PC & Video Games

PSA: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is really good now!

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2020 8:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes

PSA: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is really good now!

Just a friendly reminder, I've been playing a ton of SWBF2 lately and the game is amazingly fun! They've completely removed all of the microtransactions out of the game. You actually level up and unlock all of the characters just by playing the game now. Imagine how big this game would be if they had done this from the start? With all of the new updates and content being added to the game for FREE I highly recommend checking it out! This is still the most immersive and best looking game of this generation.

The game is currently on sale or can be played for free if you have EA access. Good luck troopers! May the Force be with you!
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1802 posts
982 upvotes
Durham
I had the game when first launched. Did campaign, some online and it faded. With the recent updates, I am now hooked. The game took a complete 360 and it takes no time to find online games. I'm rushing to do my Christmas clean up today so I can play all day tomorrow lol. Also more updates are planned for January.

I didn't buy the Celebration pack. Can't justify $30 on just skins.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8190 posts
4880 upvotes
Toronto
Played through the campaign earlier this year and enjoyed that for the amazing audio/visual presentation on PC but I couldn't get into the multiplayer which seemed kind of shallow and didn't hook me in any way. I didn't even think it was bad or anything, I just find games with level up unlock systems off putting in general as it's like I need to invest a ton of time to have access to the same content as regular players which i have no motivation to do with so many other games to play
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote: I had the game when first launched. Did campaign, some online and it faded. With the recent updates, I am now hooked. The game took a complete 360 and it takes no time to find online games. I'm rushing to do my Christmas clean up today so I can play all day tomorrow lol. Also more updates are planned for January.

I didn't buy the Celebration pack. Can't justify $30 on just skins.
Nice glad to see someone else is enjoying it! Celebration pack is not necessary. If you play the game a lot then you will unlock all that stuff eventually anyways but for people who don't have a lot of time, it's a nice way to support the game. They have huge updates planned for the game throughout 2020 so the game's population will be expanding.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: Played through the campaign earlier this year and enjoyed that for the amazing audio/visual presentation on PC but I couldn't get into the multiplayer which seemed kind of shallow and didn't hook me in any way. I didn't even think it was bad or anything, I just find games with level up unlock systems off putting in general as it's like I need to invest a ton of time to have access to the same content as regular players which i have no motivation to do with so many other games to play
If you know of a better online game please do let me know. I tend to get bored of online games pretty quick so I'm surprised I'm hooked on SWBF2 and how much fun it is now compared to when I first played it. Unlock system is nothing new and is proven to keep players engaged. Even Halo, Battlefield and COD have that. It's why they have those double XP weekends so that you can unlock that stuff faster. I don't have many star cards unlocked in SWBF2 yet but now that I've gotten pretty decent at the game I can hold my own just fine. I imagine the game will get easier as you unlock more cards and there's a ton of variety here from the shooting mechanics to lightsabers and fighting in starships with full blown spaceship battles! The game is surprisingly deep as many of the heroes and villains play very differently.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8190 posts
4880 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: Unlock system is nothing new and is proven to keep players engaged. Even Halo, Battlefield and COD have that. It's why they have those double XP weekends so that you can unlock that stuff faster.
I realize that and it's why I hardly ever play multiplayer FPS games anymore, though I haven't noticed anything like that in Halo Reach which I've been playing recently. That said I'm not crazy about Star Wars so once I tried the multiplayer out for a bit, it just made me feel like going back to Battlefield which I find far more appealing and impressive than Battlefront.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: I realize that and it's why I hardly ever play multiplayer FPS games anymore, though I haven't noticed anything like that in Halo Reach which I've been playing recently. That said I'm not crazy about Star Wars so once I tried the multiplayer out for a bit, it just made me feel like going back to Battlefield which I find far more appealing and impressive than Battlefront.
I played through the single player campaign of Halo Reach recently with the updated graphics and dabbled a little bit in multiplayer for nostalgia. The most I ever played a Battlefield game was Battlefield One because EVERYONE was playing that game at the time but still didn't love it. I prefer more fantasy settings.

Halo Reach has unlocks:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/11528 ... halo-reach
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4559 posts
1470 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: If you know of a better online game please do let me know. I tend to get bored of online games pretty quick so I'm surprised I'm hooked on SWBF2 and how much fun it is now compared to when I first played it. Unlock system is nothing new and is proven to keep players engaged. Even Halo, Battlefield and COD have that. It's why they have those double XP weekends so that you can unlock that stuff faster. I don't have many star cards unlocked in SWBF2 yet but now that I've gotten pretty decent at the game I can hold my own just fine. I imagine the game will get easier as you unlock more cards and there's a ton of variety here from the shooting mechanics to lightsabers and fighting in starships with full blown spaceship battles! The game is surprisingly deep as many of the heroes and villains play very differently.
I remember leading up to the release of BF2 I really got into BF1, especially the space battles, and BF2 improved upon them even more. But I ended up abandoning BF2 when all my friends moved on... I'm super curious about jumping back in though. Thanks for the head's up!
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8190 posts
4880 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: I played through the single player campaign of Halo Reach recently with the updated graphics and dabbled a little bit in multiplayer for nostalgia. The most I ever played a Battlefield game was Battlefield One because EVERYONE was playing that game at the time but still didn't love it. I prefer more fantasy settings.

