• Apr 21st, 2021 10:46 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13751 posts
8465 upvotes
Markham

PSA Porch Pirates are targeting anything of value, not just parcels

Pretty sure this isn't a first but I thought I'd let ppl know if they haven't heard it yet.

I know someone who had a nice planter from the front of their house stolen [around 6am]. Planter was fairly big and even had rocks in it so it was heavy and the thief still stole it. Value of planter and plant was probably a hundred $ give or take.

Might have to rig up some booby traps for these bad ppl....maybe vaseline the planter so they can't get a good grip.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
27 replies
Dec 26, 2012
317 posts
275 upvotes
TORONTO
yup, i live in Hamilton and everything needs to be secured down, not just packages. I moved in in September and my place didn't have A/C so i got one put in. My neighbours informed me I didn't have one because someone unhooked it and stole it. pretty incredible.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1685 posts
775 upvotes
GTA
Cowboy905 wrote: yup, i live in Hamilton and everything needs to be secured down, not just packages. I moved in in September and my place didn't have A/C so i got one put in. My neighbours informed me I didn't have one because someone unhooked it and stole it. pretty incredible.
Someone stole the entire compressor?!?! That's crazy.
Dec 26, 2012
317 posts
275 upvotes
TORONTO
yea, apparently it was one of those older green metal units. they obviously knew what they were doing.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3355 posts
2825 upvotes
Toronto
exrcoupe wrote: Someone stole the entire compressor?!?! That's crazy.
I mean it is Hamilton.
Apr 29, 2007
667 posts
354 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cowboy905 wrote: yup, i live in Hamilton and everything needs to be secured down, not just packages. I moved in in September and my place didn't have A/C so i got one put in. My neighbours informed me I didn't have one because someone unhooked it and stole it. pretty incredible.
OMG
That's crazy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8273 posts
2898 upvotes
Maple
My god, this reminds me where I came from. People had to really secure everything down. My brother had to with his water meter with concrete, just leave the face open. Sad for GTA, it becomes that. :(
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1503 posts
610 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
People have been stealing central air conditioning units for years. Sometimes you see them caged.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17462 posts
10243 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It's not just the front yard, they will also venture into the backyard as well if the gate isn't locked or they can see something of potential value - ie a shed for power tools.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13751 posts
8465 upvotes
Markham
You can only do so much unfortunately. Guess if the thief needs your stuff that much just let em have it. Because you can't watch your stuff 24/7 and you don't want to confront them regardless.

I put an alarm on my shed last yr, just an audible alarm. The battery died, guess maybe I should replace em.

Oct 2, 2018
705 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
I'm always surprised a lot of those front lawn Christmas decorations are not absconded with, they can get expensive to get everything just perfect and I just love how they look....lol.

It would be pretty nasty if some grinch stole your 6 foot lighted "grinch" lawn ornament, even funnier if it showed up on a neighbours lawn, eek!
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13751 posts
8465 upvotes
Markham
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I'm always surprised a lot of those front lawn Christmas decorations are not absconded with, they can get expensive to get everything just perfect and I just love how they look....lol.

It would be pretty nasty if some grinch stole your 6 foot lighted "grinch" lawn ornament, even funnier if it showed up on a neighbours lawn, eek!
There was a newstory not that long ago when a woman was caught on camera stealing a Christmas wreath.

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6584 posts
3573 upvotes
Mississauga
High-end shrubs are a target too. I personally know people who've had newly planted Japanese maples ripped out of their front yard gardens.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1103 posts
976 upvotes
ON
What's next? Maybe rip out and take away my newly installed pavers? Face With Tears Of Joy
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13751 posts
8465 upvotes
Markham
Scote64 wrote: They don't even have to be high end: https://www.vicnews.com/news/the-grinch ... ree-theft/
We had a bunch of bigger "hens and chicks" plucked from our front yard garden. Ppl will steal plants for sure, some break off branches, some pull em out with the roots.

Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1814 posts
656 upvotes
Elgin, ON
My parents have lived on the same property for probably near 40 years. Decent neighbourhood in Niagara Falls.

Off the top of my head (I'm probably missing a few), they've had:

at least 1 break in, when not home. Some stereo equipment (and maybe a few other things) was stolen.
1 attempted break in. Alarm system deterred the thief.
Old (5/10 condition) wicker rocking chair stolen from front porch.

Theft is nothing new. People will steal almost anything, even items that don't seem to have much value.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6639 posts
1164 upvotes
We always have surveillance cameras around our house for the last 10+ years, so far nothing was stolen. I guess they will pick a place without cameras? Or at least I hope.
Dec 26, 2012
317 posts
275 upvotes
TORONTO
golden wrote: We always have surveillance cameras around our house for the last 10+ years, so far nothing was stolen. I guess they will pick a place without cameras? Or at least I hope.
i think it helps but people still steal and not care. Especially now with covid and their face being covered by a mask.