Automotive

public charging station in brampton

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2019 3:37 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 4, 2007
52 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton

public charging station in brampton

Hi,

I recently bought a plug-in hybrid and I am enjoying the different charging station around Peel Region. I'm here to share my experience at one of the charging station in Brampton.
There is a public charging station at the Peel Region Paramedic station. On the Peel Region website, http://www.peelregion.ca/climate-energy/, it states there the public and staff are allowed to use it. The one I am using is the Peel Region Paramedic Station on 1600 Bovaird Drive East, Brampton. This charging station has a set rule when using the station. I abide by these rules. A month and half ago, when I was dropping my vehicle to charge, a paramedic questioned me for using the charging station. I said it was a public charging station. They said "ok" and left me alone. A month ago, I received a note on my windshield stating this public station was only for staff. I called the FLO company(charging station company) to confirm if this site is for the public. FLO confirmed it is. I called Peel Region to confirm if this site is for public use. Peel Region also confirmed this station is for the public. I wrote note and left it on my dash stating that I confirmed with the charging company and Peel Region that this charging station is for the public not just for staff. If they wanted to confirm they can call Peel Region. Yesterday I received a second note, the paramedic is trying to guilt me into not using the public charging station. I do not appreciate these types of harassment for using a public station. I pay taxes and live in the community that this charging station was built for. For the paramedics to harass me for using this public station is not right. Paramedics are paid to help people. How is this helping people? They are bullying the public. I contacted Peel Region today to make a complaint. I was told that the paramedics are trying to make this public station private. I was also told the paramedics are saying the public is not following the set rules to use this charging station. I can attest that the paramedics are also breaking the same rules. I find it appalling that they are saying that the public are breaking the rules and using that to change the station to private. Charging stations that are on government/city property that has been advertise for public use, should stay as a public station.

I was wondering if anyone else receive this type of treatment? If so, please make a comment below.
Last edited by Guest39374929 on Sep 5th, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
27346 posts
12354 upvotes
Toronto
You should have gone inside to speak to the mgr or person in charge of that station to clear up the dispute.

I am just worried for you the on going dispute could lead to damage of your vehicle
Member
Dec 1, 2009
203 posts
137 upvotes
How many hours are you using the charging station?
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 4, 2007
52 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
Yes that is the charging station. I was the one that wrote that tip.

Part of the rules is once your car is finished charging you need to remove your car. My car only takes 2 hours and 35 minutes to fully charge. And I make sure I always leave once it is fully charged.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27158 posts
7464 upvotes
The paramedics have a point but I believe this is going to become an increasing point of arguments and confrontations between not only people that work nearby/on-site and public but also when public gets into fights amongst themselves over who gets what charging station, who got there first, etc. '

Seems odd to me though, that people that own electrics continually think that charging (and therefore energy) should be provided to them for free. It seems very presumptuous and entitled, IMO. I pay taxes too, does that mean the government should pay for my gasoline to run my car?

Anyway this will also be fixed eventually because all of these stations will also become paid-for/pay-per-use/paid-subscription etc. models when companies and government start to lose money on providing "free energy".

In the meantime good luck fighting the paramedics, that seems like a stand-up thing for you to do eh? lol
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 21, 2009
3368 posts
1301 upvotes
Grimsby
ES_Revenge wrote: The paramedics have a point but I believe this is going to become an increasing point of arguments and confrontations between not only people that work nearby/on-site and public but also when public gets into fights amongst themselves over who gets what charging station, who got there first, etc. '

Seems odd to me though, that people that own electrics continually think that charging (and therefore energy) should be provided to them for free. It seems very presumptuous and entitled, IMO. I pay taxes too, does that mean the government should pay for my gasoline to run my car?

Anyway this will also be fixed eventually because all of these stations will also become paid-for/pay-per-use/paid-subscription etc. models when companies and government start to lose money on providing "free energy".

