Shopping Discussion

Public Mobile $40 (5GB, unlimited. Call/text)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2020 1:21 pm
[OP]
Jun 3, 2019
8 posts
17 upvotes

Public Mobile $40 (5GB, unlimited. Call/text)

Hey.
Anyone on the public mobile network? Is it any good? Currently with virgin mobile. Looking to switch.

Thx
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2174 posts
986 upvotes
Victoria
TELUS network, you’ll love it. Activate and try for a day before porting your number to be sure.
Dec 25, 2006
227 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Extremely good. Couldn't be happier.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15103 posts
16066 upvotes
Oakville
CoryH39885 wrote: Hey.
Anyone on the public mobile network? Is it any good? Currently with virgin mobile. Looking to switch.

Thx
Link to deal?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2440 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
It's a normal rate not really a deal, you only get 5GB if you sign up to auto pay otherwise it is 4.5. If you can wait they often have deals like second month free, free sim card, $10 off for 6 months, RBC had a deal as well not sure if it's on going. Also if you know anyone get a referral it will get you a $10 credit, sometimes $20 of Public is doing that.

Service is great same as Telus as someone pointed out. There is a negative for some which is no call centre you have to do everything via their community, as in online forum some people have to wait a while before getting resolution to issues. Also it is 3G which might be a negative for some but most if not everyone is fine with that speed even for watching youtube, other tasks like email, web browsing, social media you wont even notice.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10569 posts
894 upvotes
Vancouver
What you need to know:
-Telus network, A+
-Throttled LTE, fast enough for most use cases
-Prepaid, can't go over (if you do, buy an add-on or wait for billing cycle to end)
-Domestic add-ons roll over
-Slower forum-based customer service
-Don't offer devices, bring your own phone only
-No roaming except US (have to buy add-on)
-Save $2/mo with autopay
-Save $1/mo loyalty/year up to $5
-Save $1/mo for each referral
-Get referred for one-time discount
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2440 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
Amourek wrote: What you need to know:
-Telus network, A+
-Throttled LTE, fast enough for most use cases
-Prepaid, can't go over (if you do, buy an add-on or wait for billing cycle to end)
-Domestic add-ons roll over
-Slower forum-based customer service
-Don't offer devices, bring your own phone only
-No roaming except US (have to buy add-on)
-Save $2/mo with autopay
-Save $1/mo loyalty/year up to $5
-Save $1/mo for each referral
-Get referred for one-time discount
I would say using slower is a bit misleading, all other carriers you call and get a resolution almost immediately as they transfer you and escalate to the proper departments. With Public you're waiting at minimum one day to get a response for even the simplest things, it has been as high as 3 to 4 days leaving people without service for that long.

I only say this so prospective clients know how long the process actually takes. With that said their network is solid and downtime at least in my experience has been non existent.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3397 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
Throttled LTE is the biggest downside.

If you have a fast phone (maybe iPhone 8 or newer), you'll notice the difference in speed.
Dec 1, 2017
210 posts
174 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
I want to take over paying for my pop's current bare minimum Bell emergency phone with the $13 deal (100min unl incoming 250mb data). It is under my mom's billing account. Will this cause a discrepancy problem with the "Authorization Name" required as outline in this PM guideline?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... le/td-p/11

TIA
Do or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Triumph starts with a "try" and ends with an... "OOMPH!" --Memphis and Mumble