Shopping Discussion

PSA: Returned something to Walmart? Check your CC statements.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2019 7:19 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4692 posts
3140 upvotes

PSA: Returned something to Walmart? Check your CC statements.

Walmart changed their online purchase return process sometime last year or early this year and their new system has so many issues. It used to be when you return something to the store, they will refund the money back to your CC in store. Now when you return an item, they just initiate the return process and you will have to wait for them to send the item back to their warehouse before you get your money back.

Sounds familiar, just like Amazon. However, there is a huge difference. Walmart does not print you a return receipt. All they do is enter the order number on a computer at the back of the customer service counter and throw your item in a bin. When I returned a game, the CSR didn't even label the game before she puts it in the bin. I have no idea how they can figure out who returned what. To make matter worse, I have seen shoppers walk into the customer service area to pick up their bags, right on top of the return bins are located. Apparently Walmart is so paranoid of people shopping with backpacks so they let shoppers store their backpacks in the CS area.

To make the long story short. The game I returned back in November is still not refunded. I have contacted Walmart and they have no idea what's going on. One CSR said I didn't get charged and it was a temp hold so I sent them a screenshot of my statement. Now they have confirmed that I was charged but still won't refund me the money until they contact the store and finds the game I returned.

If I haven't checked my CC statements I wouldn't have even realized this. Image the majority of people who return items at Walmart thinking the money will go back to their CC automatically without issue. If Walmart doesn't refund me they money they have technically "stole" from me. I checked Walmart Twitter page and it looks like many people are experiencing similar issue. Some guy is still trying get get his $1000 back. Apparently Walmart has lost his laptop.

I know I could do chargeback but I rather not go through that process. I'll give them a few more days to fix this. It has been a month now.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2754 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart used to be good...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14599 posts
27393 upvotes
Scarborough
Havo wrote: Sounds like a nightmare... I hardly ever order stuff online from them and this will keep me away in case I need to return stuff.
It sure does! Since they changed their free shipping to $50+, I hardly ever order from them anymore. I did have a few issues using their online grocery pickup service and had a hell of a time getting things refunded.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12995 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: Walmart used to be good...
I don't think they were ever good, just cheap.
Cheap enough to try to muscle everyone else out.
Havo wrote: Sounds like a nightmare... I hardly ever order stuff online from them and this will keep me away in case I need to return stuff.
I practically treat them like a giant convenience store nowadays.
I can't remember the last time I did a regular shop there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4692 posts
3140 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: I don't think they were ever good, just cheap.

I practically treat them like a giant convenience store nowadays.
I can't remember the last time I did a regular shop there.
More like going through airport security.

Picking up a jug of milk requires me to go through the first security check at self checkout. Needing to go to the washroom requires me to go through another security check. Heading out the front door is another security check (standard) plus another security guard, a greeter, and a HD camera hooked up to a TV screen on top of the exit door. It's probably easier sneaking in a jug of milk onto the airplane than sneaking it out Walmart.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2754 posts
2032 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I don't think they were ever good, just cheap.
Well cheap is good for the most part, but I meant customer service wise they were always good at least in my experiences with online shopping and returns, painless and usually quick.

If they don't refund your card immediately, or I should say process the return now I don't see the point of bringing it into the store, let them waste money on courier fees for pick up and shipping. I noticed they farmed out their CSR a few years ago and I stopped ordering online, they seem to have bo idea how to do things and trying to speak with a Canadian CSR is impossible at least I haven't been able to find a way to contact them. I only shop at WalMart when absolutely necessary now, I dislike how they no longer care about you as a client also the whole police state direction they've taken.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5632 posts
3553 upvotes
Their Twitter people are absolute idiots. I created an online return on November 6. I shipped the item back on November 14. I contacted them a week or two later to ask about the refund. They told me they refunded me on November 6. They don’t even have the brain cells to understand and answer the question “Why would Walmart refund me on November 6 if I did not even ship the item back until November 14?” It was actually refunded on November 18 and took over 2 weeks to post. This happened before as well. It is better to just use Live Chat.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2058 posts
1978 upvotes
i've returned couple of online purchase at the store and i was given a print out of return receipt.
but yea, it's pretty rubbishy , they seems to be running online business on separate system since store CSR has to log into different computer to process the return....
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1672 posts
88 upvotes
They just keep making their online experience worse and worse. I’d also caution anyone to not use their gift cards online to pay (which they started allowing earlier this year). I used a GC to pay for a grocery order. Their system bugged out and somehow treated my grocery order as an order to be shipped (not delivery but a regular general merchandise order). They were supposed to cancel the order and mail me a new gc, but their call centre was useless and couldn’t understand what happened. They kept saying my order was coming! Yeah I don’t want the milk in my order to be shipped to me. Since I didn’t use a cc I couldn’t even charge back. After 3 (infuriating) months their head office finally mailed me a GC in the exact amount I was out (not a dime more as compensation) and wrote a letter indicating that it was only offered as a “good will gesture”. It was MY money to begin with! Stealing money and then finally giving it back isn’t good will. I barely buy anything online from them now.