover off when I play and just place it on top when I'm done to keep the dust out. No screws to remove and this does not void your warranty.

Final point: Everyone says why buy a console at the end of it's life cycle? Just wait and buy the next gen console. Well this is why! First revisions of PS4 and Xbox were complete and UTTER GARBAGE! It's completely stupid and downright fraudulent that I should have to take the cover off of a $600 machine but here are. I was lucky enough again after doing some research last generation that I was able to buy one of the revised Xbox 360s and never had a single problem with it even though I've heard of people having to go through 10 xboxs. Same with PS4, etc... I for one will NOT ever be buying a console day 1. Leave that to the fools and early adopters. Let me know if anyone gives this a try!

Here are some videos. Not necessary to watch but just posting for fun:

Video that gave me idea to remove top cover:

Cleaning PS4 Pro:

Eurogamer review of CUH-7200:

Talking about Roaches wtf!:

Dirty PS4 Pro:
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8721 posts
3088 upvotes
Noise levels are pretty random but the XBox One X is one system that is consistently built whisper quiet.
Microsoft really got the engineering and manufacturing process design down solid with the XBox One X.
All of their previous systems had many issues.
Nintendo systems are also completely quiet.

Usually some cheap Chinese manufacturer like Foxconn handles
all electronic manufacturing to varying degrees of low quality standards.
Foxconn manufactures electronic products for major American, Canadian, Chinese, Finnish and Japanese companies. Notable products manufactured by Foxconn include the BlackBerry,[8] iPad,[9] iPhone, iPod,[10] Kindle,[11] Nintendo 3DS, Nokia devices, Xiaomi devices, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Wii U, Xbox 360, Xbox One,[12] and several CPU sockets, including the TR4 CPU socket on some motherboards. As of 2012, Foxconn factories manufactured an estimated 40% of all consumer electronics sold worldwide.[13]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn
Two launch model PS3s. One whisper quiet, one extremely loud.
One launch model XBox 360, first one was extremely loud like a hairdryer, sold it, and 2nd launch model is whisper quiet.

2 PS4 launch models one was quieter than the other. Traded one in to EB and got a launch model PS4 Pro during that $399 launch promotion they had.
2 PS4 pros now from launch. Both relatively quiet. Traded one in to get a White model PS4 Pro. One of the launch PS4s I had was actually louder than the Pros.

I won one XBox One X in that Doritios/Kickstart contest posted on RFD and bought the launch model Scorpio edition.
Both are whisper quiet all the time.

The techs on Digital Foundry says one of them has an obnoxiously loud PS4 Pro and the other person (I forget who) has a reasonably quiet one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1396 posts
450 upvotes
Nintendo systems are completely quiet because they are so underpowered! There is no reason for them to be loud. More powerful GPUs/CPUs = more watts = more heat! The reason why Xbox One X is so quiet is because of the vapor chamber cooling. It is very effective. It's also why the X1X is so heavy. Let's hope they can do the same with the next gen Series X.

Many people complained about the xbox 360 sounding like a hairdryer but I never had any issues with my Elite.

Apparently the PS4 Pro uses two different fans, one from Nidec and one manufactured by Delta. Many people say that the Nidec fan is quieter but in the end it really does come down to lottery like you said. The PS4 Slim is much more power efficient and thus quieter. If I was in the market for a PS4 today that's probably what I would buy.

For anyone buying a next gen console day 1. I would definitely hold on the the bill and highly suggest bringing it back if you are even a little bit dissatisfied with the console.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1843 upvotes
Ajax
I guess I am one of the fools but really have never had problems with launch systems except for a thing here or there. And in those cases it was completely under warranty. For PS4 Pro, being Sony's second to third iteration pf PS4, there was really no excuse for the jet engine. Piss poor engineering decision to try and keep its form factor close to original PS4.

Over the years I cannot recall too many issues.

Those that stick out:
Playstation and Playstation 2 infamous for CD & DVD drive issues
Xbox 360 RROD on the launch system and for 2 revisions before it was completely put to rest.

I think as we more or less move to "Console PC" gaming, issues shouldn't really arise if components have been tested thoroughly. The question may be about how reliable the yield of chips are in the launch units as opposed to what they may be like a year or 18 months down the line.

My 4K HDR Atmos set-up is hungry for new consoles. lol
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2779 posts
993 upvotes
I've opened mine up before and it's not dirty at all, it's just a noisy POS, I wish there was an easy fix for my issue. It's great that this worked for you!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1396 posts
450 upvotes
ph00p wrote: I've opened mine up before and it's not dirty at all, it's just a noisy POS, I wish there was an easy fix for my issue. It's great that this worked for you!
There is a fix but it's not easy. One would be to re-apply some better thermal paste between the heatsink and the fan since I hear the one that comes on there by default is trash. Second would be to buy a fan off ebay and change it yoursellf. Third if it's really bothering you that much maybe try and reach out to Sony themselves and see what they can do for you. Doesn't hurt to try.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
4606 posts
1857 upvotes
Ancaster
I'm glad that it fixes it for you, but I refuse to do it for mine. I got so annoyed, that I just re-purchased (and replayed) MHW on my XB1X because of how intolerable the PS4 Pro noise was. If it wasn't for the exclusives, my PS4 Pro would've been sold off a long time ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)