• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2020 5:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2214 posts
3427 upvotes

Public Mobile 1GB Data Add-on Price Reduced to $15

As of today (March 31, 2020), the 1GB data add-on package at Public Mobile is priced at $15 (was $30). This add-on can only be added to an existing plan and cannot be used as a stand-alone plan.

I'm purposely not posting this as a "hot deal" because I don't think it's all that "hot", but a 50% price reduction is beter than nothing, and this thread is more of for information purposes than anything else. This add-on package allows customers to continue using data after the plan's main data amount has been used up. Any unused portions of the data add-on carry forward as long as the Public Mobile account is kept open. The speed of the data included with this 1GB add-on depends on the speed of data included in your base price plan (It gets set to full LTE speed if there is no data included in your base plan).

As always, anything that Public Mobile offers can be thought of as being offered for a limited time because they could make changes to the plans and add-ons offered at any time.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
8 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11553 posts
10529 upvotes
This may be the PM response during the COVID-19 to keep us connected. The $15 1GB add-on shows up only on the add-on purchase page. There is no official PM announcement yet.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $7 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3911 posts
2159 upvotes
Gotham
You would have gotten flamed in the hot deals section.

Are you using more data during this debacle? I figure people would be using less at they are at home most of the time. It seems pointless for them to even provide the discount.

I normally use about 1GB of mobile data per week. In the past two weeks, I've barely used 500mb.

This highlights the disparity between Canada and other countries for mobile rates. My add-on price is $3 per GB and I'm roaming in Canada.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1247 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote: As always, anything that Public Mobile offers can be thought of as being offered for a limited time because they could make changes to the plans and add-ons offered at any time.
That's true in general, but also note that they explicitly say "Limited time pricing", and the 200MB data add-on is still $10. So they definitely consider it as "limited time promo" instead of "new regular price until we change it again whenever".
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2214 posts
3427 upvotes
batcave wrote: You would have gotten flamed in the hot deals section.

Are you using more data during this debacle? I figure people would be using less at they are at home most of the time. It seems pointless for them to even provide the discount.

I normally use about 1GB of mobile data per week. In the past two weeks, I've barely used 500mb.

This highlights the disparity between Canada and other countries for mobile rates. My add-on price is $3 per GB and I'm roaming in Canada.
I'm using less data now with more Wi-Fi usage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2214 posts
3427 upvotes
embguy wrote: This may be the PM response during the COVID-19 to keep us connected. The $15 1GB add-on shows up only on the add-on purchase page. There is no official PM announcement yet.
There won't be any official annoucement. Also, this isn't in response to COVID-19. This $15 add-on was advertised earlier on the plan part of the Public Mobile website.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11553 posts
10529 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: There won't be any official annoucement. Also, this isn't in response to COVID-19. This $15 add-on was advertised earlier on the plan part of the Public Mobile website.
I checked on the plan part of the Public Mobile website earlier right after your OP. It was still $30 and the self-serve add-on page did changed to $15. My browser may be showing me old content.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $7 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan with a free tablet,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2214 posts
3427 upvotes
embguy wrote: I checked on the plan part of the Public Mobile website earlier right after your OP. It was still $30 and the self-serve add-on page did changed to $15. My browser may be showing me old content.
It's now showng $30 for 1GB on the webste for me now as well. I can assure you that the price is currently $15. Also, *611 may also be reporting $30 for this add-on. It's my understanding that even though the voice prompts might say that, customers will be charged $15 (for now) if the purchase is done from there as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2214 posts
3427 upvotes
The limited time status of this offer has been changed. The $15 for the 1GB add-on is now regular pricing.