1GB LTE Data add-on - 50% off - Limited Time Pricing

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 10:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7356 posts
464 upvotes
York
I signed up for Public Mobile 5 months ago, just before new years when they had the "1 free GB add on, and 2nd month free" promo. Took the $15/month plan. In the 5 months I've had the 1 gb add on, I've used 700mb (on top of my monthly 250mb allotment with the $15 plan). I figure I'll use the remaining 300mb in the next few months of the add on so I just bought this 1 gb for $15. Great deal for me as that 1 gb lasts ~8 months
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1616 posts
2896 upvotes
fortune500 wrote: You may if your monthly bill was only $13 + tax. Just to be safe, Never say Never ...
I use a this - So ya, never! LOL

https://www.kyoceramobile.com/duraxe/bell-canada/en/
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1616 posts
2896 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: If you use a phone with no data you'd get a better deal with the Freedom mobile 99/yr unlimited talk and text.
I wish!!! I'd LOVE to get my hands on that plan. I'm in Manitoba though. No Freedom here yet. I think ALL Telco companies should offer that deal!! LOL
$52 25GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Telus EPP Plan - Includes Apple Watch LTE @ NO CHARGE!
BYE BYE ROGERS!
$21.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
Fongo. Free CAD Calling.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
retrothing wrote: For the last time: Public uses LTE. It is simply throttled to 3Mbps up/down.
That's right, and I live in a palace...I just put the other 15,000 square feet of construction on hold! If they are only giving you 3G speed, then what's what you're getting. You're just playing with technical semantics. Notice that even Public doesn't refer to it as throttled LTE? A "decontented Lexus" is a Toyota. Don't be like the guy who buys a MB B-Class, and tells people he drives a luxury car. Nothing wrong with the car, but it is what it is.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1184 posts
844 upvotes
QuinteWest
Ruciz wrote: Are Koodo data add-ons one time purchases that don't expire? Public is. From what I gather with Koodo you pay for the option to use the data within a time frame or its gone and you need to refresh each month until the end of term. With public you can use this data until you cancel it don't go away.
Yes, I realize the two data plans are different. All I'm saying is we are paying too much for data. We have been ripped off so bad for so long that we think $15 for 1 GB is a good deal.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Paulie1RFD wrote: Yes, I realize the two data plans are different. All I'm saying is we are paying too much for data. We have been ripped off so bad for so long that we think $15 for 1 GB is a good deal.
If you think about it, people who subscribe to the big data postpaid plans, myself included, get ripped off most because most only use a fraction of the data limit, but pay the full ticket every month. This add-on, while more expensive on a per GB basis, at least lets the customer use every KB of that total limit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Spinner wrote:

If it weren't for the loyalty discounts, I'd switch to Lucky in a heartbeat. More data for the same money.
For $15 @ Lucky you would actually only lose incoming free calls one gets with $15 P.M.

EDIT: Actually, just took a look and these can't even compare...

PM is $13 with autopay;
PM plan has unlimited incoming voice calls;
PM data is roll-over 1GB/$15 while Lucky is $15/month for 2GB..
Last edited by max011 on May 17th, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Dunkster wrote: Actually, for most PM customers, the 1 GB data add on would be 3G speed, unless you are on grandfathered LTE plans, grandfathered $10 plan or the 1GB LTE data only plan. Most of the PM data plans are 3G speed, so the data add on would be 3G speed also.

This lower pricing for data add on has been going on since late March (Covid response). Good for PM customers on the lower usage plans since unused portion of add on does roll over to next month.

I would not consider this a hot deal though for most customers...
Actually, this is a price for at least a month before Covid.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't even beginning to understand why LTE would even matter on 1GB add-on.... Seriously...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5076 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA
max011 wrote: .
For $15 @ Lucky you would actually only lose incoming free calls one gets with $15 P.M.
The $15 Lucky plan doesn't include the unlimited data feature. You have to be on a $25 and above plan for that
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave98 wrote: The $15 Lucky plan doesn't include the unlimited data feature. You have to be on a $25 and above plan for that
Who said anything about unlimited data???
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5076 posts
2573 upvotes
GTA
max011 wrote: Who said anything about unlimited data???
It was implied in the context of the post you responded to. That poster specifically talked about more data for the same money when that isn't the case unless you're on a $25 plan
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
max011 wrote: I don't even beginning to understand why LTE would even matter on 1GB add-on.... Seriously...
Why wouldn't it matter, unless having LTE somehow "forces" you to do things with data that you normally wouldn't? A function that consumes x amount of data on 3G is going to consume the same amount on LTE. You would just be able to accomplish it faster. I don't understand why some people think LTE consumes more data for a given function or action. If your argument is since LTE is faster, it would give you more time, or "temptation" if you will, to perform more data-consuming action, then that would be an issue of self-discipline, not data speed. It's like if child is given a piece of his favourite cake, and he ate it slowly to make it last longer. Well, he would still have eaten the same amount of cake, if he gulped it down!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4870 posts
4543 upvotes
No Bum Deals
JAC wrote: :rolleyes: Pillock.
Up the Brits Person With Folded Hands

+1'd thread because nice Public Mobile and our two free accounts.
Also: 15 for a rollover non-expiring GB is good value IMO.
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Dave98 wrote: It was implied in the context of the post you responded to. That poster specifically talked about more data for the same money when that isn't the case unless you're on a $25 plan
Then the poster is dead wrong. You can compare $15PM vs Lucky plans for yourself. Exactly the same except for the differences I outlined in #49.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Rogido wrote: Why wouldn't it matter, unless having LTE somehow "forces" you to do things with data that you normally wouldn't? A function that consumes x amount of data on 3G is going to consume the same amount on LTE. You would just be able to accomplish it faster. I don't understand why some people think LTE consumes more data for a given function or action. If your argument is since LTE is faster, it would give you more time, or "temptation" if you will, to perform more data-consuming action, then that would be an issue of self-discipline, not data speed. It's like if child is given a piece of his favourite cake, and he ate it slowly to make it last longer. Well, he would still have eaten the same amount of cake, if he gulped it down!
Don't overthink too much what I said. Cuz you would [and are] wild guessing for no reason.

All I'm saying is that for couple of Kb or Mb used here and there speed wouldn't matter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14387 posts
4375 upvotes
VANCOUVER
max011 wrote: Don't overthink too much what I said. Cuz you would [and are] wild guessing for no reason.

All I'm saying is that for couple of Kb or Mb used here and there speed wouldn't matter.
Yeah, if it were just a "couple" of kb or mb...

And I wasn't wild guessing anything, I was clearing what appears to be a misconception about data speed and data consumption quantity.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5100 posts
7207 upvotes
Vancouver
Rogido wrote: Yeah, if it were just a "couple" of kb or mb...

And I wasn't wild guessing anything, I was clearing what appears to be a misconception about data speed and data consumption quantity.
No such misconception on my side.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)