• Mar 5th, 2018 2:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8568 upvotes
GTHA

[PSA] The Toronto Police annual distracted driving campaign starts today

Officers will focus their attention on those drivers who choose to drive while distracted. Distracted driving is any action that a driver engages in that takes their focus away from the safe operation of their vehicle, which includes, but is not limited to, the use of hand-held communication and entertainment devices. Distracted drivers are a safety risk to themselves and other road-users.

Since 2010, the year distracted-driving legislation came into force in Ontario, approximately 120,000 tickets have been issued for distracted-driving-related offences by the Toronto Police Service.
Read full press release: http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/40356
2 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1723 posts
1406 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wait according to the legislation you get a ticket if you are caught using your phone while your engine is running.

So I can turn off the engine, text, and turn it back on at a traffic light? Its not illegal to turn my engine off at traffic lights. What about Mercedes that have their engines automatically turned off?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
856 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
chevyz07 wrote: Wait according to the legislation you get a ticket if you are caught using your phone while your engine is running.

So I can turn off the engine, text, and turn it back on at a traffic light? Its not illegal to turn my engine off at traffic lights. What about Mercedes that have their engines automatically turned off?
If you are on a public roadway you must have control of your vehicle, and that includes not being distracted. But if you want to test the law, please get back to us with the results.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)