Entertainment

(PSA) Important Notice: Flixster video is shutting down on October 31, 2019. Migration to Google Play is coming!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2020 8:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10812 posts
7084 upvotes
Oil Country

(PSA) Important Notice: Flixster video is shutting down on October 31, 2019. Migration to Google Play is coming!

Just received this email from Flixster. This has nothing to do with the UltraViolet service ending on July 31st, 2019.

Last edited by fudge_u on Jun 18th, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
160 replies
Jan 31, 2018
500 posts
939 upvotes
Winnipeg
This was inevitable. And long overdue; Flixster was terrible.

I was hoping that it would be Microsoft who would pick up the slack rather than Google, because I use their app on PC and Xbox. But this is probably the best solution for the majority.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10812 posts
7084 upvotes
Oil Country
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: This was inevitable. And long overdue; Flixster was terrible.

I was hoping that it would be Microsoft who would pick up the slack rather than Google, because I use their app on PC and Xbox. But this is probably the best solution for the majority.
I think it is. I’m also hoping more of my movies will port over to Movies Anywhere now. My UV movies are currently porting to Vudu, then MA. A couple of months back, about 80 of my UV movies went missing from MA, so I hope this fixes the issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1413 posts
744 upvotes
I used to use Flixster (and some other dead platforms like CinemaNow or whatnot)
UV was the best and even better it linked to Vudu
Then Vudu linked to Movies Anywhere and MA linked to Google
So most of my library was already converted (really only a few tv shows are left in Flixster at this point)
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11588 posts
1806 upvotes
Mississauga
Damn, another one bites the dust. A lot of my Flixster videos became unavailable about a year or so ago. Here's hoping the migration to Google is smooth.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10812 posts
7084 upvotes
Oil Country
kav2001c wrote: I used to use Flixster (and some other dead platforms like CinemaNow or whatnot)
UV was the best and even better it linked to Vudu
Then Vudu linked to Movies Anywhere and MA linked to Google
So most of my library was already converted (really only a few tv shows are left in Flixster at this point)
When I started collecting a few months back, I made sure I setup everything using US accounts. To be honest, it was the smartest thing I ever did. My US UV account is synced with Vudu, which is synced with Movies Anywhere. I also created US iTunes and Fandango accounts. All of the Canadian content I added to UV, ported over to Vudu successfully with exception to the first Harry Potter movie (difference in the title's name between US and Canada).

I've noticed in recent days, that any UV title I add to Vudu, isn't porting to UV. Just added Chasing Amy and Clerks, and neither one ported. Seems like movies stopped porting on July 25th for me. They work in Vudu, so I'm okay with that.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15510 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote: When I started collecting a few months back, I made sure I setup everything using US accounts. To be honest, it was the smartest thing I ever did. My US UV account is synced with Vudu, which is synced with Movies Anywhere. I also created US iTunes and Fandango accounts. All of the Canadian content I added to UV, ported over to Vudu successfully with exception to the first Harry Potter movie (difference in the title's name between US and Canada).

I've noticed in recent days, that any UV title I add to Vudu, isn't porting to UV. Just added Chasing Amy and Clerks, and neither one ported. Seems like movies stopped porting on July 25th for me. They work in Vudu, so I'm okay with that.
I just redeemed my code for the James Bond collection. The redemption slip said it was for UV but entering the code at Canada's foxredeem.com only allowed for redemption through Google Play. Like my redemption of Alita and as expected, none of the movies ported from Google to MA as these were Canadian codes; however, my redemption of Shazam into Google did port to iTunes and MA.

Looks to me like UV redemptions will go directly to Google.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3127 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote: I just redeemed my code for the James Bond collection. The redemption slip said it was for UV but entering the code at Canada's foxredeem.com only allowed for redemption through Google Play. Like my redemption of Alita and as expected, none of the movies ported from Google to MA as these were Canadian codes; however, my redemption of Shazam into Google did port to iTunes and MA.

Was your Shazam 4k? And did it redeem in 4k or regular HD?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15510 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
undacova wrote: Was your Shazam 4k? And did it redeem in 4k or regular HD?
Shazam was a 1080 code and upgraded to 4k HDR by Google. It will shows as 1080 in my Vudu, Fandango, and USA iTunes account.
Aug 15, 2005
75 posts
7 upvotes
Markham
audit13 wrote: I just redeemed my code for the James Bond collection. The redemption slip said it was for UV but entering the code at Canada's foxredeem.com only allowed for redemption through Google Play. Like my redemption of Alita and as expected, none of the movies ported from Google to MA as these were Canadian codes; however, my redemption of Shazam into Google did port to iTunes and MA.

If I knew back then Flixster was going away, I should have picked Google play for my James Bond collection as my digital locker. Now it's stuck in Flixster and won't port to MA (to sync with Google play) because MA doesn't support MGM movies. I jus hope I don't loose my James Bond collection!! I tried emailing MGM and they point fingers to Flixster to fix the problem.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15510 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
azndoodle wrote: If I knew back then Flixster was going away, I should have picked Google play for my James Bond collection as my digital locker. Now it's stuck in Flixster and won't port to MA (to sync with Google play) because MA doesn't support MGM movies. I jus hope I don't loose my James Bond collection!! I tried emailing MGM and they point fingers to Flixster to fix the problem.
Flixster is closing and the movies, where possible, will port to Google.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10812 posts
7084 upvotes
Oil Country
Maaaan... I hate using Google Play to watch movies. Almost anything else is better.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1498 posts
912 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone hear anything more about the transition to Google Play?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1136 posts
1098 upvotes
jarfgames wrote: Anyone hear anything more about the transition to Google Play?
No and I'm getting a bit worried it won't happen
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1498 posts
912 upvotes
Calgary
BernardRyder wrote: No and I'm getting a bit worried it won't happen
I agree. Fortunately for me the majority of my digital collection is iTunes so not impacted. But still pretty low of Flixter to announce a shut down in the summer, promise an update in July, and then just go silent.