Hot Deals

[Public Mobile] Get $10 off for 6 Months when you activate on a $30+ plan and $25 referral

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 10:21 am
Oct 1, 2007
143 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
embguy wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 6:14 pm
Agree. Used SIM card cannot be used again.
But if your old account was suspended less than 90 days, you can re-activate your old account by paying for your plan again.
Then, you re-activated account will not qualify for the $10/30 days promo as it is for new activation only.
Therefore, it is better to spend the $10 for a new SIM and get 6x$10. Get a referral $10 credit to offset the SIM card cost. If you are a PC Optimum collector, you can redeem points to pay for your PM SIM card. While you are at TMS, ask whether you can redeem points to pay for your $30 plan as well. I have not tried to redeem points for PM plan cost. I did redeemed redeem point to buy PM SIM card. YMMV.
Is there a way to port my old pm number to the new pm number?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17174 posts
5595 upvotes
Toronto
DollarSqueezer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks
No easy way out, you have to port out and then back in.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Jun 12, 2016
36 posts
12 upvotes
I have a Montreal number and Quebec plan 2 GB for $32+tax with Fido and thinking of switching to PM $38 dollars 4.5 GB plan. I'm living in Toronto now so probably won't be able to get the Quebec plans with Fido again if I switch

Do you guys think it is worth switching?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17174 posts
5595 upvotes
Toronto
wh00ps wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:08 pm
I have a Montreal number and Quebec plan 2 GB for $32+tax with Fido and thinking of switching to PM $38 dollars 4.5 GB plan. I'm living in Toronto now so probably won't be able to get the Quebec plans with Fido again if I switch

It depends on whether 2GB is enough data. It is a no brainer to switch if it is not.
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1592 posts
467 upvotes
Mississauga
wh00ps wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:08 pm

Fido $32 for 2GB (LTE)
PM $38 for 4.5+0.5 = 5GB (LTE lite)

It depends on how much data you need. If 2GB is sufficient, then I would stick to Fido.
If you need more data, additional $6/month is worth it for additional 3GB. But keep in mind PM is LTE lite which is LTE limited to 3mbps
Public Mobile Promo $10/mo off for 6 months
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11836 posts
45 upvotes
Darn it. Just got my wife on that free sim + free month of service deal.
Should've waited.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2013
1592 posts
467 upvotes
Mississauga
sfu_lifer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 5:34 pm
Darn it. Just got my wife on that free sim + free month of service deal.
Should've waited.
Promo until March 4, can get your girlfriend on it
Public Mobile Promo $10/mo off for 6 months
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
1987 posts
249 upvotes
Despite being repulsed by the whole 3G idea, activated a 2GB plan for an elder, I was struck how the Walmart treated the PM experience.
Testing the SIM then repeating that I would be on my own as there is no call center for resolving a problem.
Also there is no mention of the 10 discount anywhere on the contract.

PS: telus and BELL should really be exposed how they fleece eldery and poor people in small towns with horrible plans as their flank brands are not available locally.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17174 posts
5595 upvotes
Toronto
andreid wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 5:54 pm
Despite being repulsed by the whole 3G idea, activated a 2GB plan for an elder, I was struck how the Walmart treated the PM experience.
Testing the SIM then repeating that I would be on my own as there is no call center for resolving a problem.
Also there is no mention of the 10 discount anywhere on the contract.

PS: telus and BELL should really be exposed how they fleece eldery and poor people in small towns with horrible plans as their flank brands are not available locally.
It is a real weakness of Public Mobile. If you get stuck, customer service is up to 48 hour away. That said, 100% of the problems encountered at the kiosks is user error. Those agents at the kiosk are messing up the activations. I have processed easily over 30 activations for myself and friends. Not once has an activation failed. Not once has a number port failed. The only glitch I have encountered is failures in restarting a suspended account. This is 100% a problem with the self serve portal. There is only one button to click to resume the account. The account goes to active status but nothing works.
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2849 posts
2190 upvotes
Muskoka
will888 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:51 pm
It is a real weakness of Public Mobile. If you get stuck, customer service is up to 48 hour away. That said, 100% of the problems encountered at the kiosks is user error. Those agents at the kiosk are messing up the activations. I have processed easily over 30 activations for myself and friends. Not once has an activation failed. Not once has a number port failed. The only glitch I have encountered is failures in restarting a suspended account. This is 100% a problem with the self serve portal. There is only one button to click to resume the account. The account goes to active status but nothing works.
I also have setup numerous friends/family on PM without a glitch.

I have also heard of issues when people 'downgrade' to a lower cost plan sometimes there were issues. I purposely tested this. I had a temp plan for someone visiting, it was a $25 plan. I changed to $10 plan and set to change at next renewal. It went fine, no problems. Then I let this same plan slip into suspension. After 60 days or so I wanted to reactivate knowing that sometimes this causes issues. I simply logged in and clicked reactivate plan, used the credit card on file. It was up and running within 30 seconds, no problems again.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17174 posts
5595 upvotes
Toronto
spotts01 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 7:46 am
I also have setup numerous friends/family on PM without a glitch.

I have also heard of issues when people 'downgrade' to a lower cost plan sometimes there were issues. I purposely tested this. I had a temp plan for someone visiting, it was a $25 plan. I changed to $10 plan and set to change at next renewal. It went fine, no problems. Then I let this same plan slip into suspension. After 60 days or so I wanted to reactivate knowing that sometimes this causes issues. I simply logged in and clicked reactivate plan, used the credit card on file. It was up and running within 30 seconds, no problems again.
There is an issue with upgrading a plan. It seems like the payment system still thinks the old payment applies. The part of the system that looks after the plan changes recognizes the update. The two clash and you end up with a suspended account due to insufficient payment because the payment system did not take enough money from the credit card. I have experienced this a couple of time.

There are also issues with account reactivation. It is far from 100% foolproof. I usually suspend accounts by declaring lost phone. When I want to restart the account, I declare the phone has been found. Most of the time, reactivation after declaring phone found will only restore the account to active status but the plan features don't load up. Neither calling, texting or data work. However, MMS which is unmetered data works fine. I have had enough accounts and played around with enough features to know the pitfalls of which there are quite a number unfortunately. Public Mobile is aware but solution seems to be difficult.
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2849 posts
2190 upvotes
Muskoka
Yes - I agree. PM can be frustrating if you change something and get caught in the swamp. But if you know how to dance through it you should be ok.

Having said that, if you are just fine with your current plan and you remember to update your credit card before it expires, you will likely never experience any problematic issues. And that has been the case for all of my personal contacts on PM.
Koodo
Public Mobile
Mar 12, 2018
95 posts
91 upvotes
How long does it take to get a Sim? Ordered Friday, Xpress post, and still nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3028 posts
1186 upvotes
Halifax
DollarSqueezer wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks
Do you feel lucky? I would set up a new account with a new number, and take advantage of the deal. I would then port over the old number to some Bell or flanker prepaid SIM card, whatever is cheaper or available, and once successful, port to the new Public mobile account. If you are lucky, it will be automated and work within hours. If there is a glitch, who know how long it will sort out?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
17174 posts
5595 upvotes
Toronto
pallidman wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 3:28 pm
How long does it take to get a Sim? Ordered Friday, Xpress post, and still nothing.
Try to track the whereabouts of your order.

https://www.canadapost.ca/trackweb/en#/home
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Phi8ly