In the meantime good luck fighting the paramedics, that seems like a stand-up thing for you to do eh? lol
As an owner of multiple EVs, and knowing many others who own EVs, none of us expect nor think that we should be able to charge for free. I’ve really never seen anyone expect free charging to be honest.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27158 posts
7464 upvotes
joey003 wrote: As an owner of multiple EVs, and knowing many others who own EVs, none of us expect nor think that we should be able to charge for free. I’ve really never seen anyone expect free charging to be honest.
Soooo what's this thread about exactly then? Messing up the day of first-responders for fun? On either front, downvoted.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 8, 2007
8571 posts
9276 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: The paramedics have a point but I believe this is going to become an increasing point of arguments and confrontations between not only people that work nearby/on-site and public but also when public gets into fights amongst themselves over who gets what charging station, who got there first, etc. '

Seems odd to me though, that people that own electrics continually think that charging (and therefore energy) should be provided to them for free. It seems very presumptuous and entitled, IMO. I pay taxes too, does that mean the government should pay for my gasoline to run my car?

Anyway this will also be fixed eventually because all of these stations will also become paid-for/pay-per-use/paid-subscription etc. models when companies and government start to lose money on providing "free energy".

In the meantime good luck fighting the paramedics, that seems like a stand-up thing for you to do eh? lol
Personally I've got some popcorn ready and waiting to watch some of these fights. Can't wait.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 4, 2007
52 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton
ES_Revenge wrote: Soooo what's this thread about exactly then? Messing up the day of first-responders for fun? On either front, downvoted.
How is it messing up their day if I'm using a public station?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 4, 2008
6398 posts
5746 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are you a visitor of the paramedic station (on premise for a purpose)?
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
14790 posts
12053 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mystic827 wrote: How is it messing up their day if I'm using a public station?
You drive a PHEV. Something wrong with the electricity at home? So it’s not like you HAVE to charge here in order to make it home or wherever you’re going.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17877 posts
5846 upvotes
Toronto
I think the Paramedics are upset that you think the charging station can be used all the time to charge your vehicle for free rather than charge at home. Is the charging station meant to be used if you are running low or can't get somewhere rather than use it all the time to charge?
Sr. Member
Aug 13, 2011
584 posts
135 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
ES_Revenge wrote: Soooo what's this thread about exactly then? Messing up the day of first-responders for fun? On either front, downvoted.
The thread is about paramedics trying to make a public charger their own private charger.

Peel region says it's a public charger so it's public. Nobody lets a paramedic cut in line at the gas station, same deal here.
If the paramedic chose to live so far away that they HAVE to charge their car at work to make it home, I'd say that was a decision that they'll have to live with. Probably should have stuck with gas or PHEV if they
don't have an exclusive charging spot, which they currently do not.

Also, you can park beside the car that's charging and put a note on their windshield asking to be plugged in.
I haven't been to that particular location but usually the cable is long enough to plug in a vehicle one or two spots away.
Where I plug in, it's the norm to plug in the other guy when you are done your two hours of charging.
For the record, I'm not charging on your tax dollars. It's provided by the mall I work at. I also have a level 2 charger at home.
Not presumptuous nor entitled. Why would I turn down free charging?
I'd take free gas if it was offered too.
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2018
601 posts
1111 upvotes
MrMimizu wrote: The thread is about paramedics trying to make a public charger their own private charger.

Peel region says it's a public charger so it's public. Nobody lets a paramedic cut in line at the gas station, same deal here.
If the paramedic chose to live so far away that they HAVE to charge their car at work to make it home, I'd say that was a decision that they'll have to live with. Probably should have stuck with gas or PHEV if they
don't have an exclusive charging spot, which they currently do not.

Also, you can park beside the car that's charging and put a note on their windshield asking to be plugged in.
I haven't been to that particular location but usually the cable is long enough to plug in a vehicle one or two spots away.
Where I plug in, it's the norm to plug in the other guy when you are done your two hours of charging.
For the record, I'm not charging on your tax dollars. It's provided by the mall I work at. I also have a level 2 charger at home.
Not presumptuous nor entitled. Why would I turn down free charging?
I'd take free gas if it was offered too.

And how do you know the mall is not reimbursed/subsidized by the government to maintain this charger using our tax money?

That is the problem: why is there free/subsidized charging for EV while people have to pay extra carbon tax (not to mention free gas) for gas? Good for the environment ? That's just lying bull. It is utterly damaging to the environment to manufacture and recycle the battery used in those cars. And where do electricity come from? From the sky? The source of the electricity could be harmful for the environment too.

Top