• Nov 3rd, 2015 12:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 14, 2014
3 posts
Milton, ON

Is Public Mobile any good?

Long story short, I need to drop WIND like a bad habit. Based on what I've read here, Public Mobile seems to be a bit like a no-frills, DIY version of Telus or Koodo given that it's a sister company and is presumably on their network.

Around here I see a lot of people recommending it, but on their Facebook page their visitors' posts are full of nothing but complaints and disgruntled customers. The main gripes seem to be about customer service. I don't really care about customer service as long as I can get reliable talk, text and LTE data with good coverage and service level.

I'm really thinking Public Mobile could work for me despite the disgruntled Facebookers. But I'm torn between Koodo and Public. Not sure if it's worth paying a bit more for Koodo. Thoughts?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2409 posts
1448 upvotes
Antarctica
Most facebookers are pretty dumb to start with.
Apr 17, 2014
978 posts
401 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I have one line on Public. Had a small issue with porting the number in the beginning. They eventually got it sorted and had no reason to call them since. Over a year now.

The people who post about Public have a beef. You never hear from those with no complaints, it's a weird phenomenon that causes errors in judgement. The Availability Heuristic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3773 posts
1050 upvotes
Home
4 members of my extended family have been using PM for 1+ year. No complaint so far, one of them is my wife and we have never had the need to contact them.
Everything is done online, which is all simple and easy.
Same network performance as my Koodo, very reliable.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20516 posts
9965 upvotes
Oakville
Poprocks wrote: on their Facebook page their visitors' posts are full of nothing but complaints and disgruntled customers.
That's because, in general, people aren't going to bother going to Facebook to say "Great work, Public Mobile! Bang up job!" - they're only going to go there to complain.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1674 posts
788 upvotes
Mississauga
We have 3 lines on Public Mobile. They offer excellent value. Yes, customer service is a problem if you run into a problem (account expired due to late payment, porting failed etc). But once you have everything set up (port number, pick plan, set up autopay), it should be smooth sailing.
[OP]
Sep 14, 2014
3 posts
Milton, ON
Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear, terry0703, that the performance is up to par with Koodo. Even with the plethora of issues I had with Wind, I never once called customer service. I'm just not that trigger happy with calling customer service, I find most of those lines are useless anyway.

I'll give 'em a shot and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, and I'll switch. Just crossing my fingers I won't have a problem porting my number, I really don't want to lose this cell number.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1635 posts
4232 upvotes
Pawtucket
Poprocks wrote: Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear, terry0703, that the performance is up to par with Koodo. Even with the plethora of issues I had with Wind, I never once called customer service. I'm just not that trigger happy with calling customer service, I find most of those lines are useless anyway.

I'll give 'em a shot and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, and I'll switch. Just crossing my fingers I won't have a problem porting my number, I really don't want to lose this cell number.
I ported to PM from Wind and it didn't have any problems. It took about 3 hours for the port to complete and its been smooth sailing since. I haven't encountered any problem's yet so I don't know how fast issued would be resolved if I had to contact them.
You can get an $2/month credit in your account if you sign-up for autopay.