3816 upvotes
Muskoka

It's Back! $45 CdaWide and 5.5GB at 3G (LTE Lite) speed

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Public Mobile
It's back

Effective July 26th, 2018, we are bringing back our 5.5 GB at 3G speed for $45 plan for a limited time only!

Plan details:

$45 for 5.5 GB at 3G speed

30-day plan
5.5 GB of data at 3G speed
Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
Unlimited International Text and Picture Messaging
New and current customers are eligible
Last edited by spots01 on Jul 26th, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Share:
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5000 posts
885 upvotes
Toronto
change your title man....3G is 3G not LTE light
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2529 posts
1859 upvotes
GTA
marktang wrote: change your title man....3G is 3G not LTE light
It is a representation of what it is. With PM, it is LTE but capped at 3G speed.

Just like you handle "marktang", you are not marktang (Perhaps your name is Mark Tang, but you are not marktang. But marktang is to signify that it represents Mark Tang assuming that is the name.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4858 posts
4522 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Here we go again :facepalm:
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Banned
Apr 5, 2015
1281 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto, ON
*brings out the popcorn*
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3626 upvotes
West GTEH!
pooper wrote: Here we go again :facepalm:
futabasan wrote: *brings out the popcorn*
*and drinks*
😎
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1162 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I still think the $40 plan is better if you don't need 1GB extra data.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1571 posts
142 upvotes
Unsure the extra $5 is worth it for 1gb more, but maybe for some it is. Don't forget the $10 credit you receive for being referred to PM. Offsets the cost of the Sim card.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
647 upvotes
Actually, all this gimmick about pseudo "3G" i.e. in fact a capped-LTE speed is pure nonsense.

PM is a prepaid service.

So why on Earth would it matter to them how fast their customers
burn their pre-allocated data quotas, being it in seconds or in months?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2453 posts
2385 upvotes
Ottawa
So many Public Mobile threads! will888 has added this plan to his OP over here, kind of a consolidated "here's PM's deals" thread: public-mobile-4-5gb-3g-unlimited-canada ... gb-2208617
I am a current Koodo customer
Feb 1, 2007
853 posts
167 upvotes
Aurora
re-re-re-post
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1162 posts
1209 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tichi wrote: Actually, all this gimmick about pseudo "3G" i.e. in fact a capped-LTE speed is pure nonsense.

PM is a prepaid service.

Speak for yourself. LTE is not just about data, it is the overall signal quality and penetration. I can tell you, combined with Bell and Telus's towers, PM is ten times more reliable than Freedom if you compare the prices.
Also, prepaid service means you will never go over your usage, like data and calls. The data can be topped up if you need it.
Koodo $40 13GB!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5000 posts
885 upvotes
Toronto
DragOnT wrote: It is a representation of what it is. With PM, it is LTE but capped at 3G speed.

Just like you handle "marktang", you are not marktang (Perhaps your name is Mark Tang, but you are not marktang. But marktang is to signify that it represents Mark Tang assuming that is the name.
pooper wrote: Here we go again :facepalm:
futabasan wrote: *brings out the popcorn*
Webhead wrote: *and drinks*
ok i am wrong. it's freaking LTE network with 3G speed :facepalm:
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7850 posts
8009 upvotes
Tichi wrote: Actually, all this gimmick about pseudo "3G" i.e. in fact a capped-LTE speed is pure nonsense.

PM is a prepaid service.

This is marketing. Positioning is VERY important in marketing.

The big 3 segment their offerings into 3 tiers: Rogers>Fido>Chatr, Bell>Virgin>Lucky, Telus>Koodo>PM

As with most industries where there are multiple segments, the challenge is for every tier to grab as much market share as possible from equivalent competition, but to ONLY grab market share in their respective market.

For example: You don't want somebody in the Lexus market to buy a Toyota model instead (this was the issue Toyota had with the Venza, it was basically an RX3xx, but much cheaper, and it cannibalized RX3xx sales).

So, for PM, you want an offering that is more appealing to people then Lucky/Chatr, but you don't want somebody who would normally go for Koodo to use PM instead.

There are various switches you can throw to guide customers where you want. The most obvious is price, and that is indeed the first thing people look at. You modulate things further by mucking about with other things. Phones subsidies are one (none of the Tier 3 have that), prepaid vs. postpaid is another (most Tier 2 offer both, Tier 1s tend to be removing or vastly restricting prepaid options).

Finally, features are a useful switch. Tier 3 tend to be lackluster in "enhancements", i.e. VoLTE is always introduced first with the Tier 1s, slowly added to Tier 2, and only after a long while Tier 3. When LTE was new the Tier 2s got access to LTE way after the Tier ones.

So, in this case, the "feature" is speed: if you care about speed then this Tier 3 is not for you, and that will force you to move up. If speed isn't important then this one might be for you.

It's a touch balance to set up, and even harder to maintain since the market isn't static, it's constantly changing, with competitors throwing new wrenches into the mix.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
4858 posts
4522 upvotes
No Bum Deals
marktang wrote: ok i am wrong. it's freaking LTE network with 3G speed :facepalm:
No. It's not 3G speed. It's LTE speed up to a cap. You really don't notice any difference. WAY less latency than 3G. It's NOT 3G and it's NOT 3G speed.
PM calling it 3G is probably due to semantics and not stepping on the big boys toes. A perceived lower service offering (which technically it is).
Last edited by pooper on Jul 26th, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I need ammunition, not a ride.

©Zelensky 2022
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23603 posts
12796 upvotes
Toronto
SureshA720227 wrote: Speak for yourself. LTE is not just about data, it is the overall signal quality and penetration. I can tell you, combined with Bell and Telus's towers, PM is ten times more reliable than Freedom if you compare the prices.
Also, prepaid service means you will never go over your usage, like data and calls. The data can be topped up if you need it.
Back in the early days when LTE meant a band 4 connection, it was often more reliable to connect to the 3G network. As slow as roll outs reach the Public Mobile door, they are receiving LTE-A now. With Bellus repurposing some of their 3G spectrum to LTE, band 5 is becoming as popular and band 4. There is also band 12/17. Lots of low frequency options to ensure a good indoor signal.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
647 upvotes
SureshA720227 wrote: Speak for yourself. LTE is not just about data, it is the overall signal quality and penetration. I can tell you, combined with Bell and Telus's towers, PM is ten times more reliable than Freedom if you compare the prices.
Ya, ure right of course, but what does it have to do with the main idea of my post? All I'm saying: PM does not gain anything from capping the speed :) Nor its customers (unless they are some compulsive data-eaters :) ..
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
7850 posts
8009 upvotes
Tichi wrote: All I'm saying: PM does not gain anything from capping the speed :)
You're 100% right, PM doesn't gain anything, in fact it's a detriment to them. But Telus? Telus gains, since it forces customers to an upper Tier (hopefully a Telus Tier). See my other post.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)