• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2020 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1210 posts
294 upvotes

pst file in OneDrive

I’ve been setting up my father-in-law’s new laptop and migrating info from his 12 year old Dell desktop with Windows 7. The problem: I had planned on setting up his Outlook 2016 Shaw account with the same pop settings as his Outlook 2010. However, when I set up the pop account it put the Outlook pst folder in the OneDrive, not Documents on C drive. No moves or changes to pst file name stop it. Even after deleting from OneDrive it comes back. A MS tech spent an hour trying to no avail. I finally created an imap Shaw account and it went to the proper place in AppData, but I don’t know how to get additional contacts and emails from pst file. It’s been a nightmare and waste of time. Should I stick with imap or has someone had a similar problem that they solved?
4 replies
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2008
812 posts
280 upvotes
Hi,

The PST has nothing to do with the pop settings. To change the default data file and or just add in a pst file as a extra data file
go into the Account settings Files /etc
https://www.msoutlook.info/question/86
Follow the instructions on the shaw website to configure the pop account in outlook, google it , it exists your not the first person to do this

some recommendations
no one should be using pop setups anymore
no one should be using a service providers email anymore... what happens if you have to change isps...he will loose this address. its best if you create a gmail or hotmail /outlook which will never die
make sure he has a back up of that pst


Philbert wrote: I’ve been setting up my father-in-law’s new laptop and migrating info from his 12 year old Dell desktop with Windows 7. The problem: I had planned on setting up his Outlook 2016 Shaw account with the same pop settings as his Outlook 2010. However, when I set up the pop account it put the Outlook pst folder in the OneDrive, not Documents on C drive. No moves or changes to pst file name stop it. Even after deleting from OneDrive it comes back. A MS tech spent an hour trying to no avail. I finally created an imap Shaw account and it went to the proper place in AppData, but I don’t know how to get additional contacts and emails from pst file. It’s been a nightmare and waste of time. Should I stick with imap or has someone had a similar problem that they solved?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1210 posts
294 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: Hi,

The PST has nothing to do with the pop settings. To change the default data file and or just add in a pst file as a extra data file
go into the Account settings Files /etc
https://www.msoutlook.info/question/86
Follow the instructions on the shaw website to configure the pop account in outlook, google it , it exists your not the first person to do this

some recommendations
no one should be using pop setups anymore
no one should be using a service providers email anymore... what happens if you have to change isps...he will loose this address. its best if you create a gmail or hotmail /outlook which will never die
make sure he has a back up of that pst
I get that Shaw is not ideal, but I’m helping an 85 year old man who has been using a Shaw address for 25 years. With seniors there are certain things you let be.

I know how to set up a pop account in Shaw etc. and where pst is “supposed” to be stored. As I say, the problem is Outlook 2016 putting the pst folder in Onedrive upon profile configuration. That cannot be changed, and the pst file cannot be moved, only replicated. If I move it to C drive according to MS instructions and delete it from Onedrive, it recreates the pst file in Onedrive as soon as Outlook is reopened. Two simultaneous pst files is not ideal.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3026 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote: I get that Shaw is not ideal, but I’m helping an 85 year old man who has been using a Shaw address for 25 years. With seniors there are certain things you let be.
One option is to set up a outlook.com account for him, migrate as much of the inbox as possible into that account (i think you get 15GB for free accounts) and then forward the shaw email address to the outlook.com address. Tell him to use the outlook.com address for anything new and over time change the various web accounts to point to the new address. That way you can have everything kept in his outlook inbox, avoid needing PST files and POP.
Sr. Member
Nov 14, 2008
812 posts
280 upvotes
these options to change the default pst are all in the same config / account settings through the profile
Philbert wrote: I get that Shaw is not ideal, but I’m helping an 85 year old man who has been using a Shaw address for 25 years. With seniors there are certain things you let be.

I know how to set up a pop account in Shaw etc. and where pst is “supposed” to be stored. As I say, the problem is Outlook 2016 putting the pst folder in Onedrive upon profile configuration. That cannot be changed, and the pst file cannot be moved, only replicated. If I move it to C drive according to MS instructions and delete it from Onedrive, it recreates the pst file in Onedrive as soon as Outlook is reopened. Two simultaneous pst files is not ideal.

Top