PSA- Tarion 1 year warranty form

• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2021 3:54 pm
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
958 posts
58 upvotes

PSA- Tarion 1 year warranty form

Since I gather many of you are investors, I wanted to offer my recent experience around Tarion warranties on new homes.

For discretion, I’ll keep builder names out of it. I bought a detached home from the builder which closed in 2019. Since I don’t live particularly close to the property and also figuring this is my last shot at warranty claims I decided to hire a professional inspector to do a home inspection for the one year Tarion form. I found an inspector who was familiar with the process and even filled out the form with his findings.

To make a long story short, among the 40 or so findings he had, 39 were relatively minor but the 40th one he found some mold on the subfloor in the basement which was very difficult to otherwise detect. My tenant had no idea and had been living there quite some time.

At first the builder tried to deny it and fixed everything but this one issue. Eventually I threatened the builder that I would file for conciliation with Tarion if there was no action…they tried to call my bluff but once I actually did file they got serious about it and referred the matter to their own insurance company.

Long story short - a year of fighting but in the end, this one finding wound up being a nearly $40k remediation and the builder’s insurance company covering it as well as temporary accommodations for my tenant who had to leave for several weeks to accommodate the repair.

So my PSA - consider spending $400 on a professional inspection for your 1 year and make use of every avenue available through Tarion including the conciliation process. Don’t let the builder try and bully you, and make sure you pay attention to the deadlines and filing requirements.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1363 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
100% agreed. Never understood why people cheap out on a proper inspection when you spend so much money on the actual real estate.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1849 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome thread and a great reminder.

Would it make sense to do this at the PDI stage vs the 30 day/1 year? Hopefully I shell out the cash once.

Thanks

Edit: I’m thinking for my principal residence in case that changes opinions.
Jun 28, 2009
227 posts
90 upvotes
2K6TSX wrote: Awesome thread and a great reminder.

Would it make sense to do this at the PDI stage vs the 30 day/1 year? Hopefully I shell out the cash once.

Thanks

For principal residence pre con, it make more sense to wait till year end cause the house can still shift, issues can show with time.
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
958 posts
58 upvotes
2K6TSX wrote: Awesome thread and a great reminder.

Thanks

I’d also suggest the 1 year. I also found many of the defects at 30 days (nail pops, etc) the builder won’t even fix till the one year mark.

But make sure you absolutely fill out the 30 day form.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15141 posts
11613 upvotes
Tarrana
ptxpress wrote: I’d also suggest the 1 year. I also found many of the defects at 30 days (nail pops, etc) the builder won’t even fix till the one year mark.

Absolutely. And some builders try to dissuade you from filling out the 30 day form. NOPE! Fill it out and put absolutely everything on it. Builders tend to slack on fixing things after they fix the major stuff.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2330 posts
1156 upvotes
Moon
Hi guys, for condos does the timer start when its final closing or when the unit enters occupancy? Where can I find these forms? THanks.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1849 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
mao246 wrote: For principal residence pre con, it make more sense to wait till year end cause the house can still shift, issues can show with time.
ptxpress wrote: I’d also suggest the 1 year. I also found many of the defects at 30 days (nail pops, etc) the builder won’t even fix till the one year mark.

Thanks - will definitely do the 30 day form and then get an inspector for 1 year.

@ptxpress if you’re in the GTA and able to share the contact details of your inspector it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
958 posts
58 upvotes
2K6TSX wrote: Thanks - will definitely do the 30 day form and then get an inspector for 1 year.

@ptxpress if you’re in the GTA and able to share the contact details of your inspector it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sent you a pm with his contact info.
Aug 15, 2014
545 posts
175 upvotes
Newmarket
ptxpress wrote: Sent you a pm with his contact info.
Can you possibly pm me with contact info as well thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1450 posts
390 upvotes
This is a fantastic PSA... In another thread, someone laughed at my comment when I stated that a home inspector will point out stuff an average home owner won't even know about.

On my condo I didn't bother. But on my freehold, I definitely got someone in for the 1yr mark! And I have picture evidence if the builder tries to shortchange me.
May 28, 2012
454 posts
412 upvotes
ONT
kangarooz wrote: Hi guys, for condos does the timer start when its final closing or when the unit enters occupancy? Where can I find these forms? THanks.
Question related to this, if the condo builder is in receivership/bankrupt, who would pay for any needed repairs?
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
Great post and info. Thanks for sharing.
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
mrct1944 wrote: Question related to this, if the condo builder is in receivership/bankrupt, who would pay for any needed repairs?
Tarion
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15141 posts
11613 upvotes
Tarrana
Do you mind sending me his info?
[OP]
Dec 8, 2003
958 posts
58 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Do you mind sending me his info?
Sent. Also anyone else who has requested here or via pm I’ve sent to.

Good luck.
Aug 15, 2014
545 posts
175 upvotes
Newmarket
ptxpress wrote: Sent. Also anyone else who has requested here or via pm I’ve sent to.

Good luck.
Sorry but didn’t get pm would appreciate it thanks again
Jun 28, 2009
227 posts
90 upvotes
Can you please share his info with me as well? Will keep his contact when my 1-year approaches.

Thank you!
Dec 4, 2013
668 posts
293 upvotes
Mississauga
Can you send it to me as well? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3748 posts
785 upvotes
How did your home inspector find it?

That's a great win.