Deal Link:
Price:
$39
Savings:
53.5%
Retailer:
Public Mobile
Back in stock for $39. https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/phone ... e-cymbal-2

I know, not nearly as hot as the original $19 deal, but there are a few posts in the prepaid Telus and Freedom Mobile threads that mention the need for a simple phone for seniors.

As noted by many in the original thread, "Like New" phones were mostly pristine.

User Guide: https://support.bell.ca/_web/guides/Use ... de-v12.pdf

The Retail price for a new one at Freedom Mobile is $84.00
The Retail price for a new one at Telus is $85.00

See the individual threads for possible prepaid expiry offer dates. The phone delivery date will not likely line up with the SIM delivery dates if you order online.

Update

From my order confirmation.

"We’re busy preparing your order. Your order should arrive in 5-10 business days.
Along with your order, we’ve also given you a free SIM. Use it or pass it along - the power is in your hands!"
Images
  • PM cart - Copy.JPG
Thread Summary
MrMom wrote: @[jaksdj22]
Yes, all phones in Canada are unlocked except Bell and Virgin require you to put in one of their SIM cards first to unlock a new phone if you buy it from them. Posted in the Virgin and Bell threads.
Rogido wrote: Only for iPhones though, apparently.
47 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23579 posts
5746 upvotes
Toronto
My in-law's elderly neighbor has this phone and it keeps on freezing lately......no idea why......

My father-in-law basically has to pull the battery and do a hard reset every few days. Perhaps it needs a software update?

But other than that, the elderly neighbor loves the phone
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8953 posts
10098 upvotes
@jaksdj22
Yes, all phones in Canada are unlocked except Bell and Virgin require you to put in one of their SIM cards first to unlock a new phone if you buy it from them. Posted in the Virgin and Bell threads.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6592 posts
8380 upvotes
GTA
jaksdj22 wrote: unlocked?

It's been 5 years since locked phones were allowed in Canada. "SIM locking was ultimately banned in Canada on December 1, 2017"
Oct 22, 2012
6 posts
12 upvotes
GLOUCESTER
Nice one. great for kids for their first phones.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25564 posts
15409 upvotes
Toronto
Do these flip phones still have utility in the 21st century?
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile $40/15GB, $35/20GB, lot less with rewards
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Feb 13, 2008
332 posts
196 upvotes
London
will888 wrote: Do these flip phones still have utility in the 21st century?
Typically they are used to make phone calls.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
15167 posts
4970 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ji2o0k wrote: My in-law's elderly neighbor has this phone and it keeps on freezing lately......no idea why......

My father-in-law basically has to pull the battery and do a hard reset every few days. Perhaps it needs a software update?

But other than that, the elderly neighbor loves the phone
Due to recent arctic weather condition? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
15167 posts
4970 upvotes
VANCOUVER
MrMom wrote: @jaksdj22
Only for iPhones though, apparently.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2171 posts
964 upvotes
London
MrMom wrote: @jaksdj22
We got a pixel and gave it to a family member not with virgin. It worked ok. I think it is only for iPhone? Not sure
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1656 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP.

Will pick one up for the FIL since he only wants a dumb phone and prefers flip style. When his last one died (left it in his pocket and it went into the washing machine 🤣), I couldn't find a cheapo flip. Had to settle for a dumb bar style (think old school Nokia). But he still accidently butt dials and has trouble finding the small button to answer calls. Much easier to just open and close a flip phone.
Oct 11, 2006
251 posts
526 upvotes
Oh, the dumb phone come back is already upon us

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2008
8953 posts
10098 upvotes
hssironman wrote: Thanks OP.

Will pick one up for the FIL since he only wants a dumb phone and prefers flip style. When his last one died (left it in his pocket and it went into the washing machine 🤣), I couldn't find a cheapo flip. Had to settle for a dumb bar style (think old school Nokia). But he still accidently butt dials and has trouble finding the small button to answer calls. Much easier to just open and close a flip phone.
Tell me about it. Setting up my # on speed dial for my parents may have been a big mistake. Do you really have to press each number that long to dial a telephone number?
Aug 18, 2019
127 posts
158 upvotes
I am looking for old style phone which doesn't connect to internet at all. Like old Nokia 3310. I have koodo home phone sim and apparently, it does work in any cell phone just needed puk code what I have. I put in S6 and works but somehow got heavy data usage charges as this is home phone sim so I need phone who just do calls. Will this phone works for me?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3897 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
Hook it up with the telus 100 dollar unlimited boxing week plan and you are set.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3897 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
Pearl25 wrote: I am looking for old style phone which doesn't connect to internet at all. Like old Nokia 3310. I have koodo home phone sim and apparently, it does work in any cell phone just needed puk code what I have. I put in S6 and works but somehow got heavy data usage charges as this is home phone sim so I need phone who just do calls. Will this phone works for me?
If you can bork the apn settings, you should not be able to get data from any phone
Aug 18, 2019
127 posts
158 upvotes
bridonca wrote: If you can bork the apn settings, you should not be able to get data from any phone
You meant disable this? And internet never worked?
Images
  • Screenshot_20221230_171459_Settings.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3897 posts
2321 upvotes
Halifax
Pearl25 wrote: You meant disable this? And internet never worked?
Cellular data will not work. WiFi will