Halo Reach has unlocks:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/11528 ... halo-reach
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't unlocks in Halo entirely cosmetic? I don't really care when games have cosmetic unlocks as it doesn't effect gameplay, it's when people who play more hours are rewarded with gameplay advantages like in Battlefront that I can't be bothered. Battlefield has this as well but I just tolerate it because it's Battlefield and there's nothing else comparable in the genre.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2281 posts
1430 upvotes
I picked this up on or around Boxing Day last year for $2. Still the best money I’ve spent on a game!
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1035 posts
494 upvotes
Any changes to the campaign mode? Or just multiplayer ...
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote: Any changes to the campaign mode? Or just multiplayer ...
Depends on when you last played the game. They released a completely free DLC called Resurrection which continues the story and adds an additional 3 campaign story missions. If this was Destiny they probably would have charged $40 for this DLC lmao! Gotta give credit where credit is due. Dice could easily have abandoned this game but they stuck with it. They've given the players a lot of free stuff and made the game good again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
quicksilver7 wrote: Is this on game pass? Too lazy too look :)
I don't think so since it's an EA game so you'd need to subscribe to EA access but if you took advantage of the Game Pass Ultimate deal recently it comes with one free month of EA access in case you wanted to try it that way.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9010 posts
3312 upvotes
What platform are you playing it on?
I thought it was mediocre at best around launch. I uninstalled it off my PS4 Pro.
Don't really feel like re-installing it because both my PS4 Pros are full and would require to delete around 80GB of other games to make room for it.

I could sign up for EA Origin on PC.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1015 posts
290 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Bryson wrote: I don't think so since it's an EA game so you'd need to subscribe to EA access but if you took advantage of the Game Pass Ultimate deal recently it comes with one free month of EA access in case you wanted to try it that way.
EA Access. I have it so will give it a try. Thanks for the thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: What platform are you playing it on?
I thought it was mediocre at best around launch. I uninstalled it off my PS4 Pro.
Don't really feel like re-installing it because both my PS4 Pros are full and would require to delete around 80GB of other games to make room for it.

I could sign up for EA Origin on PC.
Right now I'm playing it on Xbox One X which is where I play most of my multiplats and it's also where I have my 2tb harddrive hooked up for extra storage. My PS4 is constantly running out of space like you said and I need still need to finish Death Stranding and Days Gone before I can delete them lol.

Tempted to pick up SWBF2 for PS4 sometime in the future maybe since there used to be a website that tracked player population on SWBF and PS4 tended to have twice the players but no problem finding games on Xbox right now.
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
27 posts
49 upvotes
how do upgrades work for the character? I remember one of the criticisms of the game at launch was the supid system of progression where you had either pay or slowly unlock boxes with random cards that upgraded random characters. If I want to use Yoda all the time would it be hard to upgrade him?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8190 posts
4880 upvotes
Toronto
collectthepaperok wrote: how do upgrades work for the character? I remember one of the criticisms of the game at launch was the supid system of progression where you had either pay or slowly unlock boxes with random cards that upgraded random characters. If I want to use Yoda all the time would it be hard to upgrade him?
it's a complete time sink of grinding and trying to unlock better cards so you can compete against people who have nothing better to do than play this game all day every day to unlock everything. Multiplayer in this game is a terrible waste of time
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1401 posts
451 upvotes
collectthepaperok wrote: how do upgrades work for the character? I remember one of the criticisms of the game at launch was the supid system of progression where you had either pay or slowly unlock boxes with random cards that upgraded random characters. If I want to use Yoda all the time would it be hard to upgrade him?
Don't listen to ReeGee. He's the resident curmudgeon. Face With Tears Of Joy The main complaint for this game when it first launched is that the progression was based purely from random loot boxes but it's since been completely overhauled. You now level up by playing the character you want to level. No RNG involved.

Here are some tips to increase your enjoyment. You can buy the celebration edition which comes with every single unlockable you can imagine in this game right from the start. No grinding needed. Star cards themselves are not needed to enjoy this game and if you only focus or plan on playing ONE character than it will not take long to unlock the star cards for that character. Like all online shooters this is very much a skill based game. You can be good without any star cards just like unlocking all of the star cards will NOT make you a God in this game. You actually need to get good. There is no leaderboard as far as I know so just running around killing stuff while enjoying the atmosphere is good enough for me.

My advice is to play a character you enjoy playing that way it will not feel like a grind at all. Also if your only focus is to level up as quick as possible then I highly suggest playing on Wednesdays where it's double XP and double/triple XP weekends which happen at least once a month, sometimes more. There is a monthly community calendar which comes out every month so keep an eye out for that. You will level up really fast this way. Also online Arcade mode is a great way to level up fast as killing dozens and hundreds of AI droids will level you up really fast. Hope this helps and good luck!

Top