• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2019 8:48 am
[OP]
Dec 9, 2009
24 posts
6 upvotes
Grande Prairie

Is Public Mobile any good?

I'm looking to switch from Freedom Mobile. I'm currently paying $45/month for unlimited talk/text and 7GB of Data. This would be great but the service is really spotty.

I met with a friend today who is on Public Mobile. She said the service is great because it's on the Telus network and its always fast with 4G speed.

Im confused because according to their website they only offer 3G.

Is their service actually reliable and fast? Do they throttle your speed? My friend made it sound very tempting but I'd like to be sure before signing up.

Any opinions?
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7635 posts
5142 upvotes
Canada
It's owned by Telus.
All their plans are on 4G LTE network. However most plans have speed limited to 3mbps (some are full speed like telus though).
3mbps is decent enough unless you're 4k streaming and is fine for 99% of uses.

As the other person said they don't have a call center. However Lucky Mobile (Bell's version of Public) has the same plans as public and they do have a call center
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Aug 6th, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12528 posts
11346 upvotes
I switched to PM from one Zoomer line last July for the purpose of getting a PM to Koodo migration lottery ticket. I was not planning to stay long. But I am not going to switch even PM/Koodo offer me to switch to Koodo. I am happy with PM and planning to switch another Zoomer lines to PM $13 plan with autopay for 100 CW minutes + 250MB plan and save about $10/m.

Although PM call the 3G plan, PM allows subscribers to use LTE but LTE speed will be throttled down to 3Mbps with the advantage of LTE low latency. But if you set your phone to 3G signal only, you will get full 3G signal speed of up to 6 - 7 Mbps.

PM does not have call centre. All supports are done on PM community forum moderators. Moderator wait time is up to 2 days. Therefore, if you have service issues, you may not have phone service for a few days. Therefore, I do not recommend PM if your job depends on a working phone or your are running a business.

PM is a DIY cellphone service. You need to know what to do when your data is not working. But you will get lots of help quickly with the members on the PM community forum. Therefore, it is a DIY service. But you can get help. It is like the freephoneline(FPL) VoIP home phone service that you have to know how to setup VoIP adaptor. But there is a huge thread at RFD on how to setup FPL service. I did that 4 years ago and happy with the free FPL service. When my VoIP adaptor failed couple of months ago, all I did was to get a new adaptor, configure it and my home phone is back online.

Do your own research to determine whether PM is for you. If yes, you will save money by DIY.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 4GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5950 posts
2464 upvotes
Debtario
I switched from Virgin and never looked back, the recent $5 price increase on my month to month plan broke the camel's back. Currently on the $23 unlimited call/text and 1G of data plan. I haven't noticed any difference in call quality/reception and texting, 3G data is fast enough for me.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
22080 posts
3314 upvotes
Toronto
Both my mom and father in law are on PM and it is perfect for them.

They need data for whatsapp, emails and youtube. Nothing data speed intensive.

The price point fits their budget. Very happy with pm.

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10626 posts
1048 upvotes
Vancouver
What you need to know:

-prepaid: if you hit your data limit you're cut off until your next cycle (otherwise you have to buy a data add-on to continue)
-BOYD: they don't offer phones
-Telus network: excellent in most regions
-slow customer service: forum based, no number to call
-"3G" is speed-capped LTE: perfectly fine for 95% of users
-rewards: autopay $2/mo, loyalty $1/mo per year, referral $1/mo per referral
-cost certainty: if you don't change your plan, they never increase the price (thus far, could change in the future)
<< Public Mobile, Uber Eats, DoorDash, Tangerine, Coast Capital, STACK user >>
FS: Phanteks Low Profile Cooler | Athlon X2 265
MY HEATWARE
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12528 posts
11346 upvotes
Amourek wrote: ...
-cost certainty: if you don't change your plan, they never increase the price (thus far, could change in the future)
PM did tried to raise the $120 120 days plan in 2018. PM subscribers filed huge amount of ccts complaint and PM canceled the increase.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 4GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Sep 30, 2012
116 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
PM 3G speed is perfectly fine for gaming and streaming vids (Netflix and Youtube), music (Spotify) and podcasts. I am very tempted to jump on the Freedom Mobile's $0 iPhone XR deal because PM doesn't offer phones.

And service wise, I never had an issue that I had to contact support for. If there ever was an issue, it was an issue that affected Telus/Koodo/PM in general.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1065 posts
1723 upvotes
Alberta
If you're in Grande Prairie or anywhere north or west (or east..) of Edmonton you should definitely be on the Telus network. Moving from Freedom you give up VoLTE, WiFi calling, unlimited data, Shaw Passpoint WiFi hotspots. PM doesn't support HD Voice, apparently. If something goes wrong on PM's side you'll have to wait for a forum moderator to respond.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8657 posts
1108 upvotes
PM is awesome. I have family members on them and we use to have a plan for my daughter. Still have the PM $15 but we are mostly on ATT now. I highly recommend PM for 90% of the people out there that don't need to stream 4k video on their phones.

Once everything is setup, how often do you call customer service? If you don't, then PM is great. Their website sucks though.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20917 posts
9176 upvotes
Toronto
OP, how much of that 7GB do you use? If you use all of it, you are looking at the $50/8GB plan as the comparable replacement. So, $5 more to get 1GB more, throttled LTE vs full speed on Freedom where you get a signal. I would say the switch is a compelling proposition. If your data needs are less than 7GB, there are options for plans that cost less than $45 which represent a savings. You are free to make plan changes for each and every renewal. There are no contracts forcing you to stick with a particular plan. Public Mobile does have good reward systems that can help to bring price down. The easiest is auto pay which drops price by $2/30 days. Loyalty reward is $1/30 days for each year you stay up to 5 years. Referral reward is $1/30 days for each customer you refer. Community rewards is hard work for little reward, not likely something the typical customer is interested in.

BTW, I am a Wind transplant. Three years ago, it cost me $15 more per month and 1GB less data to switch over to Public Mobile. I gave up a bunch of $25/5GB plans. With no reception, the plan was not with anything. No regrets with the move.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii